Gus Malzahn at the AFCA Convention - Quotes

RunInRed

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, keesler said:

IMO, the pressure was greatly reduce almost the moment the Jacobs announcement was made public.  Or maybe it was just coincidental that the team and game planning improved in the UGA UAT games which occurred after JJ announced retirement.  IDK, but something in Gus changed and it was visible, a more aggressive attitude, a killer instinct? 

And then it went away... Makes you wonder what changed in that week before the SEC Championship game.

17 hours ago, WDE0007 said:

The only quote I'm iffy and "what..." about is his quote about how it was easier to get a job at Auburn than a Texas HS. But the overall consensus I got from those quotes was that he didn't choose the right words to explain what he meant.

I got the impression he was saying no matter what level it is, a championship is a championship and feels equally as special and important. The quote about the SEC Network focusing on getting coaches fired, I took it as he feels the SEC Network should be focusing on the sports and talent and not so much the gossip and such. 

I think Gus should complete some media training, personally. Maybe a media training session or two can help him articulate his thoughts better so that they don't get misconstrued, sound arrogant, or offensive.

When you have talking heads like PF and Laura Rutledge who don't know a thing about playcalling, scheming, etc then to fill the time until a good interview comes up they love to stir the pot.

19 hours ago, RunInRed said:

At $7M per year, he seems pretty thin-skinned, IYAM.

Seems?

He had no problem bending AU over to get his 7m a year. But he doesn't want to be held responsible for his play. 

15 hours ago, keesler said:

IMO, the pressure was greatly reduce almost the moment the Jacobs announcement was made public.  Or maybe it was just coincidental that the team and game planning improved in the UGA UAT games which occurred after JJ announced retirement.  IDK, but something in Gus changed and it was visible, a more aggressive attitude, a killer instinct? 

He was about to get run out of AU. He lost the support of a lot of folks that he thought would never turn their backs on him after LSU. Leath told Gus, directly to Gus in a meeting, that he was disgusted after the LSU loss.  

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He was about to get run out of AU. He lost the support of a lot of folks that he thought would never turn their backs on him after LSU. Leath told Gus, directly to Gus in a meeting, that he was disgusted after the LSU loss.  

Wow 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Seems?

He had no problem bending AU over to get his 7m a year. But he doesn't want to be held responsible for his play. 

Gus' big contract bought him about 2 years where Gus is under no pressure to make any changes to his weak O staff no matter how bad our O performs in big games.

wde

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Seems?

Anybody else besides me ever jokingly think Bama & UGA worked together to lose to us so we'd have to keep Gus a good while longer & pony up to do it?

But now with the the new contract, Gus no longer has that pressure.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Gus' big contract bought him about 2 years where Gus is under no pressure to make any changes to his weak O staff no matter how bad our O performs in big games.

wde

2? He has at least 4. He is here for a while. 

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Maybe but it may have bought him more than 2 personally. I believe it's fully guaranteed. $35 mil is a lot to pay to fire a coach after 2 years.

Just now, AUIH1 said:

But now with the the new contract, Gus no longer has that pressure.

wde

And we got the UCF game. Lets all hope that was a bump in the road and we get the uat Gus. I'm going to try and think we have the uat Gus. But when Gus gets in front of the mic and says the stuff he did at AFCA convention, makes me think we have the 8-5 Gus. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

2? He has at least 4. He is here for a while. 

I think after 2 years and we keep laying eggs like Clemson, LSU, the SECCG and UCF along with losing to UGA and spuat that pressure will start to build big time.  That big contract Gus received also ramped up expectations.

wde

Just now, ellitor said:

Maybe but it may have bought him more than 2 personally. I believe it's fully guaranteed. $35 mil is a lot to pay to fire a coach after 2 years.

He is here for at least 4 more years. Bullet proof for 3 of those years. 

He is here for at least 4 more years. Bullet proof for 3 of those years. 

Which is why I am done stressing. 8 wins the low point, 10 wins the high point. This is what we paid for UNLESS we get a capable athletic QB.

Just now, AUIH1 said:

I think after 2 years and we keep laying eggs like Clemson, LSU, the SECCG and UCF along with losing to UGA and spuat that pressure will start to build big time.  That big contract Gus received also ramped up expectations.

wde

With the rebuilding project the new AD will have, Gus is bullet proof for 3 years. The AD is a absolute mess. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You may be right, but I just believe that 7mil also came with a lot of expectations.

wde

Just now, DAG said:

Which is why I am done stressing. 8 wins the low point, 10 wins the high point. This is what we paid for UNLESS we get a capable athletic QB.

I'm going to try this. But I have to admit I was absolutely livid after the UCF game. Stayed off here for a while. 

With the rebuilding project the new AD will have, Gus is bullet proof for 3 years. The AD is a absolute mess. 

You are probably right, but I hope you are not.

wde

I'm going to try this. But I have to admit I was absolutely livid after the UCF game. Stayed off here for a while. 

That is the game that really set me off. Of course, I would've loved to beat UGA a second time but that is a dang good team. I wasn't tripping over that too much, but games like LSU, who came in very unconfident btw, and UCF, who you knew had a chip on their shoulder, we needed to be ready and victorious in those games.

I don't think the fan base should just stand by and take it if Gus gives us crap like UCF.  Granted much of it may be voicing concerns on message boards, then so be it.   If Leath was that pissed off after LSU and voiced his displeasure directly to Gus is a good sign to me that Leath won't sit idly by and let Gus be mediocre.

wde

5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

You may be right, but I just believe that 7mil also came with a lot of expectations.

wde

No more than what we have done. He got the raise after beating Bama & UGA 2 times in 5 years. That'a what we paid for. That's the expectation regardless of the money amount and whether we fans like it or not.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the game that really set me off. Of course, I would've loved to beat UGA a second time but that is a dang good team. I wasn't tripping over that too much, but games like LSU, who came in very unconfident btw, and UCF, who you knew had a chip on their shoulder, we needed to be ready and victorious in those games.

Agree with everything you just posted. An absolute chore to beat that uga team twice in 3 weeks. Don't think even uat could have done that. Wasn't upset very much at all. 

Now the LSU and UCF games. Damn. Gets a new contract and goes out and his team gets whipped on both sides of the ball. Damn damn damn. 

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

I don't think the fan base should just stand by and take it if Gus gives us crap like UCF.  Granted much of it may be voicing concerns on message boards, then so be it.   If Leath was that pissed off after LSU and voiced his displeasure directly to Gus is a good sign to me that Leath won't sit idly by and let Gus be mediocre.

wde

Think I've proven here that I won't. :beer2:

Archived