Recruiting against Bama, UGA, & the Vols

shabby

Dramatic I know, but I'm thinking about Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama, all in a good position to light it up with recruiting. Bama consistently over the years. Georgia recruiting lights out this year. and I suspect Pruitt will have Tennessee back in the minds of recruits. And here sits Auburn, centered and competing for recruits. I'm actually amazed Auburn has fielded top ten classes with Bama doing so well. Now Georgia is adding a whole new level of competition for recruits. If Mullen brings Florida back as I suspect, the triangle will turn into a square of DOOOOOMMMM!!!!   Seriously though, how much tougher did it just get to recruit with the new coaching changes and the Georgia explosion. I'm interested in what others with more knowledge about the process of recruiting has to say about the challenges for Auburn and where the recruiting path lies for us in order to continue fielding top ten classes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As @Mikey alluded to last week. This is nothing new. AU has battled these teams forever & always will. Another thing to remember is 3 of those teams are in the same division. They may recruit great in the short run but in the reality is 1 or 2 of those staffs will not be there long. 1 will cannibalize the other 2 on the field or 2 will cannibalize the 3rd. Also the influx in high school talent in Georgia & Florida are at unprecedented levels for those states. Florida is a clear #1 & Georgia is right there with Texas for #2. in state talent. There is enough talent in those states to go around. There's too much talent in South Florida for Miami to take it all even though they will get their picks. If Taggart doesn't bring FSU back to elite level there is a huge area in Central & North Florida to be attacked recruiting wise even if Florida does gets its share. Lastly, same with Georgia as Miami. There is just too much talent in that state for Georgia to get all of it. The path lies where it always has: Alabama, Georgia, & Florida. I would like to see our staff keep more and better tabs on kids they like on a national level given how many staff changes there are on a yearly basis & knowing that relationships with coaches win most recruiting battles. I would like to see our staff in better position to take advantage of those major changes.

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As @Mikey alluded to last week. This is nothing new. AU has battled these teams forever & always will. Another thing to remember is 3 of those teams are in the same division. They may recruit great in the short run but in the reality is 1 or 2 of those staffs will not be there long. 1 will cannibalize the other 2 on the field or 2 will cannibalize the 3rd. Also the influx in high school talent in Georgia & Florida are at unprecedented levels for those states. Florida is a clear #1 & Georgia is right there with Texas for #2. in state talent. There is enough talent in those states to go around. There's too much talent in South Florida for Miami to take it all even though they will get their picks. If Taggart doesn't bring FSU back to elite level there is a huge area in Central & North Florida to be attacked recruiting wise even if Florida does gets its share. Lastly, same with Georgia as Miami. There is just too much talent in that state for Georgia to get all of it. The path lies where it always has: Alabama, Georgia, & Florida. I would like to see our staff keep more and better tabs on kids they like on a national level given how many staff changes there are on a yearly basis & knowing that relationships with coaches win most recruiting battles. I would like to see our staff in better position to take advantage of those major changes.

Was hoping for your viewpoint! thanks for taking the time to post.

Taggart will recruit well at FSU going forward.  Mullin will be average at best nothing like the Meyer years.  Pruitt will recruit Atlanta , Memphis, Nashville, North Carolina and north Alabama like a mad man.  It might actually help us in the long run even if we lose a player here or there.  Taking some of that Carolina strangle hold Clemson has right now will be good.  

We will still get ours.  The high school players over the next few years will remember Cam and see Cam in the NFL.  To everyone but us our offense is a scoring machine.  Our rivals may say high school offense and all but we are one to the top units in the conference year in and year out.  We aren’t going anywhere as long as we don’t screw ourselves up.

9 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Clemson recruitng strong as always too. .  Maybe the 10th coach hire is for us to retreat back a little and grab a kid or two out of Mississippi.  

Given his Mississippi ties that's very possible.

We are also going to be battling a huge issue, it has started already.  Mentioned this in another thread, but Kirby and Nick are starting to use another tactic against our offensive recruiting.   They are pointing out that Gus has failed to develop a successful offensive player in the NFL that he brings in as a freshman.   Not that if they got drafted or not but have they had success.  They can't do it defensively against Steele for obvious reasons.  

I agree that there is a ton of talent in our main areas, but the elite is gonna get tougher and already has in this cycle.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

We are also going to be battling a huge issue, it has started already.  Mentioned this in another thread, but Kirby and Nick are starting to use another tactic against our offensive recruiting.   They are pointing out that Gus has failed to develop a successful offensive player in the NFL that he brings in as a freshman.   Not that if they got drafted or not but have they had success.  They can't do it defensively against Steele for obvious reasons.  

