Saban or Bear

Johndunc

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Never said it was their only focus, just that they use the media to tear down rivals more than to prop up bama, who honestly doesn't need any help in that area on their current run.

OK.....since you insist.....using the media is only part of the equation, and it is absolutely selling the fabrication that bammer is the best of the best on a level playing field. That's a complete load of crap. But maintaining that image and feeding the saban as the football king image is far more important than tearing down a rival.

The only rival I know of who has been the recipient of a media tear down was Auburn and Cam Newton. Even Hugh Freeze hasn't suffered the kind of character assassination that Cam had to deal with. So just who are you talking about? What other rivals are they far more focused on tearing down in the media? 

Too many posters on here just don't get how the bammer machine works.......how deeply entrenched it is in the world of college athletics and in the government of Alabama at all levels. Things have become much more sinister in the last 15 years and there's much darker stuff than in the old days of trying to hide their coach's alcoholism.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:29 PM, keesler said:

I would have to think that back in the Bryant days (I'm too young to know for certain) the ability to raise a coach to a super elevated level would have been easier since there were fewer avenues for public debate and criticism.  All folks knew back then was what they read in the newspapers and the very few interviews and discussions they heard on the radio. 

There was no such thing as open debate about the strengths and weaknesses of a particular coach, or his style.  No one knew a damn thing about recruiting or had even heard a players name until at least his sophomore year because they didn't play freshmen back then.  There were no message boards where random people could anonymously throw random unproven accusations or accolades out about a coach, his staff or his program in general.   They operated with very few checks/balances and limitations like coaches face today.

I just think in today's world people are more informed and have a freedom to publicly express their opinions which leads to less God like worship than was allowed to take place 50 yrs ago.  For every journalist/analyst/reporter/radio talking head that pushes Nick Saban to an elite level, there will be someone to publicly counter that claim.  Whether it's Danny Canell, Colin Cowherd, Clay Travis, or any multitude of others.

It is much worse now. And if you think people on the internet in general are well informed you are sadly mistaken. What checks and balances does the nickster have? He has none he can't work around because after the Logan Young fiasco bammer put their people in places of influence throughout college athletics. They will never be taken down like that again. They don't even hide stuff anymore like they did during Bear's tenure. 

There was plenty of debate in the past but since there was no internet and it was not splashed on espn  24/7  you just don't know about it. There is plenty of God-like worship for nickster and I am amazed that you don't get that. I know of a group of fans who have a weekly prayer meeting for nickster and they actually ask God to guide him in his game-day coaching decisions. They believe he is an instrument that God is using directly for his glory. That's almost a direct quote. 

19 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

So just who are you talking about?

I'm talking about the fact that every time they face an opponent that may be better than them, something comes out in the media about that team, a player on the team, etc to both serve as a distraction and potentially remove a player/players from the game. Unfortunately, with bama winning the majority of the national championships over the past 10 years, they don't have to do anything to boost up bama or Saban, though I do agree that they bury anything that comes out that hints at any of their improprieties.

If you care to look back at my history, you'll see that I am well aware of the bama/REC machine and how far it reaches. I don't have the first hand experiences that you do, but I definitely get it.

Is Saban laying the groundwork for his retirement?  I believe if he wins one more NC, he's gone.  He'll have the record and it will be tough to beat, especially if they go to a 8 team playoff.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/nick_saban_joins_ownership_gro.html#incart_river_index

On 1/13/2018 at 10:45 PM, lionheartkc said:

Never said it was their only focus, just that they use the media to tear down rivals more than to prop up bama, who honestly doesn't need any help in that area on their current run.

+1

How the hell could the media totally avoid a solid football program?  How can they NOT report a team that wins consistently.  Hell, we were the media darlings the moment the Iron Bowl clock ticked down.  Auburn football, Gus Malzhan, Stidham, our entire defense and oline's were the toast of ESPN and the SECNetwork.  

The media can't ignore dominating teams, they can't deny winning coaches their time in the spotlight.  IMHO, Auburn just needs to WIN more!

