Recruiting against Bama, UGA, & the Vols

shabby

1 minute ago, Southwest said:

Same O as Clemson? Are you sure? 

It used to be very close but I don’t know about now. When Chad Morris was there, they were similar anyway. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Greg isn’t a lesser talent. He had a better 40 than some QBs at the combine and people used to marvel about him doing flips and dunking and crap. 

I don’t know what you’re talking about. 

Gus took a guy that has no business being in the NFL (obviously) and put him in a system that propped him up and made him into a top draft pick.  How many millions did he make thanks to Gus?

The point is to get you to the NFL...what you do after that your college coach cannot control.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Gus took a guy that has no business being in the NFL (obviously) and put him in a system that propped him up and made him into a top draft pick.

So putting busts in the league is an achievement? ‘Grats

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

The point is to get you to the NFL...what you do after that your college coach cannot control.

Well when his former players say they didn’t feel ready for the NFL, it doesnt reflect well on our coaches to recruits with NFL aspirations. That’s the main thing. Getting to the NFL is one thing, being successful is another. 

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It used to be very close but I don’t know about now. When Chad Morris was there, they were similar anyway. 

Only ask because noone fears our passing game nearly as much as Clemson. Plus they have become WRU. I can safely say Au will never hold that title. Guess you change or adapt to different personal though. 

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Gus took a guy that has no business being in the NFL (obviously) and put him in a system that propped him up and made him into a top draft pick.  How many millions did he make thanks to Gus?

Your premise is flawed. You're assuming that because GRob didn't succeed in the NFL, he wouldn't have succeeded in a different college offense. You're also saying that every single player who was ever drafted highly but failed to produce in the NFL was a product of their college coach/system, and that they could not have been better prepared for NFL success in a different college system. Which is all obviously untrue.

Sure would like it if our reputation problems were for running up the score and too many kids leave early for the NFL.

I think the biggest thing we need is 2-3 yrs of consistency from the OC position.  Second thing would be some evidence Gus used some of the existing software that outlines a teams tendencies.

2 hours ago, psyfro said:

Clemson runs the same offense as we do and they are putting players in the league and recruiting 5* offensive players all over the place. Dabo wasn't a world beater until he hired Morris for offense and Venerables on defense. Once they started winning, the recruits followed and so did the NFL

An that offense looked so dominant against Alabama, while our offense put 26 on them and put over 400 yds on them. 

but Dabo is an energetic coach and a lot of players love that. He also recruits FL well. And he really has no competition except Jimbo and now that's no longer there...

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

An that offense looked so dominant against Alabama, while our offense put 26 on them and put over 400 yds on them. 

but Dabo is an energetic coach and a lot of players love that. He also recruits FL well. And he really has no competition except Jimbo and now that's no longer there...

What did our O put up on Clemson?? 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Your premise is flawed. You're assuming that because GRob didn't succeed in the NFL, he wouldn't have succeeded in a different college offense. You're also saying that every single player who was ever drafted highly but failed to produce in the NFL was a product of their college coach/system, and that they could not have been better prepared for NFL success in a different college system. Which is all obviously untrue.

Exactly. He wasn’t wrong though when he implied Gus tricked the NFL into believing G-Rob was a top two pick. G Rob had rare athletic ability for someone his size,  so the potential and the ability weren’t the issue.

G Rob’s development wasn’t there though and people were fooled. It’s bizaare that G Rob’s calling card in college was run blocking but yet he was rated next to last in run blocking among all eligible OT’s in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

chad has always thrown the ball a lot more than gus. Hence them being WR U recently. He is also a lot better at throwing the ball than gus and knows how to run a sophisticated intermediate passing route to go with the deep shots.

3 hours ago, Southwest said:

Only ask because noone fears our passing game nearly as much as Clemson. Plus they have become WRU. I can safely say Au will never hold that title. Guess you change or adapt to different personal though. 

this may be crazy o who am I kidding?! It is coming from me of course it is! but I think a lot of it is because of the fans. No matter who the coach is they want to be RB U blah blah blah and all of that and run the ground and pound. I just am waiting for the coach who comes here and opens it up. I have been starved for it my whole life! our passing and receiving stats all time are pathetic and it hurts me something fierce! lol.

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

chad has always thrown the ball a lot more than gus. Hence them being WR U recently. He is also a lot better at throwing the ball than gus and knows how to run a sophisticated intermediate passing route to go with the deep shots.

Yes, I know this.

Chad’s playbook is simplistic  for no huddle purposes and uses no huddle terminology similar to what Gus uses.

“The first things that should jump out to you about this playbook are:

1. -All of the terminology is built around being run from the no-huddle, so playcalls are limited and primarily use word concepts for play names, as Clemson will often use related words such as NFL team names, cities and mascots to all refer to the same concept;
  2. If you are familiar with Gus Malzahn’s offense it’s exceptionally similar to what Gus Malzahn has run — and not just the play concepts, but in how the offense itself is constructed, called and designed, right down to referring to receivers as numbers (“2”, “5” and “9” being the names for receivers, rather than X, Y and Z) — which should be no surprise given the long history between Morris and Malzahn; and
  3. -It’s extremely simple to the point where there’s really just not that much there, as the whole philosophy is to keep it simple so it can all be run extremely fast.

I will admit to my biases in that, while I am always a proponent of simplicity, the sophistication of the passing game in this playbook — or, frankly, from much of Clemson’s film — leaves me a bit cold. Now, as I mentioned, Clemson’s staff has done a nice job adding more to the passing game to better feature Deshaun Watson’s skills, and there’s no reason for Clemson to drop in 500 of Bill Walsh’s favorite pass plays into the middle of a very streamlined, tightly organized offense, but it’s clear that the goal of Clemson’s offense is to make you defend Clemson’s tempo, formations, runs, “shot play” play-action passes behind your secondary and individual one-on-one matchups in the passing game, and only then do you worry about specific”

http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/smart-notes-clemsons-offensive-playbook-lamar-jacksons-passing-belichick-match-quarters#sthash.rIPHUOpR.FO8JiX2r.dpbs

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

And they use more true spread elements than we do. Honestly the only real comparison is the desire for pace.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And they use more true spread elements than we do. Honestly the only real comparison is the desire for pace.

Apparently you cannot read.

Another informative link for those that can read:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/10/5782566/clemson-offense-chad-morris

Archived