We’re ranked

weathergeakal

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

They find it hard to comprehend Auburn's success.....

I have to say, I'm kind of squeamish about believing myself.  Gotten my hopes up too many times the last 20 years and now have this, waiting for the shoe to drop feeling.

Ready to lose that feeling this year and Make AU Great Again!

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I have to say, I'm kind of squeamish about believing myself.  Gotten my hopes up too many times the last 20 years and now have this, waiting for the shoe to drop feeling.

I've decided this feeling is all part of being an Auburn Fan.   I was watching the Auburn/Alabama game in the arena this year and refused to get totally excited until the clock was at 00, which was pretty ridiculous considering we were up two scores!!  

17 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Don't worry, it's looking like Bruce is going to have us as a perennial top 20 team sooner rather than later!

It's weird to say considering the 98-99 team went 29-4, but this may be the most talented AU team I've ever seen.  That 98-99 team was great and knew how to play, but they were also older.  This team is still young and has 2-3 guys with next level talent (and another two that can't play thanks to NCAA).  It's really, really fun to watch right now.

Pearl said recently we would lose some games. Just the type of game basketball is (cold shooting on a given night etc).what I really really hope does not happen, relative to his point, is our first SEC loss being at the hands of the evil ones.    Would love to know how those of you with basketball knowledge, think we match up against Bama.

20 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Pearl said recently we would lose some games. Just the type of game basketball is (cold shooting on a given night etc).what I really really hope does not happen, relative to his point, is our first SEC loss being at the hands of the evil ones.    Would love to know how those of you with basketball knowledge, think we match up against Bama.

Yes, I know we are going to drop some games but I REALLY, REALLY want us to go 2-0 this week.

In particular tomorrow night. I don't like how Avery has been able to pull top recruits and I want the entire conference, recruiting base, and world to know Bruce Pearl is the King of the state

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

We're going to handily defeat them. They're main big Donta Hall is out. The only quality thing about Bama is Sexton, and I don't believe he particularly cares about the university or the toothless fans or the Chimes or his teammates; he just wants to do what he does to cement his draft status. I don't think AJ is a particularly good coach (but seems to be a super guy), and his team doesn't have much chemistry. Bama has had a see-saw year with a "win one lose one" tendency. This past week they beat an ugly South Carolina team at home and an LSU team that was scheduled for a reality check. I think we win this one by 15-25 points, even with Sexton potentially going off for 30+ points. I know we are the better team, so if we can win at Knoxville and Starkville, we should win this one. I could be wrong, but I don't think I will be.

54 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

We're going to handily defeat them. They're main big Donta Hall is out. The only quality thing about Bama is Sexton, and I don't believe he particularly cares about the university or the toothless fans or the Chimes or his teammates; he just wants to do what he does to cement his draft status. I don't think AJ is a particularly good coach (but seems to be a super guy), and his team doesn't have much chemistry. Bama has had a see-saw year with a "win one lose one" tendency. This past week they beat an ugly South Carolina team at home and an LSU team that was scheduled for a reality check. I think we win this one by 15-25 points, even with Sexton potentially going off for 30+ points. I know we are the better team, so if we can win at Knoxville and Starkville, we should win this one. I could be wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Dont sleep on them. I know they haven’t looked particularly impressive all year, but they have some good players besides Sexton. Key, Ingram, Petty can all make plays, and Avery Jr. seems to always hit a big shot or two. Plus, put them in their arena where they could get hot shooting and let us have an off night, and that’s a recipe for an easy home victory for them. 

We have to rebound well (They outrebounded LSU 40-24 last game), and we have to defend well as a team. Sexton presents a lot of problems because he’s difficult to keep out of the paint. He loves to get downhill, and that allows him to create for himself and for others or get himself to the FT line where he’s really good. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Dont sleep on them. I know they haven’t looked particularly impressive all year, but they have some good players besides Sexton. Key, Ingram, Petty can all make plays, and Avery Jr. seems to always hit a big shot or two. Plus, put them in their arena where they could get hot shooting and let us have an off night, and that’s a recipe for an easy home victory for them. 

We have to rebound well (They outrebounded LSU 40-24 last game), and we have to defend well as a team. Sexton presents a lot of problems because he’s difficult to keep out of the paint. He loves to get downhill, and that allows him to create for himself and for others or get himself to the FT line where he’s really good. 

Not sleeping on anyone. Their team hasn't consistently performed up to their level of individual skill sets and Auburn has. Im not saying Bama can't win; I'm saying they won't win. I like the Tigers in this one.

