Gus Malzahn at the AFCA Convention - Quotes

RunInRed

Just now, ellitor said:

No more than what we have done. He got the raise after beating Bama & UGA 2 times in 5 years. That'a what we paid for. That's the expectation regardless of the money amount and whether we fans like it or not.

I hope you are wrong, because if you are not, then AU is the ultimate little brother.

wde

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No more than what we have done. He got the raise after beating Bama & UGA 2 times in 5 years. That'a what we paid for. That's the expectation regardless of the money amount and whether we fans like it or not.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if AU had a legit AD.  I bet AU tells Gus to go to Arkie. But we will never know. 

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Think I've proven here that I won't. :beer2:

I hope you keep up the good fight my man, because you are sounding in this thread a little like you are just resigned to whatever happens and you are just going to sit by and watch it happen.

wde

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if AU had a legit AD.  I bet AU tells Gus to go to Arkie. But we will never know. 

Gus would've failed miserably at Arkansas, whose fanbase is 10x worst than ours when it comes to expectations and voicing opinions. Gus knows this. I have to believe he did. The only saving grace was that they were so desperate they were going to give him the keys to the freaking state:

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yep. I never thought of that. Good call.

But alas here we are. 8-10 is the mark. I will think differently when either MW or JG gets under center.

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

But alas here we are. 8-10 is the mark. I will think differently when either MW or JG gets under center.

QB inconsistency is not the only issue though. A running QB won't magically fix things, especially as WDE point out, if the OL us a problem next year.

Just now, ellitor said:

QB inconsistency is not the only issue though. A running QB won't magically fix things, especially as WDE point out, if the OL us a problem next year.

I never once said that. 

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

And then it went away... Makes you wonder what changed in that week before the SEC Championship game.

I truly hope you are wrong.   

My spin is the SECCG showed our vulnerability with only having 1 deep at RB and our O line play was sub par.  The D eventually got gassed when the O couldn't sustain a drive. 

Now hopefully Gus is smart enough to work on his shortcomings at developing depth.  He did not learn that in 2016 b/c M Willis threw like 2 passes this year and didn't play a meaningful snap all year and we know KJ was the only horse he trusted.     Gus also got a free lesson on Monday night.

If you are right, the next 5 yrs will be woefully painful.  

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I will say this though. You ask me who I would rather have between an athletic QB or a stick in the mud QB with Oline woes, I will take the athletic QB. Our worst recruited athletic QB is not getting sacked 11 times against Clemson, although our O-Line isn't completely at fault for that nor do I think that one DE from UCF is singlehandedly (excuse the pun) chasing down them. Now, this is under a CGM offense mind you. I am not speaking in generalizations.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I never once said that. 

Maybe not but it's strongly implied by how the posts were typed. If that's not what you were getting at the I apologize.

I'm trying to keep things in perspective. Bama has been on a historic roll. We've done well to compete with them. Same conference, same division, same state. I am not scared of them. I'll take 10 wins per year with a chance at the playoffs every year going into November. I get it- we lost 3 games that we shouldn't have. That's often the case in sports.

What else do you all want? 

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I truly hope you are wrong.   

My spin is the SECCG showed our vulnerability with only having 1 deep at RB and our O line play was sub par.  The D eventually got gassed when the O couldn't sustain a drive. 

Now hopefully Gus is smart enough to work on his shortcomings at developing depth.  He did not learn that in 2016 b/c M Willis threw like 2 passes this year and didn't play a meaningful snap all year and we know KJ was the only horse he trusted.     Gus also got a free lesson on Monday night.

If you are right, the next 5 yrs will be woefully painful.  

It's not like he can't get his swagger back... but I'm not wrong. His attitude on the sidelines was TOTALLY different for both of those games vs Georgia 1 and the Iron Bowl. I do wonder if our issues at running back were the reason. Being without #1 because of injury and #2 because of whatever is going on with him was probably very frustrating for Gus, especially after injuries plagued him for the past 2 seasons. That frustration may have carried over to the bowl game when #2 was still unavailable, arguably for reasons that are very upsetting to Gus, and then our top DB went home.

And, no, I don't buy that his attitude change was because he was playing for his job. No one suddenly gets swagger because they are under pressure... They get anxious, even desperate. They don't walk around with a cocky grin on their face. We've seen Gus under pressure, and it's not pretty.

Side note, comparing 3* Willis to 5* Tagovailoa is unfair to Willis. Tagovailoa came to college ready to take the field and battled for the start in camp. Willis wasn't even close. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if a kid isn't getting it done in practice, giving him game reps isn't going to fix it, and it might cost you some turnovers.

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm trying to keep things in perspective. Bama has been on a historic roll. We've done well to compete with them. Same conference, same division, same state. I am not scared of them. I'll take 10 wins per year with a chance at the playoffs every year going into November. I get it- we lost 3 games that we shouldn't have. That's often the case in sports.

What else do you all want? 

