Toyota and Mazda Building Plants in Alabama

autigeremt

Over 4,000 jobs at an average salary of $50,000 per job annually.

Great news for my wonderful home state. It's nice to see business like this think more of our state than some here.  Largely a result of us being a right to work state without the thumb of unions. And Trump cutting regulations didn't hurt.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2018/01/trump_celebrates_toyota-mazda.html#incart_big-photo

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Great news for my wonderful home state. It's nice to see business like this think more of our state than some here.  Largely a result of us being a right to work state without the thumb of unions. And Trump cutting regulations didn't hurt.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2018/01/trump_celebrates_toyota-mazda.html#incart_big-photo

Which regulations did Trump cut that had an impact on this decision?

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Which regulations did Trump cut that had an impact on this decision?

Toyota forces more environmental regulations on itself than the federal or local governments ever do. This is in no way related to anything the stable genius did. Hell he didn’t even know Toyota manufacturers here a couple months ago. 

12 hours ago, alexava said:

Gotta figure out traffic. 

Really, that is all you have to say is that you are worried about traffic? <smdh>

It may be "thanks Trump" or "thanks Obama" or "thanks Doug Jones for not losing to the rodeo clown".  Either way it's great news that more Alabama families will be able to find work.  

I find the idea that who won the recent senate race had an effect on this is weird to say the least. Who is in the Governor's office and their actions should have had a effect. Local leaders and availability of a skilled workforce definitely had an effect. The outcome of a loser vs. loser non scheduled election having an effect doesn't make sense.

16 hours ago, AUDub said:

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I find the idea that who won the recent senate race had an effect on this is weird to say the least. Who is in the Governor's office and their actions should have had a effect. Local leaders and availability of a skilled workforce definitely had an effect. The outcome of a loser vs. loser non scheduled election having an effect doesn't make sense.

PayPal pulled out of a plan to expand their business into North Carolina, which would have brought about 400 jobs to the Charlotte area, all over that LBGT law the NC legislature passed in 2016.  I would not put it past any company to opt for a different location if AL voters had put a man accused of sexual assault into office, not to mention his stance on LBGT issues.  How much of a factor it was, I doubt we'll ever know for sure.  But to say it's not a realistic possibility would be to fail to pay attention to events on the ground culturally.

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Really, that is all you have to say is that you are worried about traffic? <smdh>

That seems like a legit concern to me, expecially if one lives in the area.

4 hours ago, HVAU said:

It may be "thanks Trump" or "thanks Obama" or "thanks Doug Jones for not losing to the rodeo clown".  Either way it's great news that more Alabama families will be able to find work.  

A lot of people in business are saying that Moore's loss had very positive influence on the decision. 

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That seems like a legit concern to me, especially if one lives in the area.

homey, quit being a contrarian. If you are worried over a temporary, at worst, traffic issue when there are about be 4K new jobs and likely another 4-8K more supporting jobs in the area, you are missing the whole point. This is great news for the area. I just dont understand how some folks cant support really good news like this. Other parts of the US would kill have to have a temporary traffic issue. 

You do know that new roads can be built and older ones widened right?

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

homey, quit being a contrarian. If you are worried over a temporary, at worst, traffic issue when there are about be 4K new jobs and likely another 4-8K more supporting jobs in the area, you are missing the whole point. This is great news for the area. I just dont understand how some folks cant support really good news like this. Other parts of the US would kill have to have a temporary traffic issue. 

Who is not supporting this news? 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Who is not supporting this news? 

People worried about this Mother of All Traffic Issues in Athens when they build the plant.

Got a plan, before we build the plant, build some roads. sheesh...

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

People worried about this Mother of All Traffic Issues in Athens when they build the plant.

You sure are crotchety today. You sound like a Republican. 

36 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

It's a legit concern.  You do know that new roads have to be paid for, right?

It goes to the issue of how much of a subsidy does a state offer to a company regarding infrastructure.  Everyone pays taxes, even those who don't get jobs with the new company.  It's not being a contrarian to bring it up.  It's sensible.

I agree it's a problem that is worth having, but it's hardly the non-issue as you portray it.

45 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

You do know that new roads can be built and older ones widened right? Must be a sad life.

I think some here have become nothing but a pure contrarian. You only have to look at posts to see that. Must be a sad life

38 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

No one said they were worried about anything.

You really ought to stop this extrapolation on straightforward comments.  It's very unbecoming.

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

The issues of infrastructure aren't non-issues, but I would think the city has plans in place to mitigate the strain of increased traffic.  Logic would indicate that the plant be located in one of the old cotton fields just of I-65 with a spur access road.

Archived