Bracket Projections Talk

ellitor

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Nuts to think we lost to Barry...

Not really. I've seen teams before lose their D2 exhibition games then have great seasons. Pearl did it once or twice while at Tennessee.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:06 AM, ellitor said:

Not really. I've seen teams before lose their D2 exhibition games then have great seasons. Pearl did it once or twice while at Tennessee.

If I’m not mistaken, Connecticut, or someone who has recently won the national championship actually lost one of their exhibitions the year they won it all

New brackets out. ESPN & CBS kept us a 2 seed in the South. 55 brackets have been updated on Bracket matrix since Saturday. We are a 1 seed in 17 of them & are in a tight battle w/ Xavier, Kansas, & Duke for the 4th overall #1 seed.

I know it’s great to be a one seed. But if a two seed has the team playing in the south rather than going to the west coast as a one seed, is there any advantage? More auburn fans, less travel etc. I have zero knowledge relative to this, so may be a dumb question. 

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

I know it’s great to be a one seed. But if a two seed has the team playing in the south rather than going to the west coast as a one seed, is there any advantage? More auburn fans, less travel etc. I have zero knowledge relative to this, so may be a dumb question. 

Even if AU is a 1 seed in the West their 1st 2 round games would be in Nashville. They would then go to LA for the Sweet 16 & Elite 8.

I believe the Tournament Selection Committee will release their top 16 teams, seeded 1-4 in each region, on Saturday. Basically it’s how they see the tourney if it started on Saturday. Should give us an idea how the committee views our resume. 

I see little difference between being a 1 or a 2, so given my choice of a 2 in the South or a 1 in the West, I'll stay at 2 for the chance to play the 2nd weekend 90 miles from campus.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Even if AU is a 1 seed in the West their 1st 2 round games would be in Nashville. They would then go to LA for the Sweet 16 & Elite 8.

I had no idea that’s how it worked. Thx

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I see little difference between being a 1 or a 2, so given my choice of a 2 in the South or a 1 in the West, I'll stay at 2 for the chance to play the 2nd weekend 90 miles from campus.

Agreed. I think we’re almost guaranteed a spot in Nashville the first weekend with a top 2 seed. I’d love to also be in Atlanta if we make the second weekend, which I think we have a better shot at as a 2 seed. 

I see where Auburn's SOS is 13th in the league. And 67th in the country. I imagine Auburn will lose 2 or 3 more games and end up a 5 or 6 seed before it is all said and done.

50 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I see where Auburn's SOS is 13th in the league. And 67th in the country. I imagine Auburn will lose 2 or 3 more games and end up a 5 or 6 seed before it is all said and done.

That’s ESPN’s BPI projections. I believe the NCAA’s numbers are a little lower on our team sheet. 

even losing 2-3 games would still keep us as a top 4 seed IMO.  Depends on who and where we lose to.  Although everyone on the regular schedule remaining is a currently projected tourney team.

Joe Lunardi currently has Auburn a #2 seed in the South, opening against Wright St. in Nashville at Bridgestone Arena. Guess who he pegged as a #10 seed in the same gym... Middle Tennessee State. I find that laughable. I know we have a long way to go, but if Auburn reaches 27+ wins and gets rewarded by potentially having to play Middle Tennessee State in the Round of 32, then that would be absolutely absurd. We lost to them on that same floor 2 years ago, and had a tough time putting them away in B'ham this year. That would not be a game to look forward to imo.

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

even losing 2-3 games would still keep us as a top 4 seed IMO.  Depends on who and where we lose to.  Although everyone on the regular schedule remaining is a currently projected tourney team.

Not quite. I haven't seen SCe on many  brackets lately & UGA is squarely on thr bubble out on a number of brackets.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

I imagine Auburn will lose 2 or 3 more games and end up a 5 or 6 seed before it is all said and done.

W/ due respect no way AU is a 5 or 6 seed if they lose 2 or 3 of their final 8 games given how tough the entire remaining schedule is. We would still win the SEC at worst 14-4. Given the SEC is considered a top 3 conference right now, no way we aren't a top 4 seed in that scenario. I just did a simulation on RPI Wizard w/ 3 more losses. Our RPI would still project to be 7th. I'll go 1 step further. It would be unlikely we would be lower than a 3 seed unless we lost a quarterfinal SEC Tourney game to a LSU type.

Wow...Kentucky turned the ball over twice in the last 25 seconds and let UT come from behind to beat them UK..  :cats out of the race now I guess but UT still a factor... And State gonna take care of bama.....NICE>.... 

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wow...Kentucky turned the ball over twice in the last 25 seconds and let UT come from behind to beat them UK..  :cats out of the race now I guess but UT still a factor... And State gonna take care of bama.....NICE>.... 

Bama is the most weirdly mercurial team in this conference. One minutes it looks like they could blow out anyone in this conference, the next they’re losing to Vandy. 

Miss state has found their groove. They have been impressive of late. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Miss state has found their groove. They have been impressive of late. 

So has Mizzou. As long as we keep winning I hope they & UT keep winning so our best 2 wins keep looking better & better.

With their loss today, UK looks to be in trouble, especially since they’re about to hit the Alabama buzzsaw this week with AU in Auburn Arena Tuesday and Saturday Bama (the iteration that blows out good teams) at home come Saturday. 

@ Auburn
Alabama
@ Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
@Florida

They’re 17-8 (6-6). Finishing below .500 in conference play looks like a real possibility. Could they miss out on the dance?

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

With their loss today, UK looks to be in trouble, especially since they’re about to hit the Alabama buzzsaw this week with AU in Auburn Arena Tuesday and Saturday Bama (the iteration that blows out good teams) at home come Saturday. 

@ Auburn
Alabama
@ Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
@Florida

They’re 17-8 (6-6). Finishing below .500 in conference play looks like a real possibility. Could they miss out on the dance?

Yep...heard some discussion last night about them missing the big dance......who would have ever thought that? 

Cal has some problems ....some guys not hustling and totally lost on defense.....a couple times he pulled guys after a no-effort play and sat 'em down....and had some words with them.   Coaching "one and done" kids is probably the hardest job in basketball.   Guess maybe you can have too much talent too. 

Just a quick reminder that at 11:30 on CBS the NCAA Tournament Committee will announce their current top 16 seeds. This is the 2nd year they have done this and it will be interesting to see where Auburn is in the Committee's eyes.I think we will be 7-9. Fun Fact: Everyone who was in the Top 16 last year made the big dance.

Archived