Bracket Projections Talk

ellitor

38 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

ESPN's bracket prediction has Tennessee in the south region (Atlanta) playing in Nashville for the first two rounds. Auburn is out in the west playing in Dallas for the two rounds. I will be pissed if this turns out to be the case. 

I saw that as well. I imagine they're taking into account last 5 reg season games played, which I thought the committee wasn't really going to do.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s Auburn. Of course they might try to mess us up. Lol

7 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I saw that as well. I imagine they're taking into account last 5 reg season games played, which I thought the committee wasn't really going to do.

That's the problem...nobody knows.  

My observation is that the committee usually comes up with "rational" explanations to explain the outcome.   JMO but it's about TV marketing, distribution of teams from the same conference and a number of other things that the committee thinks will generate revenue.   I don't think there is any way to outguess what they will end up with. 

Also gotta take into consideration UT probably has an edge on us right now. We are a man down and 3-2 since we lost Anfernee and they have been rolling. The committee will look at that and probably say UT is the stronger team right now which when they decide where to put both of us may give them a more favorable location.

The way I see it there 9 teams for the 2/3 seeds.

Duke/Kansas (I think one of them will be the last 1 seed, the other will be a 2 unless both with their Con Tourneys and Xavier loses early, which would make X a 2)

UNC

Cincinnati

Auburn

Purdue

Tennessee

Wichita St

Michigan

Michigan St

I don't really think Michigan St has the resume to be a 2 or 3 seed, but I'm not sure how the committee will operate. If the committee sticks to numbers, that helps Auburn. Right now, I'd have it in the order I listed it with Auburn as the last 2 seed. For us to go to Nashville the opening weekend, we need to be near the top of that 2 seed line. Otherwise, we probably go to Dallas. For us to be in the South Region, we either need to move up the 2 seed line or fall to the top of the 3 seed line. There are just a lot of Midwestern and Southern teams vying for the 2 and 3 seeds, which is going to make it difficult for us to land in advantageous geographical areas.

23 hours ago, Tiger said:

Also gotta take into consideration UT probably has an edge on us right now. We are a man down and 3-2 since we lost Anfernee and they have been rolling. The committee will look at that and probably say UT is the stronger team right now which when they decide where to put both of us may give them a more favorable location.

Yes, they are very big on how you finish, which is why a certain team across the state might be on the outside looking in. They want teams that are playing well right now for the at large bids and UT is playing very well. If they happen to run the table this weekend like I expect, I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump to the first 2 seed.

This will sure be different. 

By Creg Stephenson

cstephenson@al.com

The NCAA tournament selection show has a new television home and a new format, according to a release Tuesday by Turner Sports.

The show will air on TBS for the first time on Sunday, after more than 30 years on CBS. And gone are the bracket pairings being revealed one-by-one according to region.

Instead, all 68 teams that made the NCAA tournament field will be revealed in alphabetical order early in the show. The teams will then be placed into first-round pairings and regions as the show goes along.

15 minutes ago, gr82be said:

This will sure be different. 

By Creg Stephenson

cstephenson@al.com

The NCAA tournament selection show has a new television home and a new format, according to a release Tuesday by Turner Sports.

The show will air on TBS for the first time on Sunday, after more than 30 years on CBS. And gone are the bracket pairings being revealed one-by-one according to region.

Instead, all 68 teams that made the NCAA tournament field will be revealed in alphabetical order early in the show. The teams will then be placed into first-round pairings and regions as the show goes along.

Nice change imo

I don't like the change personally. I loved seeing the reactions of the teams who didn't know if they were in or not to see their name pop up on the screen. It might even be the most appealing part of the process to me. 

59 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Why is no one celebrating the fact that since we won the SEC Regular season that we have a birth in the NIT????:Sing:

Haha I can just see pregnant Aubie squeezing out a baby Tiger on the sideline. 

On 3/6/2018 at 9:54 AM, jared52 said:

Yes, they are very big on how you finish, which is why a certain team across the state might be on the outside looking in. They want teams that are playing well right now for the at large bids and UT is playing very well. If they happen to run the table this weekend like I expect, I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump to the first 2 seed.

This isn’t a criteria of the selection committee anymore. It’s not like a few years ago when the last 10 games statistic was used. 

15 hours ago, AUDub said:

NC State lost. Good news for us. 

How is that news in either direction for us? They were in the 50s in RPI and dropped to 63 with the loss. That game had very little impact on Auburn.

2 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

How is that news in either direction for us? They were in the 50s in RPI and dropped to 63 with the loss. That game had very little impact on Auburn.

Agree...think what AU does is what is gonna matter and unless someone blows us out in our first game, we will not move much one way or the other.  The guys doing the daily seeding reports are just trying to stay in the news.  The committee will have it's own "agenda". 

21 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Hurts UT. 

54 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

They were a win for UT. So, a win diminishing for UT helps us potentially stay ahead of them in the RPI/Team Sheet/Seeding discussion.

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Hurts UT. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

They were a win for UT. So, a win diminishing for UT helps us potentially stay ahead of them in the RPI/Team Sheet/Seeding discussion.

Not really, they were a group 2 win for UT either way. Probably would have needed to win multiple ACC tournament games to move to group 1. I guess they no longer have the ability to do that, but the single game yesterday made little difference.

5 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Not really, they were a group 2 win for UT either way. Probably would have needed to win multiple ACC tournament games to move to group 1. I guess they no longer have the ability to do that, but the single game yesterday made little difference.

This "quad" system is tough to read....but as noted, teams in the same quad are more or less rated the same and what the committee is supposed to look at is the number of wins in each quad, not the individual ranking of team....or that's what I've been told at least.   

Either way...should be interesting this year without any truly dominant teams.....and  I still hear taking heads saying they vote for the teams they "trust"....which mostly means, teams that have been there before I guess. 

7 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

With a win, they could have moved up to a Q1 win for UT. Them losing was good news. 

11 minutes ago, AUDub said:

With a win, they could have moved up to a Q1 win for UT. Them losing was good news. 

I think I'm more along the lines of AU64 and the seeding for AU and UT will likely have more to do with how both perform in the SEC tournament. I have a feeling the team that goes further (or if either win the tournament) will get the higher seed of the 2.  There may be slight variances in teams moving from Q1 to Q2 or vice versa, but the RPIs will likely remain within a few spots of each other and a good way to differentiate between the teams will be their SEC tournament performances.

2 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/ Down to a 4 in the south. Has us playing in San Diego 

Guess I'm not surprised....probably will be banished to the outer reaches for what was a bad looking loss. 

Lunardi has us at 3. Jerry Palm, too. I think it depends on how West Virginia plays at the championship game against Kansas. If Mountaineers win, they’re going to steal our seed. We’re overseeded, IMO.

Archived