Gus Malzahn at the AFCA Convention - Quotes

RunInRed

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of our problem is, Gus sees no difference between high school and college football.

I love the last comment about the SEC Network. I would think that a collegiate NC would mean more than HS but I never won either one so my opinion doesn't count. :-\

I get he doesn't want to throw his former HS players under the bus, but to think winning a Division 1 NCAA football championship is the same as winning a HS state title is baffling to me.

That's like saying a musician would be equally as happy with their song being on public access TV as they would if Pepsi picked up their song for a commercial

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I get he doesn't want to throw his former HS players under the bus, but to think winning a Division 1 NCAA football championship is the same as winning a HS state title is baffling to me.

That's like saying a musician would be equally as happy with their song being on public access TV as they would if Pepsi picked up their song for a commercial

Well, he is from Arkcansaw so......

HS State Title = NCAA National Title.

I'm sorry......what?

Hell...winning the Iron Bowl is bigger than any HS state title!

Pffftttt...

Gus has always been a pro HS coach guy. Every NCAA rules change to anything impacting Hs coaches and getting jobs in the FBS, he has been one of the first to respond about it.

While the quotes suck and diminish the accomplishments he’s had A. winning it all and B. Becoming a HC at a FBS power, I think the overall message was to reduce the intimidating factor of going from HS to College. It just sucks that Auburn is victim here lol.

18 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Part of our problem is, Gus sees no difference between high school and college football.

Maybe, but I definitely understand how a high-school championship would be just as meaningful as a college championship. I've heard plenty of players/coaches over the years say their most memorable championship was a high school one. Heck, Nick Saban talked this morning about how much he relishes his high school championship. 

Wooow....and why does he care about the commentary from the SEC network? Just do your job and everything else will work out fine

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Wooow....and why does he care about the commentary from the SEC network? Just do your job and everything else will work out fine

Seems odd to call them out specifically unless he was specifically asked about that network. 

11 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

im going to take the championship quotes as him saying he likes to win at every level.

but has difficulty in doing what it takes

Know I’m going to get bashed for this.....but there are probably 90-100 schools that would like to be auburn (save the horrible schedule) and the two freshmen playing last night were much more the exception than the rule. Both five stars and one top ranked recruit in the country.  I guess we could blame our coaches for their inability to get those players. I am not taking up for Gus bc he’s getting paid to take it now. And certainly should not whine. The fact they still made AU 10 means someone thinks we had something. 

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

yeah that was the line that stood out the most to me. That and the comment about it being easier to land a job at Auburn than a high school in Texas. 

The SEC network does suck because a lack of quality programming (for that matter most of ESPN sucks).  Only watch when a game is on and turn down the volume, lol.   However, the talk of Gus getting fired is on Gus and his coaching performance (schizophrenic at best).  

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Maybe, but I definitely understand how a high-school championship would be just as meaningful as a college championship. I've heard plenty of players/coaches over the years say their most memorable championship was a high school one. Heck, Nick Saban talked this morning about how much he relishes his high school championship. 

Especially when it's a community where all the kids came up together through Kindergarten and were not recruited or drafted. Hell yes that would mean more internally to win with your friends. We call Auburn "family" but that is just trying to replicate your home town. There is real passion for HS sports in some communities. Even the tiny 2a program I'm from. 

5 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Know I’m going to get bashed for this.....but there are probably 90-100 schools that would like to be auburn (save the horrible schedule) and the two freshmen playing last night were much more the exception than the rule. Both five stars and one top ranked recruit in the country.  I guess we could blame our coaches for their inability to get those players. I am not taking up for Gus bc he’s getting paid to take it now. And certainly should not whine. The fact they still made AU 10 means someone thinks we had something. 

Yes you will get bashed. The game thread last night was a "pile on and hammer Gus thread". I worry about the mental health of a lot of people.

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

yeah that was the line that stood out the most to me. That and the comment about it being easier to land a job at Auburn than a high school in Texas. 

Yeah that was very weird

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Especially when it's a community where all the kids came up together through Kindergarten and were not recruited or drafted. Hell yes that would mean more internally to win with your friends. We call Auburn "family" but that is just trying to replicate your home town. There is real passion for HS sports in some communities. Even the tiny 2a program I'm from. 

Exactly! 

52 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I've heard successful musicians say their proudest moment was hearing their song on the radio for the first time. I don't think its a stretch to say that a musician would be equally as happy in the example you used. It just depends on context. An unknown artist, getting pub access spot vs. a highly successful/famous artist getting a Pepsi commercial? 

I think many don't realize just how BIG high school football is in Texas. I've seen stadiums/facilities in that state that rival a lot of colleges across the U.S. It's pretty insane over there!

His comment about the SEC Network had me chuckling. It doesn't start/stop with them but every media outlet wants to focus on the next hiring/firing of a coach. It's the "trendy" thing to do.

29 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

The SEC network does suck because a lack of quality programming (for that matter most of ESPN sucks).  Only watch when a game is on and turn down the volume, lol.   However, the talk of Gus getting fired is on Gus and his coaching performance (schizophrenic at best).  

off topic a bit but their sec basketball coverage is pretty darn good

Archived