The most difficult schedule in 2018

gr82b4au

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The dumbest thing I heard all season was people saying after the IB that the LSU loss didn't matter. Christ, Gus was so bad at his job that day and it was so bad for the program. 

Agreed that Gus was bad at his job that day, but I think it was good for the program in the long run. I think it was a serious wake-up call to him that his tendency to try to hold a lead instead of keeping the pedal down does not work. I HOPE it was enough of one that he won't ever take his foot off the gas like that again. 

Incidentally, I think it was also a good wake-up call to the players and other coaches to have swagger, but not get over-confident.  Hopefully that will stick as well.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The dumbest thing I heard all season was people saying after the IB that the LSU loss didn't matter. Christ, Gus was so bad at his job that day and it was so bad for the program. 

I just think some of our fan base is so reactionary . I specifically remember being distraught about this loss. Not only because of the loss but due to the implications of 2 losses and now having to face UGA and BAMA now. I specifically remember some of the same individuals complaining now , saying how overrated UGA was and how their win at Southbend really didn’t mean a lot. Only exacerbated after our win against them in November. Funny how perception changes just like that. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Expanding on this, I think that what every Power-5 team should do is stop scheduling FCS teams, but instead schedule 3 mid-majors, each from a different conference, and one Power-5. It'll suck for the FCS teams, because they will lose their big pay-days (something else would have to be worked out), but by scheduling the mid-major teams so they are all playing Power-5 non conference games, people, and the committee, really will get a better picture of how good they might be. You have to keep the one Power-5 non-conference game so there are examples of how the conferences stack up to each other.

Of course, I haven't done the math to see how hard it would be to make this work from a scheduling perspective.

Well, 130 teams in FBS with roughly half of those being P5. I think that would mean that every mid-major would have 3 P5 games on their schedule, on average. That might be the sticking point. They might not want that. I have no idea about the nuts and bolts of it, though.

In my perfect world, it would be a P5 bottom feeder and either 2 mid-majors or a mid-major and an FCS team. At least until the SEC softens up a little. But Jimbo to TAMU has me shook. If kirby really is on the ascent at uga, we're right back to 3 top-10 teams on our conference schedule every. single. year. Our schedule is too hard. It just is. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Well, 130 teams in FBS with roughly half of those being P5. I think that would mean that every mid-major would have 3 P5 games on their schedule, on average. That might be the sticking point. They might not want that. I have no idea about the nuts and bolts of it, though.

I'm sure they wouldn't, but if they want to compete for the big prizes, they have to suck it up and show they deserve it.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In my perfect world, it would be a P5 bottom feeder and either 2 mid-majors or a mid-major and an FCS team. At least until the SEC softens up a little. But Jimbo to TAMU has me shook. If kirby really is on the ascent at uga, we're right back to 3 top-10 teams on our conference schedule every. single. year. 

I'm with you, brother. A coach with his record (both on and off the field), with unlimited money scares the crap out of me. I see another bama/REC forming, if the school doesn't force him to take the high road, and even if they do, they will still be challenge most years. Maybe Texas will get their crap together and at least help us from a recruiting standpoint.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Our schedule is too hard. It just is. 

Preach it brother. We deserve far more respect when we own it.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Expanding on this, I think that what every Power-5 team should do is stop scheduling FCS teams, but instead schedule 3 mid-majors, each from a different conference, and one Power-5. It'll suck for the FCS teams, because they will lose their big pay-days (something else would have to be worked out), but by scheduling the mid-major teams so they are all playing Power-5 non conference games, people, and the committee, really will get a better picture of how good they might be. You have to keep the one Power-5 non-conference game so there are examples of how the conferences stack up to each other.

Of course, I haven't done the math to see how hard it would be to make this work from a scheduling perspective.

Funny, we had this same conversation back in the summer and you disagreed vehemently.  I see you've changed your mind.  Now you sound like me.  :cheers:

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In my perfect world, it would be a P5 bottom feeder and either 2 mid-majors or a mid-major and an FCS team. At least until the SEC softens up a little. But Jimbo to TAMU has me shook. If kirby really is on the ascent at uga, we're right back to 3 top-10 teams on our conference schedule every. single. year. Our schedule is too hard. It just is. 

I agree we have a very hard schedule. I know I am going to have to clarify my statement for some people. I am not saying our schedule isn’t very hard . I am saying there is a pro and con too both and I hope our fan base gets that ( I know you do loof).

