The most difficult schedule in 2018

gr82b4au

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

We will have to play extremely well to beat Washington. Like I said, they are favored to the pac 12 And they have one of the best quarterbacks in the country returning.And they have one of the best quarterbacks in the country returning.

Washington is going to have to play extremely well to beat Auburn.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cctiger said:

Not really the personnel that concerns me, it's the Jekyll/ Hyde thing that is hiding inside Gus' mind. It has a nasty way of appearing 2-3 times a year.....

32 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Personnel ain't the problem.

Hence the 'should'.

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus probably has a good idea who his QB will be and will announce that sometime in the summer.  The question is who he will start on the OL and at RB.  The combination of CHH and CGM deciding on these will continue until the LSU game.  I’m hoping Washington’s DT Veta Vea (#50, 6ft 5 and 340lbs) will turn pro, otherwise JS is going to get hurt.

Vea did declare for the NFL.

We need their RB to declare too.

There QB is really good...but if our front 7 can dominate again....then that will neutralize their QB I feel.

4 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Said this in another thread a few weeks back, but didn't get much response so I'll try again.

It is obvious to me that the big 3 in the SEC has become us, Bama, and UGA. We play both of them either 1 week or 2 weeks apart every year and if we win the West, we play them again one week after the Iron Bowl. Nobody in College Football runs a gauntlet of the 3 games we ran at the end of this year. I believe it would be in our best interest to try to move the UGA game from November to October and fill the UGA November slot with someone like Ole Miss, Arky, or Miss St., and then keep the cupcake game before the Iron Bowl. This would give us time to recoop from the UGA game and get ready for Bama, and then UGA the next week. Thoughts?

It works both ways though.  AU is also the only team in the country that can still be in the playoff picture with two losses going into UGA/bama.   I would still be in favor of moving it though.

Maybe we should just game plan better for SEC Champ game.

21 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Washington is going to have to play extremely well to beat Auburn.

Agreed... assuming 2 things. We can shore up our Offensive Line and successfully replace Davis and Matthews. 

5 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Said this in another thread a few weeks back, but didn't get much response so I'll try again.

It is obvious to me that the big 3 in the SEC has become us, Bama, and UGA. We play both of them either 1 week or 2 weeks apart every year and if we win the West, we play them again one week after the Iron Bowl. Nobody in College Football runs a gauntlet of the 3 games we ran at the end of this year. I believe it would be in our best interest to try to move the UGA game from November to October and fill the UGA November slot with someone like Ole Miss, Arky, or Miss St., and then keep the cupcake game before the Iron Bowl. This would give us time to recoop from the UGA game and get ready for Bama, and then UGA the next week. Thoughts?

Amen...Bama game even though AU won took a lot out of the team from a physical standpoint. 

The hard teams are still tough to beat but the middling to bottom feeder teams are all replacing coaches. Schedule could’ve been harder. 

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

LSU too.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-18/2018-lsu-tigers-football-schedule.php

I fear O will be canned and they’ll go after someone like Kiffin. He’s someone who I’d love us to hire if Gus doesn’t work out. So seeing him at LSU = ugh.

I think LSU will go 8-4 and win their bowl game just enough to keep coah "O" around a few more years.  They will lose to Auburn, bammer, Uga, and either Miami or TAMU. The following year will see coach O out the door. If Gus goes 7-5 next year and 6-6 the following, we will be looking for a new HC. I do think 9-3 is likely for us in 18. I think all in all, the SEC had a major upgrade in coaching this off season that is going to make both divisions a lot tougher than in 17.

7 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

2017 was the first time this scenario has happened............. The SEC Championship has been played since 1992..... So from 1992-2016 this scenario somehow never happened. 

I think it's ridiculous that several on here are so worked up about this issue when this was the first time it's ever happened that we had to play UGA in the SEC Championship game.. Besides, we usually have to have a really good team in order to beat both Georgia and Alabama in the same season. We've only beaten both UGA and Bama in the same season 9 times since 1990. And in most of those seasons when we beat both of them, at least one of them was having a down year. 

1993: UGA finished 5-6

1995: UGA finished 6-6

1997: Alabama finished 4-7

2000: Alabama finished 3-8

2004: Alabama finished 6-6

2010: UGA finished 6-7

2013: UGA finished 8-5

To break it down even further, we've only beaten a 10+ win UGA team and a 10+ win Alabama team in the same season 2 times............  2005 and 2017 are the only times we've beaten both our rivals when they both finished with 10+ wins.

And people on here will still complain about the schedule even if we move the regular season UGA game to October because we'd still have to play UGA again the week after the Iron Bowl. It was the Iron Bowl when Kerryon got hurt. If one our star players get hurt in the Iron Bowl it's not going to matter if our 1st game against UGA is in September or October because we'd still have to play them again in the SEC Championship  and potentially be without one of our star players because of an injury suffered in the Iron Bowl.

Edit: Flame away................ I just don't see this as an important issue that needs to be fixed.

9 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

2017 was the first time this scenario has happened............. The SEC Championship has been played since 1992..... So from 1992-2016 this scenario somehow never happened. 

I think it's ridiculous that several on here are so worked up about this issue when this was the first time it's ever happened that we had to play UGA in the SEC Championship game.. Besides, we usually have to have a really good team in order to beat both Georgia and Alabama in the same season. We've only beaten both UGA and Bama in the same season 9 times since 1990. And in most of those seasons when we beat both of them, at least one of them was having a down year. 

To break it down even further, we've only beaten a 10+ win UGA team and a 10+ win Alabama team in the same season 2 times............  2005 and 2017 are the only times we've beaten both our rivals when they both finished with 10+ wins.

