Women vs. Texas A&M

WarTiger

McKay fouled and will shoot 2.   1st good.  2nd good.   60-55 Auburn trailing.  Full court pressure by the Auburn defense.   Push off by A&M and its Auburn ball.

4:30 to play and Auburn is down 69-55 - Mckay to the basket and she scores and is fouled.  FT good.  68-58

Auburn held with them for 3 quarters but too many turnovers and not enough scoring when we had opportunities.  Auburn trailing 82-68 with 48 seconds to play

Meanwhile, another loss at home today against Arkansas. If I am not mistaken, Flo has only one season, while at AU that she has produced a winning SEC record.

With the utmost respect, if AU was committed to winning in women's basketball, we would've moved on from Flo a while back. Women's hoops is a tip of the cap to the feds and Title IX.

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

With the utmost respect, if AU was committed to winning in women's basketball, we would've moved on from Flo a while back. Women's hoops is a tip of the cap to the feds and Title IX.

It may be that way now but back in the 80's we put winning teams on the floor.  Today's team didn't look good.  We are paying her too much just to put a team on the floor.  I am sure we could find a coach that could put a winning team on the floor that could at least shoot the ball and run plays.

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

Under Joe Champi, Auburn played in three straight final TWOS. That's right, three straight national championship games. (Shame we didn't win one of them) Anyway, it's possible to succeed here but I don't think we have the right coach. She simply doesn't recruit well enough to win the big games. Defense can only take you so far, then eventually your players have to put the ball through the basket. Coach Flo doesn't get us enough scorers.

Her offensive philosophy seems to be based totally on defensive pressure, turnovers and scoring off of those. 

Her teams struggle when they have to run half court offenses. Her teams have a tendency to have scoring droughts, which limit her teams.

And as others have said, she can recruit 1 really good player, but struggles to bring in top 10 classes. Anyone know how her recruiting rankings have gone during her time here?

As long as we keep doing the same thing we will get the same results.  We can't defend the 3 - change the defense to a different zone or play "man".  We don't score well  - I see few picks, hi-lo, very few screens, pass in and back out - not sure we have any offensive plays other than dribble around for 28 seconds and then hope Janiah can score.  Mikey is right - we don't have enough scorers.  Unique will be good if they don't coach it out of her.  It's hard to watch.  For the first time since I started going to games I left at the end of the 3rd quarter.  Our team plays hard but most SEC teams can break the press.  "If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got!"

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Under Joe Champi, Auburn played in three straight final TWOS. That's right, three straight national championship games. (Shame we didn't win one of them) Anyway, it's possible to succeed here but I don't think we have the right coach. She simply doesn't recruit well enough to win the big games. Defense can only take you so far, then eventually your players have to put the ball through the basket. Coach Flo doesn't get us enough scorers.

And of all teams to break our hearts...the Lady Techsters!?

14 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

And of all teams to break our hearts...the Lady Techsters!?

And Tennessee, who we had already beaten three times that season, and freakin' STANFORD! I've hated Stanford since the 1967 CWS baseball tournament. In those days, they played by major league rules and if a game had completed 5 innings when it started raining, the game was called official at that point. We were behind Stanford by one run, had two runners on base, no outs, the top of the order coming up and they gave the game to Stanford because of rain. Hate 'em to this day!

Archived