Jonathon wallace hired at bethel university

aubiefifty

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Former Auburn quarterback/wide receiver Jonathan Wallace has joined the coaching staff at Bethel University.

Wallace, who has served as an offensive graduate assistant at Auburn the last two seasons, announced the career move on Twitter on Tuesday afternoon, noting that it was "time for the next chapter." Wallace will serve as the wide receivers coach and director of football operations at Bethel, a small Presbyterian university in McKenzie, Tenn.

"I thank the Lord for the relationships, experiences, education, love, and support shown to me and my wife these past six years," Wallace posted. "The memories are imbedded in my life. I look forward to developing and ministering to the young men at (Bethel)."

Wallace has spent the last six years at Auburn, with the first four as a player. The Phenix City native started at quarterback the final four games of his freshman season in 2012 and set the school's freshman record for quarterback efficiency (139.60) during the Tigers' disastrous 3-9 campaign that year. Over the next three seasons, Wallace threw a combined five passes, and he did not record an offensive statistic during his senior season while splitting time at quarterback and receiver in 2015.

Wallace long expressed the desire to get into coaching after his playing career ended, and shortly after his senior season he joined Auburn's staff as a graduate assistant working with wide receivers.

"That's something I have always wanted to do ever since I started playing this game," Wallace said of coaching back in April 2015. "I think it's a great career. I have played football for a very long time and I know the game. I just want to give back to young people and help them and develop young men. That's something that coach (Gus) Malzahn and this entire coaching staff has inspired me a lot to want to do because they do a great job at it."

Wallace's wife, Ashley, works in Auburn's athletic department as football recruiting coordinator.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• WarTiger changed the title to Jonathon wallace hired at bethel university

Love, love, love this...love his remarks. So proud for him. Blessings and prayers, Jonathan and Ashley!! Thanks for posting, aubiefifty!

Archived