Can we get this for our QB’s

AlaskanFAN

Clemson is already using it and a few NFL teams.

https://www.recode.net/2017/2/3/14500680/virtual-reality-football-nfl-super-bowl-training-video

This virtual reality startup is training NFL quarterbacks to be the next Tom Brady

STRIVR is changing the way athletes prepare to play the world’s most physical sports. 

By Kurt Wagner  

Playing football is dangerous. Watching virtual reality is ... not. 

That’s why STRIVR Labs exists. The Silicon Valley-based VR startup is working with NFL and college football teams to train their athletes virtually, using a headset to help athletes experience game scenarios the same way they do on the field without physically jeopardizing their bodies. 

“We’ve seen guys that couldn’t practice because of injury come into VR and put the headset on and actually go through [their] footwork at 10 percent speed,” explained STRIVR CEO and former Stanford kicker, Derek Belch. “[They] really get that one-tenth of the physical rep, but 100 percent of the mental rep. That mental edge is oftentimes what separates the pros from the Joes.”

STRIVR works with six NFL teams, including the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers, plus the recent NCAA College Football champions, the Clemson Tigers. Not a bad list of clients.

And while training high-caliber athletes is STRIVR’s core focus — these training deals can cost upward of six figures, Belch said — the company is also dipping its toes into another business: Entertainment. 

STRIVR has created a goalie simulator, a chance for fans to put on a headset and stand in-net while hockey pros pepper them with slap shots. Three different NHL teams use the technology inside their arenas, and Belch says fans find it to be one of the more realistic VR experiences out there — in part because STRIVR uses actually video footage, not computer-generated graphics, for the demo. 

“Ergonomically, you’re doing something real,” he explained. “It’s not a made-up experience.”

48 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

This is what I thought of when I read the OP. JJ needed less VR training and more "live bullets" training though

I'll try to be more positive, but first let me complain.

We don't let our quarterbacks make reads when passing and they don't make any adjustments at the line. Our quarterbacks are the most ill-prepared players if they're considering entering the NFL. The moment I see one of our QB's go through a read or check something at the line I'll hop back on to the Gus Bus.

That being said, this would be awesome technology for helping quarterbacks read coverages and have a risk free method of getting realistic reps.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Wut?

Watch a lot of our plays, the QB rarely looks for a different option and almost never has a check down alternative. Similar to how we spent a few years with predetermined read plays running the ball. 

Just now, Zeek said:

Watch a lot of our plays, the QB rarely looks for a different option and almost never has a check down alternative. Similar to how we spent a few years with predetermined read plays running the ball. 

I can assure you that our quarterbacks are allowed to, and do make reads when they pass the ball. 

18 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I can assure you that our quarterbacks are allowed to, and do make reads when they pass the ball. 

That is, when they don't have 250+ pounds of bad intention flying directly at them before they have a chance to make a read :)

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That is, when they don't have 250+ pounds of bad intention flying directly at them before they have a chance to make a read :)

Does tend to complicate things. Every time I got sacked, no matter how bad it hurt, I would look him straight in the eyes and laugh at him for hitting like a pansy. Except one time I got knocked out, so I don't think I was laughing. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Does tend to complicate things. Every time I got sacked, no matter how bad it hurt, I would look him straight in the eyes and laugh at him for hitting like a pansy. Except one time I got knocked out, so I don't think I was laughing. 

Nice.

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I got back up, went straight to the sideline and my coach put me back in after the next play. "Concussion protocol."

"How many fingers am I holding up?"
"15, coach."
"Close enough, get back in there."

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I got back up, went straight to the sideline and my coach put me back in after the next play. "Concussion protocol."

Have you recovered mentally yet?

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

This is what I thought of when I read the OP. JJ needed less VR training and more "live bullets" training though

When your VR headset glitches:

XWj3atB.gif

1 hour ago, metafour said:

When your VR headset glitches:

XWj3atB.gif

If I remember correctly, Lashley threw his gloves on the sidelines after this play. Never wore gloves again that season I don't think..

Archived