Offense in 2018

jtauburntiger

2 hours ago, fishepa said:

Quite a pessimistic view of things but I agree on a couple of points.  I just hope he continues to progress as a coach and sees that adjustments need to be made.  Especially in regards to developing more of a passing game when our screens get shut down.  It's like we have no back up plan.

Gonna agree with you, but edit slightly. We never have a backup plan. If plan A doesn't work, there is no plan B.

We can talk about passing and passing on first down and we know we are a better passing team on 1st down rather then 3rd down.  But for me the biggest improvement we can make on offense is to actually make some big plays in the running game between the tackles.   Just look what the big plays in the run game did for the pass game in the win over MSU this year.  

• WarTiger changed the title to Offense in 2018
8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Before everyone trashes the coach for not changing his offense, here are some statistics (taken after the bowl game):

RUSHING OFFENSE
2013: 328.3 (1st, 1st)
2014: 255.5 (2nd, 13th)
2015: 196.4 (5th, 35th)
2016: 271.3 (1st, 6th)
2017: 218.3 (4th, 26th)

PASSING OFFENSE
2013: 173.0 (11th, 106th)
2014: 229.5 (7th, 66th)
2015: 173.6 (12th, 110th)
2016: 169.5 (14th, 112th
2017: 233.4 (5th, 65th)

TOTAL OFFENSE
2013: 501.3 (2nd, 11th)
2014: 485.0 (2nd, 16th)
2015: 370.0 (10th, 94th)
2016: 440.8 (6th, 43rd)
2017: 451.6 (3rd, 26th)

As you can see from the numbers, our rushing went down this year to even out with the passing, which jumped up.  I might add, the passing rankings were better than 2013 and 2014.  As a result, our scoring offense also went up.  This is all under a coordinator who has only been here a year.  Imagine what a second year would do.  Statistically, our defense is at our 2008 levels.  Trash Gus all you want, but he is fixing problem areas from years past.

Stats do not lie whatsoever. I agree that year 2 of CL as OC will see an even more balanced offense. We will have a few games that will make us pull our hair out, but over the course of the season, I think we will see a better offense. We could see the RB

position by committee more so than in any season with Gus. The spring game should be interesting no doubt.               

I have to agree Gus will continue to hamstring this offense. Regardless, it all comes down to the illustrious Herb Hand and the Offensive Line. They fail, we fail. Stidham is garbage when under pressure constantly.

Can we expect them to change the offense? For example in the peach bowl they had no problem with the playcalling just execution of the plays..Hopefully their hand will be forced in that they do change the offense for the better.

When the o-line is struggling, help them out throw quick passes, other than screens, we do have a TE somewhere. The game is about making adjustments to

help where you are struggling, you know the TEAM philosophy, When the opposing defense or offense makes their adjustments, you will have to adjust again.

So if execution is a problem with the o-line doing nothing to help them is not the answer, as was the case in the Peach Bowl. I don't expect them to change the

offense but be willing to make smart decisions on adjustments, like we go hurry up and send in subs, well then that allows the defense to sub, leave the same 

personnel in for a couple of downs not allowing the opposing team a chance to sub, do something that grabs momentum besides hurry up and wait maybe someone

will make a play, that's what coach's are for, making decisions that grab momentum, and we have a high paid one now! I will say it again, UCF d-line beats our O-line

and we give that coach an extension, WOW!

Archived