The most difficult schedule in 2018

gr82b4au

4 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Washington will have a much better coached team than we will.  I think we have more players but they have the best coach in the country and a great QB. I look for it to go about like UCF.  

Are you serious? He is a good coach, but the best coach in the country?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being in the SEC West with uga as our constant East opponent, we will always have one of the toughest schedules in the league.   I’m ok with scheduling 2 midmajors and 2 cupcakes as our OOC games.  No need to play Top 10 OOC games.  JMHO.  

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Being in the SEC West with uga as our constant East opponent, we will always have one of the toughest schedules in the league.   I’m ok with scheduling 2 midmajors and 2 cupcakes as our OOC games.  No need to play Top 10 OOC games.  JMHO.  

After hearing everyone tell me that it’s okay for UCF to be in the playoff despite their powderpuff football schedule, I hope we never play another hard OOC game again. Playing Georgia and Bama and LSU and others within the conference will do enough to strengthen our schedules for a playoff run. 

Tell tbe others that expect UCF to be in despite playing nobody and that expect the SEC to add an extra conference game to kick rocks. 

45 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

After hearing everyone tell me that it’s okay for UCF to be in the playoff despite their powderpuff football schedule, I hope we never play another hard OOC game again. Playing Georgia and Bama and LSU and others within the conference will do enough to strengthen our schedules for a playoff run. 

Tell tbe others that expects UCF to be in despite playing nobody and that expects the SEC to add an extra conference game to kick rocks. 

Too late. Remember a few years ago when everyone was begging for us to play as many big OOC games as possible? Welp, that’s one time JJ actusllly listened to the fan base.

Hopefully Cristobal does mediocre at Oregon—at least the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

This is a double edge sword argument . I agree with you to an extent but without that tough schedule, we aren’t in prime position to be in the playoffs as a 2 loss team. The issue wasn’t the loss to UGA. The issue was losing to LSU. Had we not loss to LSU and only Loss to UGA in the SEC championship game, we would be in the playoffs . You get rid of the tough OOC game and you absolutely have to win the SEC, if you are an UGA or Auburn. Alabama got in because of their talent and quite frankly their reputation . Not exactly them being in the SEC. 

Another thing is, we have no clue how good UGA will be. Maybe they will keep the momentum up. Maybe they will take a step back due to their overall losses on their roster. I don't know. What I do know is some of this is short sightedness reactions. The assumption is UGA is about to become Bama like which may or may not be the case. They could easily just be Auburn like. Have a great team every 2-3 years with a good team the other years. Quite frankly, prior to this year the UGA of the last 3 years were not all that. Add to the fact that I believe the SEC east will be more competitive could change things.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Had we not loss to LSU and only Los to UGA in the SEC championship game, we would be in the playoffs

You replace playing Clemson with a mid major team, and we are still in thick of the race as well. Losing a close one to Clemson didn’t benefit us much if any at all. All it did was add another loss to our record. The  UGA and Bama wins are what shot us up to two.

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You replace playing Clemson with a mid major team, and we are still in thick of the race as well. Losing a close one to Clemson didn’t benefit us much if any at all. All it did was add another loss to our record. 

I agree with you. I definitely believe we would still have a good argument to be in. I think we still would’ve had to deal with Bama for two reasons. 1 is the bad loss to LSU, only because it gives us two losses now and Bama defeated LSU. Another thing is perception . The perception was, even though we beat those teams handily, we were at home. The pundits were already saying nobody would’ve beaten us at Jordan-Hare. We”re we the same team on a neutral field? Now it gets super subjective and I don’t trust the committee when it comes to that. If our two losses were against Clemson and UGA, at the very least we have a strong argument that we beat everyone we should’ve beaten, we beat two top 6 teams at the very least and our two losses were against two top four teams. That would be much more hard to argue against. Just my opinion. I am not saying you guys are wrong at all. I am simply saying if we do go that route, Gus cannot lose a game he is suppose to win. He just can’t .

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is a double edge sword argument . I agree with you to an extent but without that tough schedule, we aren’t in prime position to be in the playoffs as a 2 loss team. The issue wasn’t the loss to UGA. The issue is was losing to LSU. Had we not loss to LSU and only Los to UGA in the SEC championship game, we would be in the playoffs . You get rid of the tough OOC game and you absolutely have to win the SEC, if you are an UGA or Auburn. Alabama got in because of their talent and quite frankly their reputation . Not exactly them being in the SEC. 

Another thing is, we have no clue how good UGA will be. Maybe they will keep the momentum up. Maybe they will take a step back due to their overall losses on their roster. I don't know. What I do know is some of this is short sightedness reactions. The assumption is UGA is about to become Bama like which may or may not be the case. They could easily just be Auburn like. Have a great team every 2-3 years with a good team the other years. Quite frankly, prior to this year the UGA of the last 3 years were not all that. Add to the fact that I believe the SEC east will be more competitive could change things.

The playoff committee basically said this year that you’re not getting in the playoffs if you lose two games.  If this wasn’t the case, tOSU would have been selected being a conference champion. The committee would have not a choice to put in Auburn if we had won the SECCG, but alas, the first 2 lose team will have to wait for either a year like we had by a team or an 8 team playoff.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

The playoff committee basically said this year that you’re not getting in the playoffs if you lose two games.  If this wasn’t the case, tOSU would have been selected being a conference champion. The committee would have not a choice to put in Auburn if we had won the SECCG, but alas, the first 2 lose team will have to wait for either a year like we had by a team or an 8 team playoff.

Maybe. I think Auburn would’ve had as good of argument as any two loss team if their only losses was to Clemson and UGA in the SEC championship game. Both playoff teams. It would’ve been hard for Bama to leapfrog that.