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Agreed that Gus was bad at his job that day, but I think it was good for the program in the long run. I think it was a serious wake-up call to him that his tendency to try to hold a lead instead of keeping the pedal down does not work. I HOPE it was enough of one that he won't ever take his foot off the gas like that again. 

Incidentally, I think it was also a good wake-up call to the players and other coaches to have swagger, but not get over-confident.  Hopefully that will stick as well.

One can only hope that Gus now knows this deep down in the fiber of his being; that the thought is as natural and instinctive for him as breathing, as it should be for any CFB coach with championship aspirations. That mentality would have made this past season's schedule a LOT more manageable IMO. 

Sorry. Last of the sour grapes from me in this thread. Good conversation. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Not a bad idea for a mid-major to do just that.

What do they lose by losing to a P5 team?  Nothing really, since it's OOC for them.  But, they win 2 outta 3, or actually pull off a 3-fer (and make at least 1 of them a "power") then they might have something to back up their claim that they deserve to be considered.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

How we lost to LSU sucked and the fact that the loss helped us miss the playoffs (by adding another L) sucked as well. I wouldn’t call tbe LSU loss a bad loss though. Losing to a 7-5 IOWA team by thirty is a bad loss and a loss that the committee will never forget. Losing to a 9 win LSU squad isn’t as bad. If LSU continued to slide after beating Auburn, that’s when the committee would hold the loss against Auburn. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree we have a very hard schedule. I know I am going to have to clarify my statement for some people. I am not saying how schedule isn’t very hard . I am saying their is a pro and con too both and I hope our fan base gets that ( I know you do loof).

Auburn already has the toughest schedule, that's why I fail to understand folks wanting to add another SEC reg season game + the SECCG + 3 playoff games in a row. 

My God, we haven't even been able to make it into the CFP yet and folks want to make it tougher to get there?:dead:

Just now, keesler said:

Auburn already has the toughest schedule, that's why I fail to understand folks wanting to add another SEC reg season game + the SECCG + 3 playoff games in a row. 

My God, we haven't even been able to make it into the CFP yet and folks want to make it tougher to get there?:dead:

Haha that’s our own inconsistency unfortunately . That is my worry even with a soft schedule , but I completely get your point.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Can we stipulate that the extra game is always Vanderbilt?

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Or Virginia? I remember in our bowl game against them that our whole squad looked three steps faster than them.

Nvmd- I see the “extra” word indicating extra SEC game. Virginia is a perfect school to add that will check the boxes without the schedule getting any tougher.

Here should be the teams I would play

Obviously we start with the group of teams we have to play (7 games)

Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State - those are our division opponents and our mandatory rivalry game against Georgia (which if we're going to continue the SEC championship game I'd be fine with not playing them).

Then I would add two tough out of conference games from close conferences (2 games, 9 total) -or- use one of these games to play teams we've never played

Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Louisville, Miami, NC State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, West Virginia - Pick two from this group 1 that should ideally be a tough matchup and the other a relatively easy one so, for example, Miami and Iowa State.

Bring back the Georgia Tech rivalry game which we should be able to control (1 game, 10 total)

Then two cupcake Division 1 teams ideally from in-state to keep the money in Alabama or at least in states important to our recruiting (2 games, 12 total)

UAB, Troy, University of South Alabama, Tulane, Tulsa, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe

I don't see a reason we have to or should play two teams from the SEC East I would limit the possibility of being in a scenario where you have to play any of the same teams twice. If we're going to keep playing two cross division opponents we will obviously play Georgia but I'd like to see more variety in who play as well. We see Florida so little they haven't beaten us in 16 years! For perspective, our incoming freshman would have been 2-3 years old in 2002. 

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

What do they lose by losing to a P5 team?  Nothing really, since it's OOC for them.  But, they win 2 outta 3, or actually pull off a 3-fer (and make at least 1 of them a "power") then they might have something to back up their claim that they deserve to be considered.

You and @lionheartkc might be right that it's a net win for them. Or at least some of them. I really have no idea. But I'm still talking. Why am I still talking? I'l stop talking. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It would be nice but Auburn has zero pull in the SEC.

Why would Vandy agree to take on AU annually?

To the notion that AU should move East.....Why would Mizzou agree to move to the snake pit of the West when they've actually won the East twice?

To the idea that the DSOR move to October.....Why would UGA agree to play us in October when they have to face UT & UF in the same month?

