2019 4* RB Noah Cain (Penn St.)

Zeek

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

It’s not about carries. It’s about having people ready when there time is called upon. When you are blowing out people, there is no reason to not substitute, to allow for your other backs to get in game experience . Also, if you primary freaking running back is tired or seems to have a nagging injury, do not run them to the ground. Substitute. This came out of KJ own mouth last year. He specifically said at times he should’ve just told the coaches to get a sub in. That way if something unfortunate does happen, you don’t have your pants down with the what do I do now face.

Yup. And Gus needs to open his eyes. He claims he didn't know Sean White was hurt in the '16 DSOR. It's looking an awful lot like a trend. Yes, this might be somewhat a collective failing of the staff, but we're talking about QB1 and RB1 on the unit that he held the play sheet for in several games in the seasons during which those incidents occurred. He's watching what's happening out there. He should know. I won't even think about what it means if he was told, which he very well could have been.

And the fact that Kam Martin is RB1 as of right now tells me that he was good enough to play over a clearly injured and ineffective KJ in the SECCG, and could have helped in the bowl game, too. If we aren't capable of coming up with plays for a guy who is suspect in pass blocking but who is a damned fine ball carrier, then we have a coaching problem. (I have no problem believing that Chip is capable of it.)

RB1 2018 had 10 carries over the last 2 games of 2017. He was perfectly healthy for both of them. Massive coaching failure. At least Horton acknowledged it.

PS- I know that KMart being RB1 *right now* is meaningless. We supposedly had an established depth chart going into 2015 and Sean White was supposedly the starter against Clemson in 2016. But even if KMart is RB3 going into 2018, he could have helped in the SECCG and should have been allowed to. That's the thing about these massive brain farts that Gus has- the LSU game, the last 2 Clemson games, JFIII. When he's capable of making such indefensible decisions that have major, negative impacts on the team and the season, it removes any benefit of the doubt on other decisions. 

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. And Gus needs to open his eyes. He claims he didn't know Sean White was hurt in the '16 DSOR. It's looking an awful lot like a trend. Yes, this might be somewhat a collective failing of the staff, but we're talking about QB1 and RB1 on the unit that he held the play sheet for in several games in the seasons during which those incidents occurred. He's watching what's happening out there. He should know. I won't even think about what it means if he was told, which he very well could have been.

And the fact that Kam Martin is RB1 as of right now tells me that he was good enough to play over a clearly injured and ineffective KJ in the SECCG, and could have helped in the bowl game, too. If we aren't capable of coming up with plays for a guy who is suspect in pass blocking but who is a damned fine ball carrier, then we have a coaching problem. (I have no problem believing that Chip is capable of it.)

RB1 2018 had 10 carries over the last 2 games of 2017. He was perfectly healthy for both of them. Massive coaching failure. At least Horton acknowledged it.

PS- I know that KMart being RB1 *right now* is meaningless. We supposedly had an established depth chart going into 2015 and Sean White was supposedly the starter against Clemson in 2016. But even if KMart is RB3 going into 2018, he could have helped in the SECCG and should have been allowed to. That's the thing about these massive brain farts that Gus has- the LSU game, the last 2 Clemson games, JFIII. When he's capable of making such indefensible decisions that have major, negative impacts on the team and the season, it removes any benefit of the doubt on other decisions. 

Now give me your opinion on our 49 million dollar man.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:58 PM, Mikey said:

Roc was a 5* right enough, but more of a scatback prospect, if I'm recalling correctly. That leaves Dyer, who I forgot. I don't think KJ and Asa Martin were top five in the nation. Maybe top five on our want list but that's a different thing. Point is, this year isn't much, if any different from prior years as far as AU recruiting RB's. There's no way KJ's number of carries kept us from getting, say Chubb who we tried to sign, or Emmitt Smith, who we missed on before these current guys were born or the many in between who we "finished second" for. KJ's carries are apparently the whine du jour but us missing on top level RB's is far, far from something new and has been going on long before people started counting carries and claiming that's the reason we aren't signing top RB's.

The KJ comments are hurting us with these type backs we get every year. That is the difference now.  Can't tell you one back we lead for in our 10 ten right now. 

10 hours ago, fredst said:

Man, I thought we were going to get Emmitt- I knew about him and was hoping like heck to get him long before recruiting was a “thing”. It sure was sweet to beat him and then chant “Emmitt, Emmitt...” for those old enough to remember this one:

Emmit was a silent to Dye for a long time. Got bought by a Bull Gator and went to UF. The recruiting "thing" was as dirty as ever then. 

Oh...... I was at this game. 

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Emmit was a silent to Dye for a long time. Got bought by a Bull Gator and went to UF. The recruiting "thing" was as dirty as ever then. 

Yep, that's why losing him really hurt. If I remember it involved a job for his Mom somehow- like Trent Richardson a generation earlier,lol. I was also at that game in the opposite corner of the end zone and remember seeing Wasden come open, was like watching it happen in slow motion. Remember ol' Emmitt kneeling at midfield after the game and pounding his helmet repeatedly into the JHS turf. And, he never rushed for 100 against an AU defense, including that night. 

Now, back to Mr. Cain.

24 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Couple of good things to Cain's recruitment. He is going to visit on a official. And is going to wait till December to commit so he can see how all his top teams do this year. 

Also Texas likes Derrian Brown a lot & could have him by then too. If that happens & LSU has a glorious implosion Cain could fall to AU.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The KJ comments are hurting us with these type backs we get every year. That is the difference now.  Can't tell you one back we lead for in our 10 ten right now. 

Linemen are always tough to pull on both sides, but it's damn ridiculous to be struggling to land a top RB at Auburn. Ridiculous.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Out of likes ?