Also , how did I get a facepalm on my opinion on the matter? Lol. That is just silly. It’s fact that having one of the toughest schedules gave us a mulligan. Come on now . That was one of the knocks on Bama. They got in because they are Bama. Hypothetically, if it was Mississippi state with 1 loss and their only loss was to us. They aren’t getting in over tOSU.

Just now, DAG said:

Also , how did I get a facepalm on my opinion on the matter? Lol. That is just silly. It’s fact that having one of the toughest schedules gave us a mulligan. Come on now 

The only team that received a mulligan was Georgia.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The only team that received a mulligan was Georgia.

UGA won the SEC championship with 1 loss to a quality opponent? How were they not going to get in? 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

UGA won the SEC championship with 1 loss? How were they not going to get in? 

That’s neither here nor there. A mulligan is basically a do-over. Auburn never received a mulligan.

54 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Too late. Remember a few years ago when everyone was begging for us to play as many big OOC games as possible? Welp, that’s one time JJ actusllly listened to the fan base.

Hopefully Cristobal does mediocre at Oregon—at least the next couple of years.

I remember those days. The wind against the sails have definitely changed course since the inception of tbe CFP. I guess it was more exclusive having only two teams in the BCS so the OOC games reallly had to matter to pick tbe best two.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s neither here nor there. A mulligan is basically a do-over. Auburn never received a mulligan.

We did receive “a do over.” Our do over was we had to win out. Losing to LSU did not absolve us from being in the playoffs if we won out. The same was for UGA. They could not lose another game. For example, if they had loss to us and then loss to Georgia tech, they aren’t just waltzing into the Playoffs by beating us in the SEC Championship game. I am speaking about 2 loss teams making it into the playoffs. Not just about playing a team again for the second time. This was already a known fact since the beginning of time. If UGA and AU is very good, they potentially can face each other twice . If Tennessee is very good and Alabama is very good, there is a potential they can face each other again in the SEC championship game. The only difference is this year, UGA actually lived up to expectations.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I remember those days. The wind against the sails have definitely changed course since the inception of tbe CFP. I guess it was more exclusive having only two teams in the BCS so the OOC games reallly had to matter to pick tbe best two.

It mainly had to do with people hung up over 2004. True our OOC schedule that year was atrocious but the SEC was very down that year. We would’ve gotten a bit more goodwill in that regard had Tennessee not lost to a weak Notre Dame team. Thanks Phil. :/

Pretty simple. Win the games you are suppose to win and you don’t have to whine about having to beat UGA twice and Bama once , although , I think you need to put your big boy pants up and deal with it.

One thing about a softer schedule that you have to keep in mind is that it benefits you later in the season when you're playing that tough conference schedule. 

Several of us pointed out that Tua had WAY more reps, passes and touchdowns than Willis did, and was therefore ready when he got the call in the championship game. A lot of people correctly pointed out in return that he was able to get those reps because of bama's soft schedule. Without getting into my thoughts on to what extent Gus should have been able to do the same, bama was able to build depth and rest starters throughout the season. We saw this in action with our own defense this season. (Not to mention repping the young guys *last* season was invaluable for us *this* season, but I see that as a collateral benefit and not a goal.) 

TL;DR- With a softer schedule, we might've been better prepared for the SECCG and, had we won it, who knows what would've happened in the playoffs. And this holds true in any season. 

(And if Gus really does require a bad loss every season to snap out of whatever idiot spell he falls under, then we need a new coach. But I don't put stock in that theory.)

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One thing about a softer schedule that you have to keep in mind is that it benefits you later in the season when you're playing that tough conference schedule. 

Several of us pointed out that Tua had WAY more reps, passes and touchdowns than Willis did, and was therefore ready when he got the call in the championship game. A lot of people correctly pointed out in return that he was able to get those reps because of bama's soft schedule. Without getting into my thoughts on to what extent Gus should have been able to do the same, bama was able to build depth and rest starters throughout the season. We saw this in action with our own defense this season. (Not to mention repping the young guys *last* season was invaluable for us *this* season, but I see that as a collateral benefit and not a goal.) 

TL;DR- With a softer schedule, we might've been better prepared for the SECCG and, had we won it, who knows what would've happened in the playoffs. And this holds true in any season. 

(And if Gus really does require a bad loss every season to snap out of whatever idiot spell he falls under, then we need a new coach. But I don't put stock in that theory.)

Great point McLoofus! Now, 7 million dollar question ...do you think Gus would’ve given MW those reps ? Haha

Just remember, any team can look solid on paper and still have a 6-6 season. Sometimes it's us, sometimes the other team.

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe. I think Auburn would’ve had as good of argument as any two loss team if their only losses was to Clemson and UGA in the SEC championship game. Both playoff teams. It would’ve been hard for Bama to leapfrog that.

The dumbest thing I heard all season was people saying after the IB that the LSU loss didn't matter. Christ, Gus was so bad at his job that day and it was so bad for the program. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Great point McLoofus! Now, 7 million dollar question ...do you think Gus would’ve given MW those reps ? Haha

I'm'a be a good boy for once, my man. :-X

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Expanding on this, I think that what every Power-5 team should do is stop scheduling FCS teams, but instead schedule 3 mid-majors, each from a different conference, and one Power-5. It'll suck for the FCS teams, because they will lose their big pay-days (something else would have to be worked out), but by scheduling the mid-major teams so they are all playing Power-5 non conference games, people, and the committee, really will get a better picture of how good they might be. You have to keep the one Power-5 non-conference game so there are examples of how the conferences stack up to each other.

Of course, I haven't done the math to see how hard it would be to make this work from a scheduling perspective.

Archived