When you have zero pull in your conference then you would have to hope to gain a mutual agreement with the opposite team that would be affected by a change, and that's not happening.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

To the notion that AU should move East.....Why would Mizzou agree to move to the snake pit of the West when they've actually won the East twice?

To the idea that the DSOR move to October.....Why would UGA agree to play us in October when they have to face UT & UF in the same month?

When you have zero pull in your conference then you would have to hope to gain a mutual agreement with the opposite team that would be affected by a change, and that's not happening.

Pretty sure that was a joke...

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I’ve said a couple times that if Houston was to win out a couple years ago, they would’ve definitely been in the playoffs and they are a G5 school. Then again, they had Oklahoma, Louisville, and Memphis on the schedule. That type of schedule is worthy of playoff consideration if the team can win out.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

After hearing everyone tell me that it’s okay for UCF to be in the playoff despite their powderpuff football schedule, I hope we never play another hard OOC game again. Playing Georgia and Bama and LSU and others within the conference will do enough to strengthen our schedules for a playoff run. 

Tell tbe others that expect UCF to be in despite playing nobody and that expect the SEC to add an extra conference game to kick rocks. 

This is the ideal schedule IMHO. 

Week 1:  Cupcake.  This gives our guys the real game experience without any real danger of losing the game. Try some stuff out, hopefully find our identity, etc. 

Week 2:  Legit mid-major.  (The tougher of the two) This can give us a pretty good idea of what we thought after week 1 is gonna work or not. If not, we can make adjustments before we play any SEC games. 

Week 3: One of the MS schools.  A good “test the waters” SEC game.  

Week 4:  Boss game #1 (A&M or LSwho)

Week 5: 2nd mid-major (the “easier” of the two)

Then week 11 the other cupcake game between uga and bama. 

What do you guys think?

27 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’ve said a couple times that if Houston was to win out a couple years ago, they would’ve definitely been in the playoffs and they are a G5 school. Then again, they had Oklahoma, Louisville, and Memphis on the schedule. That type of schedule is worthy of playoff consideration if the team can win out.

I'm sure more than a few schools in each P5 conference (especially B10) would be proud to prop up W's against those 3 as their "best" wins.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Thanks for the detailed response... I was joking. Teach me not to use an emoji :)

Oh... and you're right about all of that.

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

This is the ideal schedule IMHO. 

Week 1:  Cupcake.  This gives our guys the real game experience without any real danger of losing the game. Try some stuff out, hopefully find our identity, etc. 

Week 2:  Legit mid-major.  (The tougher of the two) This can give us a pretty good idea of what we thought after week 1 is gonna work or not. If not, we can make adjustments before we play any SEC games. 

Week 3: One of the MS schools.  A good “test the waters” SEC game.  

Week 4:  Boss game #1 (A&M or LSwho)

Week 5: 2nd mid-major (the “easier” of the two)

Then week 11 the other cupcake game between uga and bama. 

What do you guys think?

Seems like a good plan (not withstanding @keesler point that we have no pull, so we have very little control over our SEC slate). I would just add that both cupcakes could still be mid-majors.  Heck one cupcake could be a Power-5... Kansas, anyone?

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Pretty sure that was a joke...

My bad...  

Hey, lionheartkc throws some off the wall stuff out on this board.  There have been way too many times that  I thought he was joking only to find out he was serious as hell. Some of his defenses of CGM over the last 3-4 years have really blurred the line between witticism and seriousness. 

Guess I'll put this here

Quote:

Washington opening season game just got much tougher

While Auburn lost both Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway early to the NFL, Washington found out Sunday night that star running back Myles Gaskin will return for the 2018 season. If you are unfamiliar with the Husky running back, best get used to the name now, you’ll be hearing it plenty this offseason.

Gaskin has rushed for at least 1,300 yards in each of his three collegiate seasons, going for a combined 4,055 yards so far in his career. He’s scored 44 touchdowns on the ground and another four thru the air. While Jake Browning may get more publicity, the Washington offense clearly runs thru Gaskin. If Auburn has any hopes of winning the Week 1 game, they’ll have to limit Washington’s explosive back.

The key to winning the first couple of games will be Tega, Horton, Harrell, Brahms, and Ashley spending all off-season together - working out, practicing, playing chess, singing and holding hands, youth camp, .......  whatever it takes. 

Archived