2018 playoff - I’m calling it now

FUZZYAUFAN

On 1/12/2018 at 9:01 AM, Newbomb said:

Georgia takes major hits on the defensive side due to Seniors and Juniors leaving.  Offensively they lose their RB's but they have had excellent recruiting classes so plug in play there.  The game will be won with our rebuilt O/Oline vs. their rebuilt D imho.

But what many seem to miss is that the new young players on Bama & UGA will have had several games under their belts by the time we play them. I fully expect UGA and Bama to be hitting on all cylinders 2018 by the time we play them. Tua and Fromm are the real deal. It's just going to be a reload situation for both teams as we saw them both having to rely on freshmen in the NC game, and they looked pretty good for both teams. I like our talent on defense but we can't expect to go into their house and run those same plays we beat them with this year IMO. We're going to have to mix it up a little more. But we do have the talent to beat them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm going to go ahead and get this out here. The OL is going to be bad. Especially to start the season. We are scrambling trying to find some grad transfers to help out. 

Wait a minute, is this for real? Why are we doing this last minute stuff?....I just don't get it. Why did we even extend Herb Hand? Smh 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Wait a minute, is this for real? Why are we doing this last minute stuff?....I just don't get it. Why did we even extend Herb Hand? Smh 

Gus/Rhett 2.0

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

What I'm wondering is how many years it will be before we can get rid of Gus, if we need to?

At least 2 years imo. Unless he completely falls apart. 8 or 9 wins with a win here and there against UGA and/or Bama he's going to be staying. The extension didn't help matters. 

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

So, question here, and I'm serious... Not just slinging arrows...

With all of the concern re: the O-Line and Hand's inability to coach them up... What are we to make of Horton?

He has made a name for having 1K yd rushers each year but it concerns me that when KJ was hurting and KP was nowhere to be found, AU couldn't cobble together a backfield with at least 3 more 3* & 4* backs on the roster...especially by the end of the season when they ALL had a full year under their belts.

Did Horton not coach them up or is this just the stubbornness of Gus? 

Shouldn't these guys have been ready to produce... at least better than a broken down, one-armed KJ, down the stretch?

I think it was a combination of things.

1. Missing on top running back recruits (fortunately not a problem this year).

2. Recruiting for specialty positions (Martin is a change of pace back, period).

3. Recruiting players with potential, but not immediate starters. (I think Barrett will be something special, but he needs weight room time if nothing else).

4. Not everyone makes the grade (his time is far from over, but Miller apparently needs to improve parts of his game).

I just can't question Horton with his string of 1000 yard backs under every circumstance you can imagine.

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why did we even extend Herb Hand?

This... so much this...

46 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Gus/Rhett 2.0

Seems like it's worse than that. In the case of Rhett, Gus was focused on helping him move on frequently trying to convince others he was a great hire. In the case of Hand, it appears he has no desire for him to move on.  I see it more as a barbecue boys scenario.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

This... so much this...

Seems like it's worse than that. In the case of Rhett, Gus was focused on helping him move on frequently trying to convince others he was a great hire. In the case of Hand, it appears he has no desire for him to move on.  I see it more as a barbecue boys scenario.

I can respect a man who's loyal because there are not many loyal people left in this world. But man Gus is loyal to a point where it seems he's willing to go "down" with his guy when it's clear it's not working. He got lucky with the Rhett situation by winning the LSU game and Rhett finally being able to locate another position. I think Hand is a pretty good recruiter but just seems he doesn't have much of a clue of how to mold and put that talent together. Geesh we miss Grimes! I'm not saying fire Hand at this point but at the same time, we know Gus it's going to go to Hand with some fiery speech letting him know he needs to step it up. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Gus/Rhett 2.0

I hate to say it but all things offensive line has taken a back seat since hand as taken over. It is arguably the most important piece of any Gus Malzhan team. How can you be this lackadaisical? 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

I hate to say it but all things offensive line has taken a back seat since hand as taken over. It is arguably the most important piece of any Gus Malzhan team. How can you be this lackadaisical? 

You're so right. Just seems like when we take two steps forward with finally getting better QB play here comes issues with the OL. Hopefully, the guys will be up for the challenge. 

Archived