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is true also Emmit has stated that he should have gone to Auburn. I was at the game poor Emmitt was dead tired after the game I watched him walk off the field he could barely make it as a matter of fact he had to stop and take a knee had his head covered by a towel. 

16 minutes ago, CR said:

but it's damn ridiculous to be struggling to land a top RB at Auburn. Ridiculous.

If you've read the debate going on the past couple weeks & how we are being hammered on the trail by other coaches on our RB1 workload & the rest not getting competitive situations carries you'd know it's not ridiculous right now & may not be ridiculous til Gus starts trust more than 1 RB per season.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

In HS, the HC typically has delegated the "eye on injuries" to others. I'd assume, in college, that job is for the medical and training staffs.  The HC, on game day, doesn't have time to be distracted with that. It's the assistants job to realize and pass on the info to the coordinators.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

In HS, the HC typically has delegated the "eye on injuries" to others. I'd assume, in college, that job is for the medical and training staffs.  The HC, on game day, doesn't have time to be distracted with that. It's the assistants job to realize and pass on the info to the coordinators.

I stand corrected on the in-game part. Unfortunately that only leads me to believe that he was told and didn't act on that info. Both guys played after halftime, IIRC.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If you've read the debate going on the past couple weeks & how we are being hammered on the trail by other coaches on our RB1 workload & the rest not getting competitive situations carries you'd know it's not ridiculous right now & may not be ridiculous til Gus starts trust more than 1 RB per season.

Yes, I know WHY it's happening but to be in this situation is the ridiculous part. Totally self inflicted.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Damn assistants.  With Sean he may not have known.  With KJ he for sure knew what was going on.  In the post game presser when asked about playing an injured KJ Gus said KJ got us here.  Unbelievable!!!!!  That is Gus in a nutshell.  Stubborn as a damn mule.  He also said that they did not know until game time if KJ could even play with not only the shoulder but also rib issues.  Like I said before, we can hope for change in one hand and $hart in the other.  We all know which one will fill up 1st.

8 minutes ago, CR said:

Yes, I know WHY it's happening but to be in this situation is the ridiculous part. Totally self inflicted.

Fair point.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Damn assistants.  With Sean he may not have known.  With KJ he for sure knew what was going on.  In the post game presser when asked about playing an injured KJ Gus said KJ got us here.  Unbelievable!!!!!  That is Gus in a nutshell.  Stubborn as a damn mule.  He also said that they did not know until game time if KJ could even play with not only the shoulder but also rib issues.  Like I said before, we can hope for change in one hand and $hart in the other.  We all know which one will fill up 1st.

It's not on the assistants here. Gus had all that info before the game started. The ribs weren't a new thing. It was known & discussed on all premium boards well before the game & Gus knew it too. That's why @McLoofus's point about not having K-Mart ready to go & using him in the game is so frustrating. Gus doesn't like being straight forward in pressers. Basically don't trust a thing he says unless it's backed up on the field or by people connected to the program.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yeah if understand this correctly, his mom worked at a law firm and got reassigned to the staff of a Gator alum and fat pay raise came with it.  Emmit wanted to come to Auburn b/c of Bo and natural turf.  UF had artificial turf at the time.  I heard this from a Gator alum (a lawyer)  first hand back in the 80's, in Pensacola.  Honestly, I thought the guy was bragging how they kinda bought his mom.

I was there that night (Oct 31?) and I am pretty sure Auburn was the only program Emmit never got a 100 yds against while at Auburn.  

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

:banghead:

CGM better adjust NOW - the recruiting waters are infested with sharks and they will eat AU alive if they can point any deficiency in this program.   Having a former player make statements like KJ only pour chum into the waters.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Can someone please provide a link to these comments made by KJ that are hurting us on the recruiting trail? It must be pretty bad based on some of the comments on this board.

It seems like a simple fix to any negative talk about carrying too much of the workload would be "getting that many carries allowed him to become SEC Offensive Player of the Year and sign a $6.2 million dollar NFL contract with a $2.8 million dollar signing bonus.." Something along those lines.

11 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

It seems like a simple fix to any negative talk about carrying too much of the workload would be "getting that many carries allowed him to become SEC Offensive Player of the Year and sign a $6.2 million dollar NFL contract with a $2.8 million dollar signing bonus.." Something along those lines.

Yeah this part is what I don’t get. “Don’t go to Auburn; you’ll be SEC POTY and drafted in a respectable NFL draft round, and that’s not what you want.” Doesn’t make sense. 

We generally don’t have a reputation for running backs into the ground. We have had backs like Mason that ran better and stronger as the season went along as a matter of fact. CAP wasn’t exactly limping to the finish line either. 

20 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Can someone please provide a link to these comments made by KJ that are hurting us on the recruiting trail?

Check the football forum where it should be & I know has been linked over there. Sorry to be a Richard but I'm not doing searches for other people anymore.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Check the football forum where it should be & I know has been linked over there. Sorry to be a Richard but I'm not doing searches for other people anymore.

That's fine. I've looked and don't see a thread title so I guess its buried in some random thread. Also, I've looked online and all I could find was KJ saying he was banged up. Nothing slanderous about Auburn or Gus, nor severe enough to miss on all Top 10 backs this cycle.

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

That's fine. I've looked and don't see a thread title so I guess its buried in some random thread. Also, I've looked online and all I could find was KJ saying he was banged up. Nothing slanderous about Auburn or Gus, nor severe enough to miss on all Top 10 backs this cycle.

His actual quote wasn't slandering. It's just used as as ammo to an attack our competitors were already making. H e basically said it was crazy for a RB to be used in college or pro as much as he was.

Archived