When have we won 10 games a year? You ain't winning 10 games a year if you are losing 3 games you shouldn't have lost. Come on people. Secondly, it is unrealistic to think most coaches will win 10 games a year. The key is consistency, consistency, consistency. It is not rocket science.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I will say this though. You ask me who I would rather have between an athletic QB or a stick in the mud QB with Oline woes, I will take the athletic QB. Our worst recruited athletic QB is not getting sacked 11 times against Clemson, although our O-Line isn't completely at fault for that nor do I think that one DE from UCF is singlehandedly (excuse the pun) chasing down them. Now, this is under a CGM offense mind you. I am not speaking in generalizations.

Exactly.

All of us conversing about the AU offense need to keep in mind.... We're not discussing these issues (real or perceived) with "general" offense, or even CCL's offense in mind.  This is still 99.9% Gus' offense.

The "Gus" offense needs an athletic QB (ala NM) to cover up the other short-comings that Gus seems to be unable to address.  No, the QB ain't the only problem, but a really dangerous running threat from that position MUST always be addressed by the D, thus taking a LOT of pressure off of the other positions (OL, especially).

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He was about to get run out of AU. He lost the support of a lot of folks that he thought would never turn their backs on him after LSU. Leath told Gus, directly to Gus in a meeting, that he was disgusted after the LSU loss.  

This whole thing is disgusting.  Leath couldn’t have known Gus’ tendencies while negotiating this new deal; Leath had to listen to certain people who were “close to the situation”.  It was a perfect storm, too many coaching changes, too little coaching talent for the number of quality programs looking for a new coach and Arky making noise for Gus.  Give credit to Gus’ agent, but Auburn is stuck with a coach that has no incentive to grow and believes that he doesn’t have to.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

When have we won 10 games a year? You ain't winning 10 games a year if you are losing 3 games you shouldn't have lost. Come on people. Secondly, it is unrealistic to think most coaches will win 10 games a year. The key is consistency, consistency, consistency. It is not rocket science.

We won 10 this year. Do it again next year and I'm happy. 

We're consistent. We know exactly what we're getting every year ? 

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If he can do that, that would be great.

5 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

And more importantly the Auburn Administration is perfectly happy and satisfied with what we are getting.  A 7 yr/$49mm guaranteed contract proves it!

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly.

All of us conversing about the AU offense need to keep in mind.... We're not discussing these issues (real or perceived) with "general" offense, or even CCL's offense in mind.  This is still 99.9% Gus' offense.

The "Gus" offense needs an athletic QB (ala NM) to cover up the other short-comings that Gus seems to be unable to address.  No, the QB ain't the only problem, but a really dangerous running threat from that position MUST always be addressed by the D, thus taking a LOT of pressure off of the other positions (OL, especially).

Exactly. Even our worst QB ever in passing, JF3. When he was in the game, the defense had to respect his speed. You could tell it was a different look at the rushing offense. They couldn't just bull rush 4 men. Now the problem was he couldn't pass, so whenever they did play discipline football, you had to pray he can make the pass. Need an adequate passer is all. 

I hate to say it but SW made people miss more than JS. I feel like once JS gets going his stride is hard to stop and of course, he is bigger, but he isn't making anybody miss and he is done once the blitz comes. Hopefully, he grows next year and learns to handle the blitz 

21 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

They should have asked him if he learned anything by watching two True Freshman play for a championship. 

No one seems to be considering that the reason Najee Harris  was in the game (along with Smith who caught the game-winner) was because they are the unit Tua practices with. Made perfect sense if they thought the chemistry was better and probably had less to do with "proving you can win with freshmen."

4 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

In all seriousness, I think consistently winning 10 games a year would be function of consistently being ready week to week. We haven't done the latter. Until we do, the former ain't happenin'. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly. Even our worst QB ever in passing, JF3. When he was in the game, the defense had to respect his speed. You could tell it was a different look at the rushing offense. They couldn't just bull rush 4 men. Now the problem was he couldn't pass, so whenever they did play discipline football, you had to pray he can make the pass. Need an adequate passer is all. 

I hate to say it but SW made people miss more than JS. I feel like once JS gets going his stride is hard to stop and of course, he is bigger, but he isn't making anybody miss and he is done once the blitz comes. Hopefully, he grows next year and learns to handle the blitz 

Still crazy to me that we invested so much in Franklin and still weren't willing or able to go to him when White was obviously damaged against uga last year. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In all seriousness, I think consistently winning 10 games a year would be function of consistently being ready week to week. We haven't done the latter. Until we do, the former ain't happenin'. 

Good point and I think this is another one of my frustrations. The idea of "it is hard to get up for this game" just doesn't sit right with me. As I have constantly said, the very great teams, and there are a very minimal number of them, are consistently the overwhelming favorite in a good portion of their games. You have to be ready to play every game because you will get everybody's best shot. Talented or not, this is not easy to deal with. These teams aren't perfect. They have let downs as well but most times they don't and that speaks to not only their athletic ability but mental fortitude.

Archived