2019 4* RB Noah Cain (Penn St.)

Zeek

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

Eddie Gran?  I don't know all of the ins and outs of how he was at Auburn but the guy was able to produce some backs.  I think I'll sit down as well because I don't know of a younger talent for the position.  Something needs to change in our approach to these kids cause it ain't working.  If you take away Gus' ability to get Dyer from Arkansas we have not done so well with the elite backs. 

I think Eddie has added more words to his title, but I'm not positive. He was a great one and we'd be lucky to have another like him, that's for sure. Hell of a recruiter, too, if I'm not mistaken. 

I think @WaynesAUworld is right. Start at Dell McGee and work our way back from there. Of course, I suppose it's all hypothetical for at least another season.

At least Horton isn't moonlighting on special teams anymore. 

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Really been disappointed with Horton. Seems to lost his touch in recruiting. Chip got us Asa. 

Do you feel like it is because he has been focusing on trying to find a head coaching job somewhere?  Or just would rather focus on coaching instead of meeting with recruits as he gets older?

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's felt like Horton has had one foot out the door for a couple years now. I'd be more than happy with an injection of new energy there. But I don't have any names, so I'll sit back down now. 

Dell McGee

Edit: should've kept reading before responding.

I guess rules prevent us from hiring Cadillac as an assistant, analyst, or off-field coach if Cain wants to play here?

57 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

I guess rules prevent us from hiring Cadillac as an assistant, analyst, or off-field coach if Cain wants to play here?

For 2 years if I'm not mistaken. 

1 hour ago, LakeBum said:

My understanding is that we can hire him as an on the field coach and be fine, but not off the field.

247 just dropped Cains rating like an anchor in water; from 100 to 242. Anyone know why?

4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

E is there any chance Cain might be coming to our cookout? 

No clue. I haven't seen a report of the possibility.

4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

My pipe dream is Cain, Booth, and Dean.  If we could only land one I would take Cain. 

My order would be Booth, Dean, Cain of those 3. A primetime DB can make things so much easier on the defense. Also you can plug and play a number of solid sized RBs in our O & produce.

1 minute ago, brad5628AU said:

@WarDamnEagleWDE do you know why Dell turned us down? IMO, open up the checkbook for him after the season is over. 

Obviously not WDE, but I asked the same thing a few months back and was told that he didn’t want to make a lateral move to be a position coach again. I think he’s looking for an OC job to leave. 

4 minutes ago, Auburn 6 said:

Obviously not WDE, but I asked the same thing a few months back and was told that he didn’t want to make a lateral move to be a position coach again. I think he’s looking for an OC job to leave. 

Right, he wanted a little bit more authority, although not necessarily OC.

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Really been disappointed with Horton. Seems to lost his touch in recruiting. Chip got us Asa. 

We are supposedly in the top 2 with Cain. Who's got us there? Horton or his area recruiters Kodi & Porter?

3 hours ago, LakeBum said:

Can someone explain this rule?  What has Cadillac been doing that prevents us from hiring him?

5 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

how in the world are we not able to get 1 elite back at least every 3 years at a minimum.

A big part of it has to do with there are 16-17 schools with rich RB tradition & not enough elite rated RBs to go around for ever team to get 1 every 3 years. With that said, in terms of elite rated RBs we have landed 1 on average every 3 years. Problem is a few haven't panned out, notably Roc & Jovon.

5 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

If you show a kid the numbers and what has been accomplished it SHOULD be an easy sell.

Not really. Most RBs have gotten smart on RB wear & tear & don't want to be the only feature back on a team touching the ball anymore. Gus runs his RB1s into the ground. Even Kerryon said in an interview the other day it was crazy for RB1s to run as much as Gus had him run the ball.

4 hours ago, WaynesAUworld said:

Wish we could replace him with CDM.

We tried after last season. Del was a pretty hard no.

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

My understanding is that we can hire him as an on the field coach and be fine, but not off the field.

Correct.

23 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Can someone explain this rule?  What has Cadillac been doing that prevents us from hiring him?

There is a new rule that went into effect within the last few years that says if we hire a coach out of high school, we can't recruit that high school for X number of years. 

So if we hired Cadillac, we wouldn't be able to recruit anyone from the football factory that is IMG for a number of years

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

247 just dropped Cains rating like an anchor in water; from 100 to 242. Anyone know why?

I wondered this as well. That is a HUGE drop. 

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

There is a new rule that went into effect within the last few years that says if we hire a coach out of high school, we can't recruit that high school for X number of years. 

So if we hired Cadillac, we wouldn't be able to recruit anyone from the football factory that is IMG

The rule states that we can't hire them as an off the field coach 2 years prior or after getting a recruit from the same HS.  If the coach is an 'ON the field' then there is no issue.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Must have been camp work.

35 minutes ago, saminbama said:

To go along with LKeel's post Sam. Caddy is a coach at IMG.

8 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

The rule states that we can't hire them as an off the field coach.  If the coach is an 'ON the field' then there is no issue.

I stand corrected. But even if he was hired on as an on the field coach, HE wouldn't be able to recruit anyone from that school for 2 years. That's still a tough one. 

However that doesn't mean Cadillac is ready for an on the field spot as RB coach. It looks like he only has a couple years of coaching. 

Maybe if he had played under Malzahn, Gus would be more prone to hiring him, but being he is an unknown quality to Gus, I wouldn't hold my breath 

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I stand corrected. But even if he was hired on as an on the field coach, HE wouldn't be able to recruit anyone from that school for 2 years. That's still a tough one. 

However that doesn't mean Cadillac is ready for an on the field spot as RB coach. It looks like he only has a couple years of coaching. 

Maybe if he had played under Malzahn, Gus would be more prone to hiring him, but being he is an unknown quality to Gus, I wouldn't hold my breath 

He may not be the lead recruiter for that school, but if they made his area somewhere else then there wouldn't be any problem.  For example, I believe that area is currently KB's responsibility.  So he could come in and talk to recruits as a position coach.

With all that being said, I completely agree.  I don't know that Caddy is ready for RB coach at this point.  Not my place to judge that so I leave that to those making big bucks.  

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

With respect, incorrect. LKeel had it right. A school can recruit players from a school as long as the coach in question is hired by AU as an on field coach.

Archived