Panthers fire Mike Shula and QB Coach

WFE12

Good gosh Almighty they did it! Now they can hopefully hire the right guy to run this offense and get cam appropriate help. 

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Good gosh Almighty they did it! Now they can hopefully hire the right guy to run this offense and get cam appropriate help. 

Took a long time to move Shula out...but the team is disintegrating right now.....being sold, and even some questions about whether they would stay in Charlotte....someone talking a new stadium,  wondering whether league will push a certain ownership group for political reasons,  half the team looked like they were going through the motions on Sunday.    Things not good in Charlotte.   

I hated Shula's hire initially. Then he started utilizing some of Gus' concepts that made Cam a force in college and we rode that to the Super Bowl. But our personnel deficiencies are too much. I wouldn't mind bringing Chudzinski back but I really hope the new guy is going to be someone who doesn't force Cam to be a pocket passer and tries to utilize his strengths.

I keep hearing Norv Turner and while he's a respected offensive mind, I don't know if he can be successful with a QB like Cam.

Would like to see them draft and maybe trade for a better o line. Their running game sucks and Cam has spent most of his time there running for his life, or getting cold cocked by the opposing D.

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Would like to see them draft and maybe trade for a better o line. Their running game sucks and Cam has spent most of his time there running for his life, or getting cold cocked by the opposing D.

Since Cam is a "running" QB the NFL has pretty much allowed open season on him by the defenders.....hit him late, hit him out of bounds, hit him high.....all of that is pretty much tolerated.   And since he's about 80% of the Panther offense, opponents know that beating up on Cam is the way to stifle the Panther offense.  

JMO but dumb of the NFL to allow one of their marque players to be abused in that manner while protecting the more conventional QBs.  Panthers are in a difficult position because he is not a pure passer and if they take his legs out of the offense, he will be nowhere near as effective.   Probably dodged a concussion in the last game....and expect NFL will investigate that some more. ....meanwhile, he's going to have a short career if this continues. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Since Cam is a "running" QB the NFL has pretty much allowed open season on him by the defenders.....hit him late, hit him out of bounds, hit him high.....all of that is pretty much tolerated.   And since he's about 80% of the Panther offense, opponents know that beating up on Cam is the way to stifle the Panther offense.  

JMO but dumb of the NFL to allow one of their marque players to be abused in that manner while protecting the more conventional QBs.  Panthers are in a difficult position because he is not a pure passer and if they take his legs out of the offense, he will be nowhere near as effective.   Probably dodged a concussion in the last game....and expect NFL will investigate that some more. ....meanwhile, he's going to have a short career if this continues. 

Yeah, and while we're at it,, let's trade away 2 of our 3 best receivers in Ted Ginn and K Benjamin; that didn't help at all.

10 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yeah, and while we're at it,, let's trade away 2 of our 3 best receivers in Ted Ginn and K Benjamin; that didn't help at all.

Well that I disagree with. Benjamin was injury prone and had weight problems..Injured his mcl or ACL with the Bills this season as well. Ted Ginn had the dropitis.

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Well that I disagree with. Benjamin was injury prone and had weight problems..Injured his mcl or ACL with the Bills this season as well. Ted Ginn had the dropitis.

Ginn didn't drop the 80 yard bomb against the Panthers Sunday.  Seriously, he did have issues with drops, but he can take the top off any defense. That's what the Panthers didn't have this year.  Cam can throw it a long way, but needs a receiver to go get it.  I think the rewards out weigh the risk with Ginn.

This was a good move by Carolina.  Hopefully they can find the right fit at OC to help Cam and the offense.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

keep hearing Norv Turner and while he's a respected offensive mind, I don't know if he can be successful with a QB like Cam.

I think it will be a horrible hire for Cam. 

53 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think it will be a horrible hire for Cam. 

JMO but whatever is a bad coaching hire for Cam is really a bad hire for the Panthers unless they are going to move in another direction which is hard to imagine

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

unless they are going to move in another direction which is hard to imagine

I have considered this and also find it hard to imagine. Supposedly Cam’s input was sought for the next OC, but not for the firing so I don’t know. 

I’m not sure what is going on in Rivera’s head to make such a stupid move, but whatever it was it wasn’t pieced together to help the current skill set. I read that last year Rivera was gushing over Norv’s offensive mind so maybe they’re friends. Maybe it’s best if Cam moves on. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I have considered this and also find it hard to imagine. Supposedly Cam’s input was sought for the next OC, but not for the firing so I don’t know. 

I’m not sure what is going on in Rivera’s head to make such a stupid move, but whatever it was it wasn’t pieced together to help the current skill set. I read that last year Rivera was gushing over Norv’s offensive mind so maybe they’re friends. Maybe it’s best if Cam moves on. 

Yep....lots going on there and the ownership change is not going to help.  Cam was Richardson's guy....took a special interest in him and encouraged him to be the face of the panthers.....all kinds of community service stuff.     Have to wonder where all of this is heading. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Ginn didn't drop the 80 yard bomb against the Panthers Sunday.  Seriously, he did have issues with drops, but he can take the top off any defense. That's what the Panthers didn't have this year.  Cam can throw it a long way, but needs a receiver to go get it.  I think the rewards out weigh the risk with Ginn.

Didn't seem that way while he was on the team...and I knew that he would show out in the saints game because that's usually how things go when a former player plays their former team. He had those moments sporadically with the Panthers.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It is the nfl version of the good ol boy system. Ron was Norv's dc in san diego. He is just looking out for a guy who hired him when he was fired as the bears dc and was looking for a job. Norv was once a offensive guru. Let's see with a much better QB in carolina than he had in minny when he last coached if he still has it.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Let's see with a much better QB in carolina than he had in minny when he last coached if he still has it.

His philosophy is too old school and has never been flexible and I have no faith in him working with Cam. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

His philosophy is too old school and has never been flexible and I have no faith in him working with Cam. 

Wasn't Phillip Rivers the QB for Norv back in the day in San Diego?    Did pretty well for him I think...hoping for the best...

That's the problem, you can't call a Phillip Rivers type of O for Cam. It will fail. We need a guy who has shown he can utilize the skills Cam brings to the table.

Honestly, I wouldn't even be mad at Chudzinski being re-hired if we are looking at Norv. At least Chud got Cam's passing game to take off -- of course he had Steve Smith instead of the worst WR unit in the league as it stands now.

I mean Brenton Bersin gets tons of playing time and I'd bet good money that his NFL days are over since Richardson is selling. 

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I always liked what he did with rivers and the chargers. That offense was a machine when he was there. Choked in the playoffs a lot but had a lot of great offensive seasons. It was a blast to watch. I guess I am a little optimistic in this one! haha

The Panthers need to looking at the GM more than the O.C. Any Qb not named Brady or Rodgers can not thrive with such lack of talent across the O..

Archived