#22 Auburn vs Ole Miss

Auhud08

Auburn (14-1, 2-0) takes on the Ole Miss rebels tonight in Auburn arena. The Tigers are coming in ranked for the first time since 2003 and looking to break a 10 game losing streak against the Rebels. Auburn has recently knocked off #24 Tennessee and now unranked Arkansas.  Ole Miss (9-6, 2-1) comes into the matchup off wins against Mississippi State and South Carolina with a loss to Georgia in between. 

The game is on ESPNU at 8pm

I think we will win but Ole Miss is another solid SEC team.   It is going to be like that all year there just aren't many cupcake games in the SEC this year. If we continue playing like we did against Tenn and Arkansas we should be able to win this and many more SEC games this year but even a minor letdown and we could lose. 

I'm very interested to see how the team reacts to being ranked. We are still extreeeemely young so there's no telling how we will come out. Glad this one is at home maybe the crowd can give the boys another boost

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm very interested to see how the team reacts to being ranked. We are still extreeeemely young so there's no telling how we will come out. Glad this one is at home maybe the crowd can give the boys another boost

I don't think we will see much of a dropoff because of the ranking. The leadership and focus of this team over the last few weeks seems to indicate things like that won't affect us much. 

34 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I totally agree. I'm interested to see if these kids can keep their edge. At the beginning of the season it was them against the world. Now they have the fans behind the team again and people outside the program are starting to say good things about them. Last year any time we got close to tourney talk we'd blow an unexpected game or go on a losing streak. I'm ready to see that this team won't have the same let downs. I have a good feeling they won't let those dips happen again.

This should be a game we win and it should not be close unless Ol miss just goes crazy shooting wise. Here is a link to get some stats on ol miss. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/145/ole-miss-rebels

They got beat pretty badly by middle tenn state. Its look like in most of their loses they had problems with defense. AU is pretty potent on the offensive side of the ball so that might give them some issues. They also don't have a lot of size so we should be able to dominate the boards in this game. Assuming we do the work on the glass and have a decent night shooting it'll be hard for ol miss to get this win. 

Keep it up tigers!!! Love watching you guys play

40 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Anyways, hope tonight's game goes something like this ... :big:

41 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Anyways, hope tonight's game goes something like this .

that was one of the best games that i have ever seen AU play.....the first half against arkie this past saturday was one of the best halves of basketball that i have ever seen an AU team play

32 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Wow we are a 10.5 point favorite. That just feels high. I hope it’s correct

ole miss' burnett, leading scorer, is out tonight

Man i look forward to watching that second half tonight. Made it through the first half last night and had to call it. We were getting beat and pushed around so it'll be fun to watch us completely run them into the ground in the second half!

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Man i look forward to watching that second half tonight. Made it through the first half last night and had to call it. We were getting beat and pushed around so it'll be fun to watch us completely run them into the ground in the second half!

That will be a nice watch, but -- SPOILER ALERT -- the final score was not indicative of how close the game was

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

That will be a nice watch, but -- SPOILER ALERT -- the final score was not indicative of how close the game was

It was very indicative. AU outscored OM 50-25 in the second half because they adjusted to deal with their poor outside shooting. To give up on this team at half is crazy. Basketball games are VERY, VERY rarely won at half. You want to bail with 10 min to go, I can kind of understand that (unless you are AT the game, then butt's in the seat until the team is back in the locker room, unless you have a wife ready to go, then you gotta do what you gotta do). But nothing about the first half said AU wasn't fighting. They just weren't getting shots to fall. So Bruce changed plans and had the players to do so. It worked beautifully and the shots started falling late to put the game away.

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

It was very indicative. AU outscored OM 50-25 in the second half because they adjusted to deal with their poor outside shooting. To give up on this team at half is crazy. Basketball games are VERY, VERY rarely won at half. You want to bail with 10 min to go, I can kind of understand that (unless you are AT the game, then butt's in the seat until the team is back in the locker room, unless you have a wife ready to go, then you gotta do what you gotta do). But nothing about the first half said AU wasn't fighting. They just weren't getting shots to fall. So Bruce changed plans and had the players to do so. It worked beautifully and the shots started falling late to put the game away.

I thought the game felt more like a 7, 8 point win personally. It didn't feel like a 15 pt beat down to me. Not complaining but the game was very much in question until the last 4 mins or so. We definitely outplayed them in the 2nd half though that is for sure. 

Shoot,  Bruce even said people are going to look at the score line and think Auburn ran away with it and that just was not the case... His words (loosely)

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

I thought the game felt more like a 7, 8 point win personally. It didn't feel like a 15 pt beat down to me. Not complaining but the game was very much in question until the last 4 mins or so. We definitely outplayed them in the 2nd half though that is for sure. 

Shoot,  Bruce even said people are going to look at the score line and think Auburn ran away with it and that just was not the case... His words (loosely)

That was a strange game to me....AU never had much of a lead until the very end yet I never feared that OM would come back at the end and steal it from us.   Our shooting was good enough and the defense caused OM to take a lot of time off the clock to get a shot each time down the floor.  

Did not have the same feeling as the arky game to me....I was always scared of a big run by them at the end.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

That was a strange game to me....AU never had much of a lead until the very end yet I never feared that OM would come back at the end and steal it from us.   Our shooting was good enough and the defense caused OM to take a lot of time off the clock to get a shot each time down the floor.  

Did not have the same feeling as the arky game to me....I was always scared of a big run by them at the end.

Exactly how I felt. While it felt like AU was in control, the lead wasn't particularly big.

it wasn't, but it trended our way steadily the entire second half.  That was as comfortable as I've ever felt when we were up by around 5 to 8 ... because at that point in the game we had just swung the game by 15-18 and were beyond trending, we were marching.

Archived