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

Is Saban laying the groundwork for his retirement?  I believe if he wins one more NC, he's gone.  He'll have the record and it will be tough to beat, especially if they go to a 8 team playoff.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/nick_saban_joins_ownership_gro.html#incart_river_index

They've been in the CFP every freaking year with 4 teams, expanding to 8 would only make the next poor guy that replaces NS have an easier road every year.

On 1/14/2018 at 12:54 AM, Tigerbelle said:

It is much worse now. And if you think people on the internet in general are well informed you are sadly mistaken. What checks and balances does the nickster have? He has none he can't work around because after the Logan Young fiasco bammer put their people in places of influence throughout college athletics. They will never be taken down like that again. They don't even hide stuff anymore like they did during Bear's tenure. 

There was plenty of debate in the past but since there was no internet and it was not splashed on espn  24/7  you just don't know about it. There is plenty of God-like worship for nickster and I am amazed that you don't get that. I know of a group of fans who have a weekly prayer meeting for nickster and they actually ask God to guide him in his game-day coaching decisions. They believe he is an instrument that God is using directly for his glory. That's almost a direct quote. 

Good Lord!  This sounds like some of the crap that goes on in our own damn Athletic Department.....Praying about everything, invoking God into decision making and giving all the glory to the Almighty.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, keesler said:

They've been in the CFP every freaking year with 4 teams, expanding to 8 would only make the next poor guy that replaces NS have an easier road every year.

Nope.  The person that replaces Saban is doomed.  Without looking it up, can you say who replaced The Bear?  Replacing a legend is always impossible.  How long did it take Bammer to find a suitable replacement, other than Gene Stallings, who they ran off?  It took them a generation (25 years).  An 8 team playoff means playing up to 16 games in a year.  In the NFL, other than the Patriots, there are no dynasties, and that one is close to it's end as well.  The teams in the playoff will find it harder to repeat.  They may make the playoff, but winning it will be tougher.

14 hours ago, keesler said:

Good Lord!  This sounds like some of the crap that goes on in our own damn Athletic Department.....Praying about everything, invoking God into decision making and giving all the glory to the Almighty.  :rolleyes:

There are seven figures worth of people in this state alone who don't grasp the concept that God doesn't care about college football.

1 hour ago, AUFlyer99 said:

There are seven figures worth of people in this state alone who don't grasp the concept that God doesn't care about college football.

If He did then Notre Dame would have 130 National Championships.

:beer2:

Just kidding.....

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

If He did then Notre Dame would have 130 National Championships.

:beer2:

Just kidding.....

But what if all Judeo-Christian faiths are wrong and Buddhism is right?(ducking for cover....)?

17 hours ago, saminbama said:

Nope.  The person that replaces Saban is doomed.  Without looking it up, can you say who replaced The Bear?  Replacing a legend is always impossible.  How long did it take Bammer to find a suitable replacement, other than Gene Stallings, who they ran off?  It took them a generation (25 years).  An 8 team playoff means playing up to 16 games in a year.  In the NFL, other than the Patriots, there are no dynasties, and that one is close to it's end as well.  The teams in the playoff will find it harder to repeat.  They may make the playoff, but winning it will be tougher.

bama blew it by not figuring out a way to keep Smart. He knows the process, he knows were all of the skeletons are buried (possibly even Emmert's), and he could have carried on as Saban's heir apparent. Now their only hope is to buy him back if Saban leaves any time soon, assuming that no bridges get burned in the mean time.

43 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

bama blew it by not figuring out a way to keep Smart. He knows the process, he knows were all of the skeletons are buried (possibly even Emmert's), and he could have carried on as Saban's heir apparent. Now their only hope is to buy him back if Saban leaves any time soon, assuming that no bridges get burned in the mean time.

You are correct about knowing where the skeltons are, but if he's successful at ThUGA, he'll never leave.

19 hours ago, saminbama said:

You are correct about knowing where the skeltons are, but if he's successful at ThUGA, he'll never leave.

Yea... I imagine that is the case, though it's funny what money can do.

Archived