The 15-20 range seems about right for this team right now. How we close out this week will tell us a lot. This stretch of Bama-UGA-Mizzou-LSU is kind of a run of bad matchups for us if we can go 3-1 (with the loss being an uncharacteristically bad game for several of our key players) I will feel pretty good.

We need to keep getting better and start peaking about a month from now. I think we can still do that if we stay healthy. 

14 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Fell to #19 in the AP today.

Fair marginal drop. Still ranked highest in the SEC. How about UK falling out? 

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

Fair marginal drop. Still ranked highest in the SEC. How about UK falling out? 

Pretty strange not seeing Kentucky ranked. It’s been about 4 years I think since that last happened. 

Not unhappy with the ranking. Surprised to see us stay behind some teams who lost twice last week like Wichita St and Texas Tech and to see St Mary’s jump as high as they did after one win against Gonzaga. But oh well. We’re still top 20 in the poll with a top 10 RPI. I’ll take that, given the past two decades of Auburn basketball. 

I'm fine with where we are ranked. We have gotten some respect and have been noticed. That's ok by me. That's really the only purpose these basketball rankings serve. There is still such a long way to go with many games to play. I am optimistic but not overly so. I like our chances but I probably wont relax until we get to double digit conference wins.

we are ranked about right, i guess. If we have snuffed bammer we would probably be top 10. I have said all along we won't win them all. We are winning more than we lose though.(from here on)

SEC not getting much respect in general...and we look as good as any of the teams but with the balance I suspect nobody in the conference will get much higher than 14 or 15 unless someone runs off a big winning streak.   Gonna have to prove we belong when tournament time comes I think.

58 minutes ago, AU64 said:

SEC not getting much respect in general...and we look as good as any of the teams but with the balance I suspect nobody in the conference will get much higher than 14 or 15 unless someone runs off a big winning streak.   Gonna have to prove we belong when tournament time comes I think.

Yeah I think we’re gonna struggle to get any more respect as a conference because there aren’t any clear cut great teams in the SEC. There will probably be questions with the voters as to how good the conference actually is because the perception is there isn’t that great team or two. 

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Remember the rankings are just for show. If the season ended right now, 8 SEC teams are likely in the field, even though only three of us are ranked. It’s a balanced league that will cannibalize each other and the guys that do these projections know that. As long as the bottom tier of the league (Ole Miss, State, Vandy) stays were it is now, we’re getting 6+ in. 

2 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Yeah I think we’re gonna struggle to get any more respect as a conference because there aren’t any clear cut great teams in the SEC. There will probably be questions with the voters as to how good the conference actually is because the perception is there isn’t that great team or two. 

The SEC has a few good OOC wins here and there but not enough to push the league reputation up more than as a league of second 10 teams.;  U K usually establishes the standard for the conference and they are not making any statements this year.

23 hours ago, AU64 said:

The SEC has a few good OOC wins here and there but not enough to push the league reputation up more than as a league of second 10 teams.;  U K usually establishes the standard for the conference and they are not making any statements this year.

Probably will be worse after this SEC/BIG12 Challenge.

14 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Probably will be worse after this SEC/BIG12 Challenge.

That series should tell us a lot about the strength of both conferences...some real gunners in the Big 12.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That series should tell us a lot about the strength of both conferences...some real gunners in the Big 12.

Big 12 is a rough league top to bottom. 

In the Big12 SEC match up who do you pick:

Baylor at Florida -  Tossup leaning Florida

Texas Tech at South Carolina - Texas Tech

Ole Miss at Texas - Texas

Georgia at Kansas State - Tossup leaning Kansas State

Oklahoma at Alabama - Oklahoma

TCU at Vanderbilt - TCU

Tennessee at Iowa State - Tennessee

Texas A&M at Kansas- Kansas

Oklahoma State at Arkansas - Arkansas

Kentucky at West Virginia - West Virginia

I think the SEC is greatly improved we are more balanced then ever before but at this time we don't have any elite teams.  A&M looked like they could be elite before injuries the injured players have come back but they have not gelled they need a PG. Kentucky is not playing as a team and the super Freshman are very good but most are not one and done. They may leave after one year but it will be a mistake.  Tennessee and Auburn are playing the best right now but Auburn is not in the match up. Florida is a tossup because Baylor is pretty good. Arkansas is Arkansas can beat you one night and lose next but is tough at home. bama is actually a pretty good team but Oklahoma is a great team. West Virginia has very good talent and plays like a team. Vanderbilt is just not that good. Georgia has a very solid 6-7 man team but not enough depth and they wear out as game goes on. Maten always gives them a chance to win. South Carolina is getting better but not in time.

Archived