Saban or Bear

Johndunc

What's going to happen when the "younger" Alabama fans start worshiping God Saban and the "older" fans continue to worship God Bear?  It won't be long before they will look like a bunch of clowns dressed in houndstooth and straw hats. 

3 minutes ago, Johndunc said:

What's going to happen when the "younger" Alabama fans start worshiping God Saban and the "older" fans continue to worship God Bear?  It won't be long before they will look like a bunch of clowns dressed in houndstooth and straw hats. 

They have always looked like clowns.  The real question is how many will chop off their legs at the knees and perfect the comb-over to look more Saban-like.

Another thought, what about all those "BEAR BRYANT" tattoos. Hear it now " granddaddy why do you have a man's pictures on your back!!!

5 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

No contest, it's Saban.

This.  He's amassed 6 titles in 14 years compared to 6 titles in 25 for Bryant.  And he's done it in an era of 85 scholarship limits which Bear never had to contend with.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

This.  He's amassed 6 titles in 14 years compared to 6 titles in 25 for Bryant.  And he's done it in an era of 85 scholarship limits which Bear never had to contend with.

Bear didn't have the well developed REC machine that nickster has because it was in it's infancy back then. Nor did he have the way paved for him with the media. In his day Penn State and Notre Dame were the media darlings of that era. He had to do a little more to earn it and he may have had a harder schedule. There is not a coach anywhere who has an easier road  than nickatator.

6 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Bear didn't have the well developed REC machine that nickster has because it was in it's infancy back then. Nor did he have the way paved for him with the media. In his day Penn State and Notre Dame were the media darlings of that era. He had to do a little more to earn it and he may have had a harder schedule. There is not a coach anywhere who has an easier road  than nickatator.

Bear was the ruler of college football.   No one questioned him.   The man made his own schedule with sec.   when the rest played six games, he played seven.     The bear , ole miss, ga and Tennessee decided who they would play on a consistent basis and adjusted their schedules accordingly.  

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Bear was the ruler of college football.   No one questioned him.   The man made his own schedule with sec.   when the rest played six games, he played seven.     The bear , ole miss, ga and Tennessee decided who they would play on a consistent basis and adjusted their schedules accordingly.  

He wasn't the only one. JoePa had just as much power in his neck of the woods. Bear was not elevated to the level that nickster is because there was no espn making gods out of football coaches. It is a completely different atmosphere now in college football.

A different time, a different era of college football,  I'm too young to remember the Bryant days.  I enjoy watching top shelf football (I don't care who the teams are) and I know what I've been watching the last decade,  I've never seen anything like this.

13 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

He wasn't the only one. JoePa had just as much power in his neck of the woods. Bear was not elevated to the level that nickster is because there was no espn making gods out of football coaches. It is a completely different atmosphere now in college football.

Something tells me you really aren't old enough to remember the Bear era.

I would have to think that back in the Bryant days (I'm too young to know for certain) the ability to raise a coach to a super elevated level would have been easier since there were fewer avenues for public debate and criticism.  All folks knew back then was what they read in the newspapers and the very few interviews and discussions they heard on the radio. 

There was no such thing as open debate about the strengths and weaknesses of a particular coach, or his style.  No one knew a damn thing about recruiting or had even heard a players name until at least his sophomore year because they didn't play freshmen back then.  There were no message boards where random people could anonymously throw random unproven accusations or accolades out about a coach, his staff or his program in general.   They operated with very few checks/balances and limitations like coaches face today.

I just think in today's world people are more informed and have a freedom to publicly express their opinions which leads to less God like worship than was allowed to take place 50 yrs ago.  For every journalist/analyst/reporter/radio talking head that pushes Nick Saban to an elite level, there will be someone to publicly counter that claim.  Whether it's Danny Canell, Colin Cowherd, Clay Travis, or any multitude of others.

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

^^This^^

biggest thing bear had was he could get away with murder/recruiting/cheating like no one else. Shug couldn't stand the drunken SOB total prick

On 1/9/2018 at 5:17 PM, augolf1716 said:

^^This^^

biggest thing bear had was he could get away with murder/recruiting/cheating like no one else. Shug couldn't stand the drunken SOB total prick

Shug wasn't the only one.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:30 AM, TitanTiger said:

At least Bear did win the SEC every year he won the NC......... Two of Saban's NC's were won without having to win the SEC.

Bear coached against other legends in the SEC: Shug Jordan, Vince Dooley, Johnny Vaught, Charlie McLendon, Johnny Majors, Pat Dye........

Bear also coached against legends in bowl games: Darrell Royal, Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, Ara Parseghian, Bob Devaney, etc....

Who has Saban coached against?

In the SEC: Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, Gene Chizik, Bret Bielema, Kevin Sumlin, Houston Nutt, Ed Orgeron, Joker Phillips, Derek Mason, Mark Richt, Les Miles, Steve Spurrier, Tommy Tuberville, Phillip Fulmer, Urban Meyer, Will Muschamp, Jim McElwain, Dan Mullen, Sylvester Croom, Bobby Petrino, Hugh Freeze...................

