Gus Malzahn at the AFCA Convention - Quotes

RunInRed

8 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

No one seems to be considering that the reason Najee Harris  was in the game (along with Smith who caught the game-winner) was because they are the unit Tua practices with. Made perfect sense if they thought the chemistry was better and probably had less to do with "proving you can win with freshmen."

Very good point. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Very good point. 

Why is that a good point? That is what smart coaches do. It was never about proving to win with a freshman. It was about winning the dang freaking game. The fact of the matter was that they were indeed freshman, which makes it even more spectacular. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Still crazy to me that we invested so much in Franklin and still weren't willing or able to go to him when White was obviously damaged against uga last year. 

I couldn't even answer this. Hate that I even bought up JF3 because it brings back such frustrating memories haha

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why is that a good point? That is what smart coaches do. It was never about proving to win with a freshman. It was about winning the dang freaking game. The fact of the matter was that they were indeed freshman, which makes it even more spectacular. 

Because I guess I'm not as smart as you are so I didn't consider the point as to why the freshman back was in with the freshman quarterback in a NC game. Gee, you could cut some of us with so much less football intellect a bit of slack. :-\

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Still crazy to me that we invested so much in Franklin and still weren't willing or able to go to him when White was obviously damaged against uga last year. 

Gus invested an inordinate amount of time in Franklin and we, as fans, couldn’t see the results until the Vandy game that year.  Once he fumbled, Gus got nervous and out comes SW in the second half.  The whole attitude of the team changed and Auburn was able to secure the victory.  SW was still not 100% during the Vandy game as IIRC he was suppose to sit out the entire game.  This set up the UGA game when SW did get hurt, Gus had no confidence in his backups and wouldn’t play them.  Of course, Gus never knew SW was hurt as SW didn’t tell Gus he was hurt. A plausible excuse?

SW’s ego was writing checks his body couldn’t cash.

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Because I guess I'm not as smart as you are so I didn't consider the point as to why the freshman back was in with the freshman quarterback in a NC game. Gee, you could cut some of us with so much less football intellect a bit of slack. :-\

It doesn't make sense to let the unit with the most chemistry play together? Not trying to sound rude, but it is going to come off this way. Hate me if you like, but that is groundbreaking to you? This is not just a football thing. We saw this with Jon Lester and David Ross during the Chicago Cubs world series run.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

It doesn't make sense to let the unit with the most chemistry play together? Not trying to sound rude, but it is going to come off this way. Hate me if you like, but that is groundbreaking to you? 

Not groundbreaking but truthfully o understand playing Tua based on the first half but honestly if the situation was reversed and it was Auburn playing Willis then I am still wanting KJ as my back. 

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus invested an inordinate amount of time in Franklin and we, as fans, couldn’t see the results until the Vandy game that year.  Once he fumbled, Gus got nervous and out comes SW in the second half.  The whole attitude of the team changed and Auburn was able to secure the victory.  SW was still not 100% during the Vandy game as IIRC he was suppose to sit out the entire game.  This set up the UGA game when SW did get hurt, Gus had no confidence in his backups and wouldn’t play them.  Of course, Gus never knew SW was hurt as SW didn’t tell Gus he was hurt. A plausible excuse?

SW’s ego was writing checks his body couldn’t case.

Gus blaming Sean for that was, hopefully, a low point for him. For Gus, I mean. That is some spineless, chickensh** behavior from a head coach. IMO.

I'll spare y'all another rant on what I think Gus could and should have done better before and during that game. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Not groundbreaking but truthfully o understand playing Tua based on the first half but honestly if the situation was reversed and it was Auburn playing Willis then I am still wanting KJ as my back. 

You can't even compare the two because Gus would never pull a fully healthy JS. Nor does it seem he would pull an injured KJ.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

This whole thing is disgusting.  Leath couldn’t have known Gus’ tendencies while negotiating this new deal; Leath had to listen to certain people who were “close to the situation”.  It was a perfect storm, too many coaching changes, too little coaching talent for the number of quality programs looking for a new coach and Arky making noise for Gus.  Give credit to Gus’ agent, but Auburn is stuck with a coach that has no incentive to grow and believes that he doesn’t have to.

The prospect of this last sentence being true makes my head spin.

What if Gus does get complacent now that he got a monster contract and there is no longer job-security related pressure on him to shore up his deficiencies? 

Just now, Tiger said:

The prospect of this last sentence being true makes me want to vomit.

What if Gus does get complacent now that he got a monster contract and there is no longer job-security related pressure on him to shore up his deficiencies? 

We will have to deal with it haha

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Of course, he could pull a Dabo too 

This is my hope. What were Clemson fans pissed at specifically during the time they wanted to fire him? Did they have super specific faults they could see or was it just "he's not winning enough"?

Just now, Tiger said:

This is my hope. What were Clemson fans pissed at specifically during the time they wanted to fire him? Did they have super specific faults they could see or was it just "he's not winning enough"?

Well clemsoning for one thing and he had that one 6 win season during our 2010 NC run. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well clemsoning for one thing and he had that one 6 win season during our 2010 NC run. 

Yep. I remember that stuff but it seems like we have really specific points that Gus needs to fix to become a great coach and I'm wondering if Clemson fans also had a laundry list of things Dabo needed to fix.

I get that it's a different type of situation as Dabo is a CEO style HC and less hands on but I also don't have any Clemson fan friends so I have no idea.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I hope the new AD put a gag order on Gus. :thedeal:

but I thought he didn't get gags?

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yep. I remember that stuff but it seems like we have really specific points that Gus needs to fix to become a great coach and I'm wondering if Clemson fans also had a laundry list of things Dabo needed to fix.

I get that it's a different type of situation as Dabo is a CEO style HC and less hands on but I also don't have any Clemson fan friends so I have no idea.

No Dabo biggest issue was winning the big games, kind of like Mark Richt. Gus is just too helter-skelter for me...but I got to deal with it.

18 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is that a dad joke?

Just a meager attempt at a joke gag.

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

No Dabo biggest issue was winning the big games, kind of like Mark Richt. Gus is just too helter-skelter for me...but I got to deal with it.

What if....the big pay day gives Gus the security and sigh of relief he needed and now that lets him loosen the reigns on his assistants and lets them coach? Pressure is kind of off of him and maybe his thought process was "shoot, if I'm going to get fired it's going to be because I failed and not because my staff members aren't getting it done" 

Maybe this sense of security gives way to a more Chip influenced offense?

6 hours ago, DAG said:

I SWEAR you're a closet bammer..LOL

For anyone thinking Malzahn will get complacent because he has s great contract, why wouldn’t that be true for ANY coach who has something similar? Most coaches have guaranteed money. That’s not unique. 

Gus Malzahn on winning the natty at Auburn in 2010: "I get asked all the time how it feels to win the national championship. It feels the exact same as winning a high school championship. It's all the same."

Here's a difference.  How many high school coaches make 7 mil a year?  I know of only one.

It seems Gus actually does attempt humor from time to time according to this..... Malzahn backpedaled those comments when asked about them Wednesday, saying they were meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

"Really, I was having fun with that comment," Malzahn said. "I'm a big fan of the SEC Network. Now, did they say I was going to get fired? They probably did, but I was really having more fun with that."

Archived