Will Jalen Hurts transfer from Bama?

Auburn1954

Time to start the ultimate rumor. There is no doubt that Jalen Hurts will transfer from Alabama now that Tagovailoa has shown he is the better all around quarterback. Many will say Hurts will head to either Texas or Houston so he can be close to home. However those two schools are similar to Alabama in that they use a pro-set drop back passing offensive. There is only one other school besides Georgia Tech that uses a run first, run, pass, option offense and that's Auburn. Jalen Hurts would be a perfect fit into Gus Malzahn's offense. For those who say it can't happen you need to remember Kenny Irons transferred from South Carolina to Auburn, Cam Newton came indirectly from Florida, Nick Marshall came indirectly from Georgia, Trey Matthews transferred from Georgia to Auburn. Jalen Hurts transferring to Auburn would be perfect for him and  perfect for Auburn. He would have to sit out a year while Stidham has his breakout year and heads on to the NFL. He plays his last two years of eligibility in 19 and 20 while Patrick Nix learns the offense and gets ready to replace him. He also gets the chance to beat Alabama and get some payback for all those bammer's that treated him so badly. 

We have our qb situation set, so mods please shut this crazy talk down immediately please!

2 minutes ago, Auburn1954 said:

Time to start the ultimate rumor. There is no doubt that Jalen Hurts will transfer from Alabama now that Tagovailoa has shown he is the better all around quarterback. Many will say Hurts will head to either Texas or Huston so he can be close to home. However those two schools are similar to Alabama in that they use a pro-set drop back passing offensive. There is only one other school besides Georgia Tech that uses a run first, run, pass, option offense and that's Auburn. Jalen Hurts would be a perfect fit in Gus Malzahn's offense. For those who say it can't happen you need to remember Kenny Irons transferred from South Carolina to Auburn, Cam Newton came indirectly from Florida, Nick Marshall came indirectly form Georgia, Trey Matthews transferred from Georgia to Auburn. Jalen Hurts transferring to Auburn would be perfect for him and  perfect for Auburn. He would have to sit out a year while Stidham has his breakout year and heads on to the NFL. He plays his last two years of eligibility in 19 and 20 while Patrick Nix learns the offense and gets ready to replace him. He also gets the chance to beat Alabama and get some payback for all those bammer's that treated him so badly. 

Saban would never release him to go to Auburn.

I don't think he can stop him. There is no such rule in the SEC that prevents a player from transferring from one school to another. The SEC uses the same criteria as the NCAA. That rule only requires the player to sit out one season like Stidham did at the High School he practiced at before coming to Auburn.

10 minutes ago, Auburn1954 said:

I don't think he can stop him. There is no such rule in the SEC that prevents a player from transferring from one school to another. The SEC uses the same criteria as the NCAA. That rule only requires the player to sit out one season like Stidham did at the High School he practiced at before coming to Auburn.

I'm not certain, but I thought the releasing coach's consent was necessary in order to be able to receive a scholarship from the new school vs. having to pay his own way for a year.  In both cases, the player still has to sit out a year.  If that's the case, then the player would be more likely to transfer to an acceptable school where, even though he'd have to sit out a year, he wouldn't have to foot the bill. 

I'd love to have him at Auburn, but I don't see it happening.

In any case, I expect that Hurts will compete for the starting job at least through the spring.  He won't likely transfer out unless it's certain that he has lost the job.  One game (even on the biggest stage) doesn't make Tua a lock to win the job.  If Hurts is the competitor that I imagine he is, he won't give up without a fight. 

Here are the rules on transferring:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18_Transfer_Guide_4_Year_20170721.pdf

What if my current school does not provide a permission-to-contact letter?

If your current school does not provide the permission-to-contact letter, your new school cannot contact you. You may still transfer to your new school, but you will not be eligible for an athletics scholarship until you have attended your new school for one academic year.

If staff members at your current school deny your request for a permission-to-contact letter, they must explain in writing how you can appeal their decision. If you appeal their decision, a panel of individuals from your current school who are not involved in athletics will conduct a hearing to decide the issue.

Do not talk to another school’s coach until you know the rules about receiving written permission.

If JH has half-way decent people around him then he will stay there and change positions to something that he has a chance at playing in the NFL.  My assumption would be RB or WR.  This way he gets at least a year at that position and has the opportunity to move on to the NFL.  Bottom line is that I don't think there is any way Hurts transfers from UAt.

While I think Auburn could really use another body at QB, for depth reasons, I don't see any way he is going to transfer somewhere where there's a solid chance he's going to be in a back-up roll.