I agree that there is a ton of talent in our main areas, but the elite is gonna get tougher and already has in this cycle.

Doesn't the "new tactic" sound like grasping at straws? It does to me. In any case, their big weapon about Gus being on the hot seat is shot so they had to come up with something, no matter how weak it is.

Quote from above: Gus has failed to develop a successful offensive player in the NFL that he brings in as a freshman.   Not that if they got drafted or not but have they had success.

How many of those has Kirby had? Zero. Any kid that can count will immediately see the BS in this. Gus is just now getting into his 5th recruiting year here. It's impossible for him to have signed a HS player that has been in the NFL long enough to "have had success". A kid that falls for that is too stupid to pass college courses anyway. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about this miserable attempt at negativity.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Doesn't the "new tactic" sound like grasping at straws? It does to me. In any case, their big weapon about Gus being on the hot seat is shot so they had to come up with something, no matter how weak it is.

Quote from above: Gus has failed to develop a successful offensive player in the NFL that he brings in as a freshman.   Not that if they got drafted or not but have they had success.

How many of those has Kirby had? Zero. Any kid that can count will immediately see the BS in this. Gus is just now getting into his 5th recruiting year here. It's impossible for him to have signed a HS player that has been in the NFL long enough to "have had success". A kid that falls for that is too stupid to pass college courses anyway. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about this miserable attempt at negativity.

it is happening, call it what you want.  

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

I don’t think we’ve struggled recruiting offensive talent here so I’m not worried about it.

I think we've struggled developing it to it's fullest though.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The system Auburn runs? How we pigeonhole players into certain roles and rarely deviate?

Just now, aufan57 said:

The system Auburn runs? How we pigeonhole players into certain roles and rarely deviate?

The pigeonholing mostly, but in combination with the lack of player utilization.

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It may be happening, but I don't see it being the least bit successful. It's more like something for our recruiters to point at and laugh while they are talking to prospects.

35 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It's not a college coaches responsibility for pro succes although it's nice. That's on the player & his pro coaches. And they can argue that all they want but Gus & staff did unequivocally help develop Cam the 1 year he was here.

Anyway the bolded part is not true. Peyton Barber had a strong finish to his Tampa Bay season & took over the RB1 spot there. And I don't know how well they are doing but there are a number of AU players on O in the NFL, skill positions & OLs.

I pay little attention to the NFL. So, tell me the bamr offensive player, outside of Julio Jones,  who has  had a successful professional career. There is Ingram with the Saints but no other name jumps out at me.

5 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I pay little attention to the NFL. So, tell me the bamr offensive player, outside of Julio Jones,  who has  had a successful professional career. There is Ingram with the Saints but no other name jumps out at me.

Their immediate counter there would be Saban isn't an offensive coach like Gus. He's a defensive guy.

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's not a college coaches responsibility for pro succes although it's nice. That's on the player & his pro coaches. And they can argue that all they want but Gus & staff did unequivocally help develop Cam the 1 year he was here.

Anyway the bolded part is not true. Peyton Barber had a strong finish to his Tampa Bay season & took over the RB1 spot there. And I don't know how well they are doing but there are a number of AU players on O in the NFL, skill positions & OLs.

Just telling you what is happening.  Argue all you want, it really doesn't matter.  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

No doubt about that. 

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Just telling you what is happening.  Argue all you want, it really doesn't matter.  

I'm not arguing with you at all. I'm just providing Factual counter points to Nick McShorty's & Bowl Cut's stupid crap.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Yeah but whether it's working remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Can't help it if some kids are stupid.....does not mean the argument is legit.   Should not be a difficult argument to deflect by our recruiters.  

Kirby has not recruited more than a couple players who are even seeing much playing time....winning with Richt's guys thus far .....and going to lose nearly 30 players this year and again next year.....so then we will see what he can do.   

JMO but Kirby's major argument is that with so many guys leaving there will be lots of opportunities to start right away for his recruits. 

11 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Don't shoot the messenger

You aren't being shot at in any way. The replies aren't about you nor directed at you at all. We are shooting the recruiting pitches Nick & Kirby are giving.

4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Well, it’s not working except maybe on the OL.  We keep getting talented QBs, RBs, and WRs.

Archived