And people on here will still complain about the schedule even if we move the regular season UGA game to October because we'd still have to play UGA again the week after the Iron Bowl. It was the Iron Bowl when Kerryon got hurt. If one our star players get hurt in the Iron Bowl it's not going to matter if our 1st game against UGA is in September or October because we'd still have to play them again in the SEC Championship  and potentially be without one of our star players because of an injury suffered in the Iron Bowl.

Edit: Flame away................ I just don't see this as an important issue that needs to be fixed.

Good stuff man. People forget the UGA teams prior to this year were average to average at best.

Also, I forgot to add that why do people think we jumped up to #2 in the playoff rankings after we beat both UGA and Alabama despite having 2 losses? It's because we played both teams within 2 weeks of each other and both UGA and Alabama were #1 at the time.

If we move the UGA game to earlier in the season, UGA is likely not going to be ranked #1 when we play them in September or October. 

For example if we move the UGA game to the first week of October and applied that to the 2017 season, that means UGA would have been #5 instead of #1. On top of that, our win over a #5 UGA in the first week of October would have been offset by a loss to LSU the next week.  Any jump in the rankings we would have gotten for beating #5 UGA wouldn't have mattered because we would have dropped right back down for losing to LSU.

27 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

We will not beat both teams every year and could have years we beat one and lose to the other.  We have shown we can do this, but it will be hard to do so every season. No one in the SEC has beaten the turds except OM and that will not happen again for a long time. The thing I am trying to get across is that yes, we will win these games likely more so in the future than most other teams in the SEC. Both UGA and bammer will lose a lot of players to the NFL and the ending of eligibility (a few might actually graduate!) This goes for both teams. LSU will also lose a lot of players as well. I think we could hold our own next year with the talent we have coming back and coming in through new recruiting class. It will be interesting no doubt.

11 hours ago, TigerOne said:

think Gus will start preparing before the Washington game or just use and existing gameplan?

Lets see if we can name a starting QB before September.

I don't think I've seen a sign of us preparing for a specific team in the last few years unfortunately...

20 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Also, I forgot to add that why do people think we jumped up to #2 in the playoff rankings after we beat both UGA and Alabama despite having 2 losses? It's because we played both teams within 2 weeks of each other and both UGA and Alabama were #1 at the time.

If we move the UGA game to earlier in the season, UGA is likely not going to be ranked #1 when we play them in September or October. 

For example if we move the UGA game to the first week of October and applied that to the 2017 season, that means UGA would have been #5 instead of #1. On top of that, our win over a #5 UGA in the first week of October would have been offset by a loss to LSU the next week. Any jump in the rankings we would have gotten for beating #5 UGA wouldn't have mattered because we would have dropped right back down for losing to LSU.

To illustrate my point:

2017 Auburn schedule

Sep 2 - Ga. Southern - W 41-7
Sep 9 - Clemson - L 14-6
Sep 16 - Mercer - W 24-10
Sep 23 - Missouri - W 51-10
Sep 30 - Miss St - W 49-10
Oct 7 - UGA - W - 40-17
Oct 14 - LSU - L 27-23
Oct 21 - Arkansas - W 52-20
Nov 4 - Texas A&M - W 42-27
Nov 11 - Ole Miss - W  44-23
Nov 18 - La. Monroe - W 42-14
Nov 25 - Alabama - W 26-14

If we swapped UGA and Ole Miss on the schedule we likely would not have gotten as much of a bump in the rankings at the end of year for beating both Alabama and UGA because UGA was #5 on Oct. 7....... We would have lost to LSU immediately after beating #5 UGA and dropped right back down in rankings if our schedule had been set up that way.

3 hours ago, MexicanBurtReynolds said:

It works both ways though.  AU is also the only team in the country that can still be in the playoff picture with two losses going into UGA/bama.   I would still be in favor of moving it though.

Can't count on that every year.

13 hours ago, MexicanBurtReynolds said:

I think there is a better chance of us moving the game than Gus game planning better.:-\

Washington will have a much better coached team than we will.  I think we have more players but they have the best coach in the country and a great QB. I look for it to go about like UCF.  

11 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Wasn't flaming. That's why I prefaced my post with the phrase "The big 3 has become us, Bama, and UGA".  I'm not talking about Vince Dooley's or Mark Richt's GA teams from the past. Kirby has brought the dawgs into Nat'l prominence in two years, and doesn't show signs of letting up anytime soon by having the #1 qb and #1 recruiting class. I see the scenario that happened this year happening again very soon. Trying to be proactive here. 

11 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Boom!  We cannot complain about the schedule when it was tbe schedule that allowed us to jump to #2 despite already having two losses.

18 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

UGA would never agree to this and if we were in their shoes we wouldn't either. Add bammer to the list of team not liking it. The only solution I see is for the SEC to allow teams an off week before the championship game. That would give everybody an even break.

21 hours ago, TigerOne said:

think Gus will start preparing before the Washington game or just use and existing gameplan?

Lets see if we can name a starting QB before September.

In case you missed the news, Stidham isn't going pro. Starting QB is already settled.

55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

UGA would never agree to this and if we were in their shoes we wouldn't either. Add bammer to the list of team not liking it. The only solution I see is for the SEC to allow teams an off week before the championship game. That would give everybody an even break.

That would help, but would the NCAA go for it considering they may want to lock all their New Years Day bowls after Conference Championship weekend?

15 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

No flame, but I think the biggest issue people have is that, after the addition of Missouri and A&M, we now have to play Georgia at Georgia, bama at bama, and the potentially Georgia at Atlanta (which is basically a home game for them), every other year, all in a matter of 4 weeks at the end of a brutal schedule. I, for one, am all for moving Georgia to earlier in the season.

Can we volunteer to play UGA in Athens again in 2019 so we don't double up home or away games to end the season? Would also sweeten the home slate on those years. 

Archived