On top of that, Saban has no one behind Tua, and no on in the pipeline this year, so you can bet he's going to do what it takes to hang on to Hurts.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but I agree that he should stay and play another position. He's a fantastic athlete and he's got the build to play another position in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Auburn1954 said:

If the coach makes the block then the transfer has to be a walk on and pay his own way the 1st transfer year.

You have all provided very good reasons why you do not think it will ever happen, and I agree it would at best be a long shot. The one thing a group of obviously very knowledgeable college football people haven't said is he would not be a perfect fit into Auburn's offensive scheme. If we all can see that and know that, you can bet Malzahn and more importantly JH and his father who is a high school football coach sees and knows that also. I can't see someone with his talent regulated to the bench behind a younger player or hoping to get into a few running plays behind two or three 5 star running backs. Auburn might be at the bottom of a list of 4 or 5 schools he would consider transferring to but if he truly has NFL aspirations I think he's gone. So, what the hell, it might as well be us.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

While I think Auburn could really use another body at QB, for depth reasons, I don't see any way he is going to transfer somewhere where there's a solid chance he's going to be in a back-up roll.

On top of that, Saban has no one behind Tua, and no on in the pipeline this year, so you can bet he's going to do what it takes to hang on to Hurts.

There are some who say that NS knew Tua was the better QB but did not want to force Hurts out by demoting him so let things go along as they were doing all season until they lost to AU.   Not surprising that if AU could shut down Hurts, that the dawgs could do that too.  .  

Might or might not be true but I'm guessing the only ones really surprised by Tua's ability were the dawg defenders who could neither tackle him nor do much with his passing.  If KS truly expected Tua to play, seems he would have been better prepared for him?  

Either way for Hurts....IMO....he will be back at bama next season and on the field somewhere. 

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

There are some who say that NS knew Tua was the better QB but did not want to force Hurts out by demoting him so let things go along as they were doing all season until they lost to AU.   Not surprising that if AU could shut down Hurts, that the dawgs could do that too.  .  

Might or might not be true but I'm guessing the only ones really surprised by Tua's ability were the dawg defenders who could neither tackle him nor do much with his passing.  If KS truly expected Tua to play, seems he would have been better prepared for him?  

Either way for Hurts....IMO....he will be back at bama next season and on the field somewhere. 

I don't think NS would let him move positions. Not sure who is the back up QB but if Tua was to get hurt, there could be big problems.

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I don't think NS would let him move positions. Not sure who is the back up QB but if Tua was to get hurt, there could be big problems.

Gotta play an athletic guy like that....can't just keep him on the bench waiting on someone to get injured....and playing 2 QBs is very unlikely to make either one of them happy.   Hurts could play a couple different offensive positions and still be their back-up if needed. JMO 

23 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

He could move to running back. Tua goes down, they just "run the wildcat".

21 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I wish he could transfer here to be a RB but that isnt happening.

Saban wouldn’t allow that anyway.

I have not followed Tom Herman at Houston or Texas, but at Ohio State he ran Urban Meyer's power spread offense. Hurts would fit in well with that type of offense.

If Hurts transfers, he needs to pull the trigger now. He has two more years of eligibility, and could redshirt during his sit-out year. That makes him viable for a Power 5 school. If he waits, and has only one year of eligibility, his only choice will likely be a non-Power 5 school.

Anyone know the QB situation in UCLA post Rosen? Chip Kelly's system would love a QB like Hurts.

One half of football against a team that wasn't expecting him to play does not make next year's starter out of Tua. Tua will have to dominate Hurts in spring practice to take the job and whether he can do that or not remains to be seen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 11:51 AM, Auburn1954 said:

Time to start the ultimate rumor. There is no doubt that Jalen Hurts will transfer from Alabama now that Tagovailoa has shown he is the better all around quarterback. Many will say Hurts will head to either Texas or Houston so he can be close to home. However those two schools are similar to Alabama in that they use a pro-set drop back passing offensive. There is only one other school besides Georgia Tech that uses a run first, run, pass, option offense and that's Auburn. Jalen Hurts would be a perfect fit into Gus Malzahn's offense. For those who say it can't happen you need to remember Kenny Irons transferred from South Carolina to Auburn, Cam Newton came indirectly from Florida, Nick Marshall came indirectly from Georgia, Trey Matthews transferred from Georgia to Auburn. Jalen Hurts transferring to Auburn would be perfect for him and  perfect for Auburn. He would have to sit out a year while Stidham has his breakout year and heads on to the NFL. He plays his last two years of eligibility in 19 and 20 while Patrick Nix learns the offense and gets ready to replace him. He also gets the chance to beat Alabama and get some payback for all those bammer's that treated him so badly. 

You forgot Cory Grant. Who signed with Alabama after high school, wasn't released, had to walk on then was awarded a scholarship. 

I don't see hurts staying at bama, but I sure don't see him coming here. 

Archived