In bowl games: Mark Dantonio, Dan Hawkins, Kyle Whttingham, Chris Petersen, Bob Stoops, Brian Kelly, Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart........

7 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

At least Bear did win the SEC every year he won the NC......... Two of Saban's NC's were won without having to win the SEC.

Bear coached against other legends in the SEC: Shug Jordan, Vince Dooley, Johnny Vaught, Charlie McLendon, Johnny Majors, Pat Dye........

Bear also coached against legends in bowl games: Darrell Royal, Frank Broyles, Lou Holtz, Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, Ara Parseghian, Bob Devaney, etc....

Who has Saban coached against?

In the SEC: Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, Gene Chizik, Bret Bielema, Kevin Sumlin, Houston Nutt, Ed Orgeron, Joker Phillips, Derek Mason, Mark Richt, Les Miles, Steve Spurrier, Tommy Tuberville, Phillip Fulmer, Urban Meyer, Will Muschamp, Jim McElwain, Dan Mullen, Sylvester Croom, Bobby Petrino, Hugh Freeze...................

In bowl games: Mark Dantonio, Dan Hawkins, Kyle Whttingham, Chris Petersen, Bob Stoops, Brian Kelly, Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart........

I'll concede that point.  But I think the other ones I mentioned more than counterbalance it.

Bear coached in a different era and would not survive today.  Heck, there was a time in the late sixties when he was almost fired after a couple of 6-5 seasons.  That was when he converted to the wishbone and dominated in the 70's.  Very few of his NC's were concensus.  Back in those days the UPI poll (Coaches poll) was voted before the bowl games.  Bear won a couple of NC's and then lost in the bowl game.  After Bammer lost to ND in the 74 Sugar Bowl, UPI changed to take the final vote after the bowl games.  The only time he won a NC playing 1 against 2 was in the 79 Sugar Bowl against Penn State.  Bammer won several SEC championships because Bear would schedule 1 more SEC game than everyone else, so even if he lost a game and the other contender lost a game, he won on percentage.  Of course that extra game was against a weak SEC team.  He was a master at manipulating the bowl match ups and controlling who played who.  The Big 10 would only allow its champion to go to a bowl and of course, it was the Rose Bowl.  The other good teams in the Big 10 stayed home.  ND didn't start bowling until the early 70's.  I always made a special effort to watch the Bear Bryant Show on Sunday afternoons after Bammer lost.  Even as a kid I could tell he was drunk.  I always heard he never met a bottle of Black Jack he didn't like.  It was also pre-Watergate and the media covered up a lot of stuff that would have gotten him fired today.   It's a different era now.   Everything is controlled by the SEC and TV.  The media not only doesn't cover up bad stuff, it sometimes makes it up.  Saban's 6 NC's were decided on the field.  Either BCS or CFP.  He also has probably 10 times the staff Bear had and his power outside of Tusclooser is limited, but there's no comparison who has accomplished more and especially in less time.  One thing is for certain.  I don't like either of them, because their mantra is "Just win, baby".  

It really is a shame that the media(ESPN in this case) can control the minds of high school players and their parents. I bet if ESPN or the SEC channel started a campaign promoting Kentucky as the greatest and best Football power in the SEC they would start getting 5* players like never before. The SEC and REC make sure that is what happens at Bama.

1 hour ago, Johndunc said:

It really is a shame that the media(ESPN in this case) can control the minds of high school players and their parents. I bet if ESPN or the SEC channel started a campaign promoting Kentucky as the greatest and best Football power in the SEC they would start getting 5* players like never before. The SEC and REC make sure that is what happens at Bama.

I don't understand your assertion.

One team can back up their claims as the best football power in the SEC, the other has never won anything worth a s#!t in football in their entire existence.

4 hours ago, Johndunc said:

As much power as sports media has to influence things like who gets into championship games when it's a close call, even they can't sell a total fabrication. As for the REC, they are far more focused on using the media to undercut rivals than boosting up bama.

What Kentucky needs is the NCAA to look the other way at recruiting transgressions, the refs to make some well timed, questionable calls, and, let's face it, their fans to care even half as much about football as they do basketball, and then sustain that for about 3 years... then they can start competing with bama.

On 1/9/2018 at 12:56 PM, TitanTiger said:

Something tells me you really aren't old enough to remember the Bear era.

I lived it. I met that old drunk a time or two. It's true that I was really young but I knew what he was all about because of my family.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:02 PM, lionheartkc said:

As much power as sports media has to influence things like who gets into championship games when it's a close call, even they can't sell a total fabrication. As for the REC, they are far more focused on using the media to undercut rivals than boosting up bama.

What Kentucky needs is the NCAA to look the other way at recruiting transgressions, the refs to make some well timed, questionable calls, and, let's face it, their fans to care even half as much about football as they do basketball, and then sustain that for about 3 years... then they can start competing with bama.

That's just one tool they have. They have many others that they use frequently. And it's not true that it's their only focus. Not even close. 

7 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's just one tool they have. They have many others that they use frequently. And it's not true that it's their only focus. Not even close. 

Never said it was their only focus, just that they use the media to tear down rivals more than to prop up bama, who honestly doesn't need any help in that area on their current run.

Archived