Jan. 12-14 Visitors thread

ellitor

Are we in danger of losing any of our commits? I hope we hold onto every last one of them. I am a worry wart or wort!  When a defensive coachins position opens, we need to make room for Dell McGee. I hate seeing him at UGA. What would be our chances of down the road getting him to come home?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, corchjay said:

Cam Taylor, anyone?  Severely underrated and will be a take unless we hit on several of the much higher rated guys. 

If some of the top targets don't go our way, I'd like to see Taylor be the next man up. Certainly take him ahead of the RB's that are currently being mentioned. Do you think Taylor can play CB or would he be best suited to safety?

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If some of the top targets don't go our way, I'd like to see Taylor be the next man up. Certainly take him ahead of the RB's that are currently being mentioned. Do you think Taylor can play CB or would he be best suited to safety?

I'd say safety but depends on how he develops.  Good replacement for Fuqua.

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

will be a take unless we hit on several of the much higher rated guys. 

Not necessarily. The staff could decide to take Roger McCready, CD Daniels, or bring in a Grad Transfer.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

No necessarily. The staff could decide to take Roger McCready, CD Daniels, or bring in a Grad Transfer.

you're not hearing the same things I'm hearing.  If you see Cam commit somewhere else that tells you that he's been notified to look else where.  Now it's if we have room he's the man.  

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

re we in danger of losing any of our commits?

Matthew Hill

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

When a defensive coachins position opens, we need to make room for Dell McGee. I hate seeing him at UGA. What would be our chances of down the road getting him to come home?

May need to be offensive since he coaches RBs & I don't see our D coaches anywhere. Someone like Horton would have to take a job somewhere else to make room. Odds seem long now to add Dell.

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

you're not hearing the same things I'm hearing.  If you see Cam commit somewhere else that tells you that he's been notified to look else where.  Now it's if we have room he's the man.  

I'm just relaying what Keith is reporting. Cam may be 1st up on the board for lower rated Corners but there is no info out there supporting that.Also a number of in state high school coaches on the Bunker really like McCready a lot. With the staff having CB a higher priority than Safety right now McCready may be higher on the board. Time will tell. I'd rather a Grad Transfer than any of the lower rated Corners to be honest anyway.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I'm just relaying what Keith is reporting. Cam may be 1st up on the board for lower rated Corners but there is no info out there supporting that.Also a number of in state high school coaches on the Bunker really like McCready a lot. With the staff having CB a higher priority than Safety right now McCready may be higher on the board. Time will tell. I'd rather a Grad Transfer than any of the lower rated Corners to be honest anyway.

I would take a transfer if that transfer is close to Countess ability.   If we go pure Corner yes McCready is probably a better player then Taylor.  More talented overall is Taylor.  

The staff must have an idea of either a transfer, a position change, or something to address the safety position. Right now, with Fuqua in limbo, it is desperately being under recruited for our needs now and in the future.

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The staff must have an idea of either a transfer, a position change, or something to address the safety position. Right now, with Fuqua in limbo, it is desperately being under recruited for our needs now and in the future.

As good as this class is overall, I think we're still in need of some quality numbers in the defensive backfield and the O-line. Two each would be nice. Popular opinion to the contrary I'm not enthused with the idea of signing a TE just to have one because we score plenty of points, TE or not and we had a good prospect redshirted this year.

PS: signing a third RB when we already have two 4* RB's signed doesn't seem right either.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

As good as this class is overall, I think we're still in need of some quality numbers in the defensive backfield and the O-line. Two each would be nice. Popular opinion to the contrary I'm not enthused with the idea of signing a TE just to have one because we score plenty of points, TE or not and we had a good prospect redshirted this year.

Remember though Chip wants his TEs to serve dual roles. To do traditional TE things and serve as the blocking back a la Cox who will be gone after next season. Need more than 1 on scholly for a position that will have 2 guys on the field at the same time a good bit.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Remember though Chip wants his TEs to serve dual roles. To do traditional TE things and serve as the blocking back a la Cox who will be gone after next season. Need more than 1 on scholly for a position that will have 2 guys on the field at the same time a good bit.

Do you know why Shekner (not sure about name) was redshirted? Was he not ready or did the coaches think Sal would be better than he was?

17 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Do you know why Shekner (not sure about name) was redshirted? Was he not ready or did the coaches think Sal would be better than he was?

Sal ended up being a WR for us not TE. On JSS's RS my guess is the staff may have felt he needed to get bigger.

It’s that time of year where I wish a mod could pin a signing day thread, post the relevant recruiting news of the day, week, whatever, and then lock it for those wanting a one stop shop.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s that time of year where I wish a mod could pin a signing day thread, post the relevant recruiting news of the day, week, whatever, and then lock it for those wanting a one stop shop.

I don't see the point in another NSD thread. Not many people post in the pinned 2018 recruiting thread. Stuff could be put there as well as whatever prospect's thread the info is about.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

This sounds like a job for.....Marquis McClain, 6' 2" 226 pound rising sophomore! :)

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

This sounds like a job for.....Marquis McClain, 6' 2" 226 pound rising sophomore! :)

You would need to point him out to Gus first.  His response would be Marquis who?  Did he sign with us?  

When will we know who the cb who is visiting is! That info is behind paywalls right now.

10 minutes ago, toddc said:

When will we know who the cb who is visiting is! That info is behind paywalls right now.

It's not this weekend but it's Olaijah Griffin. He's tagged in the article on his 247 profile page. He's also listed here for a February 2nd OV...https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Visits

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's not this weekend but it's Olaijah Griffin. He's tagged in the article on his 247 profile page. He's also listed here for a February 2nd OV...https://auburn.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Visits

Thanks brother!

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

OP updated

Matthew Hill added to the visitor list. AU will try to lock him down this weekend.

Let's hope to hell so. His recruitment has left many of us puzzled. I understand the coaches are used to this, but I'd want to know whether to count on Hill or offer his spot to someone else.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Let's hope to hell so. His recruitment has left many of us puzzled. I understand the coaches are used to this, but I'd want to know whether to count on Hill or offer his spot to someone else.

I've been hearing rumors about him playing WR or safety. Any info on which side of the ball he prefers?

58 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I've been hearing rumors about him playing WR or safety. Any info on which side of the ball he prefers?

We have offered him as a WR, Clemson as a safety. Of course, "offered as"  and "ends up there" are two entirely different things. No idea which prefers, but it seems from his interest in both schools that it may not matter much to him.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We have offered him as a WR, Clemson as a safety. Of course, "offered as"  and "ends up there" are two entirely different things. No idea which prefers, but it seems from his interest in both schools that it may not matter much to him.

He def prefers WR. Only reason he is still committed to us imo. He would jump at the first chance to be a WR at clemson if they go down that path.

Archived