Gus Malzahn at the AFCA Convention - Quotes

RunInRed

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Exactly! 

I've heard successful musicians say their proudest moment was hearing their song on the radio for the first time. I don't think its a stretch to say that a musician would be equally as happy in the example you used. It just depends on context. An unknown artist, getting pub access spot vs. a highly successful/famous artist getting a Pepsi commercial? 

We don't need to get into the semantics of the analogy but my thought was when the big boys pay you 5-6 figures to use your song for 30 seconds it is similar to winning a national title in d-1 football with national coverage, national fame, access to the best players in the country, all the perks that come with it along with the monster salary as opposed to winning a high school state championship which is an accomplishment for the community, parents, and kids but comparatively it is like getting the exposure of having 12 new people listen to your music on Public Access TV.

*Edit: Not that getting your music on public access TV is a bad thing or something to be ashamed of -- as a musician I have been there before and understand how fun it is to have ANY place support your music but it ain't the same as having your music pay for a nice car or something.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

HS State Title = NCAA National Title.

I'm sorry......what?

Hell...winning the Iron Bowl is bigger than any HS state title!

Pffftttt...

I have no problem with his comment, as he can only attest to what he has actually experienced first hand.

He's won a HS State Title as a Head Coach, he hasn't won an NCAA National Title as a Head Coach so he has no idea how that feels.:dunno:

22 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

off topic a bit but their sec basketball coverage is pretty darn good

It's great.

I also love Gene Chizik commentating for football, he does a fantastic job.

57 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We don't need to get into the semantics of the analogy but my thought was when the big boys pay you 5-6 figures to use your song for 30 seconds it is similar to winning a national title in d-1 football with national coverage, national fame, all the perks that come with it along with the monster salary as opposed to winning a high school state championship which is an accomplishment for the community, parents, and kids but comparatively it is like getting the exposure of having 12 new people listen to your music on Public Access TV.

I guess the point I'm making is that it's commonplace for successful individuals to revert to early accomplishments that paved the way for their current success, when asked about the most meaningful, memorable or important moments of their lives. CEOs recall securing their first investment after nervously pitching their company, or making their first sale to a mom and pop store. To your point, no you cannot equate that sale to selling the same company 10 years later for $100,000,000. Its the feeling that he's being asked about, and feelings are subject to relative circumstances. 

So, while winning a high school championship is objectively a smaller accomplishment, it's subjective meaning may be very much the same. Which is why I don't think it's fair to question what it must feel like when you are talking about two completely separate sets of circumstances, during two completely different moments in someone's life. 

Again, we hear this all the time from athletes recalling their proudest achievements being ones they achieved as amateurs. I think I've read Tiger Woods talk about his US Amateur titles as his proudest achievements, and not his 14 major victories. 

Several of those comments came across as jokes to me, particularly the TX high school vs Auburn coaching jobs and SEC network stuff. If he was at a podium at a convention, I would expect there to be some humor to it. Even from Malzautomaton. 

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

I have no problem with his comment, as he can only attest to what he has actually experienced first hand.

He's won a HS State Title as a Head Coach, he hasn't won an NCAA National Title as a Head Coach so he has no idea how that feels.:dunno:

That's cool.

But, with that said, a better answer would have been "I have no clue how it feels to win a national title as a head coach since I've never done it" rather than "It's all the same". ....don't ya' think? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Malzautomaton. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Incredible. 

I 2nd that.

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Incredible. 

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I 2nd that.

3 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

:bow:

Aw shucks. *mcblush*

(Out of reactions again, hence the self-serving top quotes.)

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aw shucks. *mcblush*

(Out of reactions again, hence the self-serving top quotes.)

McBlushing is way better than @MCPeePantsing

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Several of those comments came across as jokes to me, particularly the TX high school vs Auburn coaching jobs and SEC network stuff. If he was at a podium at a convention, I would expect there to be some humor to it. Even from Malzautomaton. 

:bow:

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I guess the point I'm making is that it's commonplace for successful individuals to revert to early accomplishments that paved the way for their current success, when asked about the most meaningful, memorable or important moments of their lives. CEOs recall securing their first investment after nervously pitching their company to, or making their first sale to a mom and pop store. To your point, no you cannot equate that sale to selling the same company 10 years later for $100,000,000. Its the feeling that he's being asked about, and feelings are subject to relative circumstances. 

So, while winning a high school championship is objectively a smaller accomplishment, it's subjective meaning may be very much the same. Which is why I don't think it's fair to question what it must feel like when you are talking about two completely separate sets of circumstances, during two completely different moments in someone's life. 

Again, we hear this all the time from athletes recalling their proudest achievements being ones they achieved as amateurs. I think I've read Tiger Woods talk about his US Amateur titles as his proudest achievements, and not his 14 major victories. 

I understand what you're saying. I, admittedly, did not put as much thought into the analogy as I should have. And I can follow your logic

I took the championship comments to mean, whenever one wins one, no matter the level, it feels the same. No matter the level, if you achieve a win in the championship, you can't feel any better.

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Except the TXHS quip is very true. It is very difficult to land a TXHS coaching gig.

53 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

off topic a bit but their sec basketball coverage is pretty darn good

I’ll have to check it out.  I haven’t watched much of their basketball coverage.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

MCPeePantsing is cool though. 

I see you, Billy Madison. 

Adam Sandler should really consider casting himself as a hero to the downtrodden in one of his movies.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Except the TXHS quip is very true. It is very difficult to land a TXHS coaching gig.

Hey man, I watched Friday Night Lights. My eyes are clear and my heart is full. Coach Eric Taylor is a hero of mine (in no small part for marrying the stunning Mrs. Coach Eric Tammy Taylor). I watched Dazed and Confused and Varsity Blues, too. So I'm pretty sure I know way more about Texas football than you do, buddy.

Welp, that was fun. Seriously, I know it's life or death over there. I think maybe he was just using a little humor to hammer that point home. 

2 hours ago, cctiger said:

Well, he is from Arkcansaw so......

Made me think of this scene from the movie Sling blade:

Carl Childers: "There were these two fellars standin' on a bridge, a-goin' to the bathroom. One fellar said, "The water's cold" and the other fellar said, "The water's deep". I believe one fella come from Arkansas. Get it?" 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Especially when it's a community where all the kids came up together through Kindergarten and were not recruited or drafted. Hell yes that would mean more internally to win with your friends. We call Auburn "family" but that is just trying to replicate your home town. There is real passion for HS sports in some communities. Even the tiny 2a program I'm from. 

Considering how many schools are in the running for a state football championship, in some ways that's a steeper hill to climb and just getting to quarter or semi finals is a big deal for the players and he coaches.   And don't think I've seen a HS player, coach or fan take the view that a game wasn't important.

Archived