Gus Malzahn at the AFCA Convention - Quotes

RunInRed

Quotes in fuller context ...

"This coaching stuff, especially in college, it's a lot of fun for me," Malzahn said at the end of his speech. "I mean it's really cool and all that, but the families, with everything that you go through with this SEC Network.

"You know, the SEC Network was supposed to be really cool three or four years ago. Now, it's all about they're trying to get the coach fired about every other day you turn it on. Your family's the one that pays the price for that. I'm isolated; all I've got is kind of what's in the with the team and all that. It's a real challenge and I'm blessed to have the family I have."

"That was really my dream, to go to Texas and coach high school," Malzahn said. "I tell people, it's harder to get a good job in Texas than it is a college job. In 2003 I applied for Plano East, it was open and I sent my resume in and I told them I wrote a book and all this stuff, I didn't even get an interview. So I tell people it's harder to get a high school coach than it is to Auburn coaching job."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/01/gus_malzahn_expresses_displeas.html#incart_river_index

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I see you, Billy Madison. 

Adam Sandler should really consider casting himself as a hero to the downtrodden in one of his movies.

You'd think...

Betcha he could make a lot of money doing that...

The only quote I'm iffy and "what..." about is his quote about how it was easier to get a job at Auburn than a Texas HS. But the overall consensus I got from those quotes was that he didn't choose the right words to explain what he meant.

I got the impression he was saying no matter what level it is, a championship is a championship and feels equally as special and important. The quote about the SEC Network focusing on getting coaches fired, I took it as he feels the SEC Network should be focusing on the sports and talent and not so much the gossip and such. 

I think Gus should complete some media training, personally. Maybe a media training session or two can help him articulate his thoughts better so that they don't get misconstrued, sound arrogant, or offensive.

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

Quotes in fuller context ...

Thanks as always, sir.

So it reads to me like he wasn't joking on the SECN stuff, but using a wee bit of humor on the TX high school employment. 

Either way, Earth appears not to have shattered. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

That and the comment about it being easier to land a job at Auburn than a high school in Texas.

That, my friend, is the quintessential example of Gus Malzahn trying to be funny.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

That, my friend, is the quintessential example of Gus Malzahn trying to be funny.

Haha yeah, someone pointed it out. I should have gathered as much. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Haha yeah, someone pointed it out. I should have gathered as much. 

Remember... he, himself, said that he doesn't understand jokes.

10 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

I think Gus should complete some media training, personally. Maybe a media training session or two can help him articulate his thoughts better so that they don't get misconstrued, sound arrogant, or offensive.

Based on my experience, once bad on stage, ALWAYS bad on stage. Some people just aren't comfortable speaking in public, and I would certainly rather he concentrate on the product on the field than how he comes across at speaking engagements. 

Got that job security, now tell us what you really think Gus. Lol

Can someone tell him that going consistently 8-5... consistently losing to rivals and under performing against SEC foes, that's what gets one talking about firing. He kind of brought it on himself. 

Also, can we get Plano East to interview him now. Lol

He'll be alright and we'll be alright. Carry on Coach, now go win consistently. 

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

I love the last comment about the SEC Network. I would think that a collegiate NC would mean more than HS but I never won either one so my opinion doesn't count. :-\

When you work hard to help your team realize their potential there shouldn't be any difference to be honest with you (as a head coach). In my opinion they are all the same in the eyes of a coach. I know when my guys won their region and made it to the semifinals but fell short by 6 yards making state it felt like we'd lost the world.

He's our guy....get behind him and hope for the best. We're not a bottom feeder but we feel like it sometimes.

who was the audience?    Were they mostly HS coaches?  If so, makes sense that he is elevating those in the audience.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Except the TXHS quip is very true. It is very difficult to land a TXHS coaching gig.

How hard can it be? Hell you got one..........just saying

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

How hard can it be? Hell you got one..........just saying

Grace of God

57 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Remember... he, himself, said that he doesn't understand jokes.

He said he doesn't understand the point of jokes - not that he doesn't understand them.  He's a stick in the mud nerd who can come off as socially awkward.  A good ball coach, but not much of a laid back public speaker.

34 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

He's our guy....get behind him and hope for the best. We're not a bottom feeder but we feel like it sometimes.

:wareagle:

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

He said he doesn't understand the point of jokes - not that he doesn't understand them.  He's a stick in the mud nerd who can come off as socially awkward.  A good ball coach, but not much of a laid back public speaker.

I guess we should be 100% accurate: Former Tulsa assistant Bill Blankenship said. “One of the players told a joke in the locker room once. Without missing a beat, Gus says, ‘Jokes. Huh. I don’t tell ’em, I don’t get ’em.’”

I guess the "don't tell 'em" part has changed.... sort of :)

43 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I guess we should be 100% accurate: Former Tulsa assistant Bill Blankenship said. “One of the players told a joke in the locker room once. Without missing a beat, Gus says, ‘Jokes. Huh. I don’t tell ’em, I don’t get ’em.’”

I guess the "don't tell 'em" part has changed.... sort of :)

I hope this new contract extension will provide some levity and allow him to relax and take a better perspective about his job.  The man seems so uptight sometimes.  I honestly feel like the coming change of the guard in the AD will do wonders for GM, culling some of the “hall monitors” in Jacobs regime will help too.  

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I hope this new contract extension will provide some levity and allow him to relax and take a better perspective about his job.  The man seems so uptight sometimes.  I honestly feel like the coming change of the guard in the AD will do wonders for GM, culling some of the “hall monitors” in Jacobs regime will help too.  

I agree 100%. I've heard that, if you can get him 1-on-1 or in a small group where he's comfortable, he's a totally different person than the uncomfortable guy we see in front of a camera. Maybe more of that will seep through once the pressure is reduced. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree 100%. I've heard that, if you can get him 1-on-1 or in a small group where he's comfortable, he's a totally different person than the uncomfortable guy we see in front of a camera. Maybe more of that will seep through once the pressure is reduced. 

IMO, the pressure was greatly reduce almost the moment the Jacobs announcement was made public.  Or maybe it was just coincidental that the team and game planning improved in the UGA UAT games which occurred after JJ announced retirement.  IDK, but something in Gus changed and it was visible, a more aggressive attitude, a killer instinct? 

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Well, I'd love to see him really uptight and downright miserable speaking in front of 80000 accepting the NC trophy next year. :)

Archived