2019 4* RB Noah Cain (Penn St.)

Zeek

56 minutes ago, Mikey said:

PS: Are some suggesting that K. Martin was as good as Sony Michel last season, so we should have given Martin 156 carries?

You think he got enough carries in the SEC championship game? 4 carries while perfectly healthy? The guy who is RB1 heading into summer practices? 

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

This is why we can't compete with good backs.  We need better quality.

We need our coach to be willing to balance the load out better. Will increase production & have less tear for bigger games.

I am trying to be optimistic here, but I live less than 2 miles where Cain played before he went to IMG...

- This is big OU country and OU is anything but in decline.  OU is about 2 hrs from my house.  

- UT has been getting some very positive press here lately and local media love  Tom Herman.  Everyone thinks they are 1-2 yrs away from contending for conf championships.

I am betting the family would rather he play a lot closer to home since he is playing HS in Florida ( I am assuming they stayed in TX).   

I don't think it is a coincidence the schools he listed were organized regionally: the 1st 3 were closest and the 2nd 3 were great schools, but much farther away.  

I put a lot of stock in the fact the family location will play a huge factor....I hope I am wrong.  This reminds me of the back from Tenn that chose Ohio state last yr for several reasons.  Both were our top targets....I could go on, but - 

Until we start managing our RBs with an eye toward season longevity, we are going to struggle recruiting.  Keep doing the same thing, you get the same dang results.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

( I am assuming they stayed in TX).    

FTR mom lives in Texas. Dad in Louisiana.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FTR mom lives in Texas. Dad in Louisiana.

Makes UT the easiest drive for each parent, and I think he listed UT first.   Dang.   Time to move on probably (as fans).

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

This is what Ugag is showing the RB recruits.  It is an easy sell to 5* kids at the position and easy to negatively recruit against us.  I'm not saying that I agree with everything rival coaches are saying, just that it is an easy sell for UGA.  The biggest stat below for me is the Average ypc.  That is off the friggin charts.  I put Auburns below for comparison

RUSHING
GP
ATT
ATT/G
YDS
AVG
YDS/G
TD
LNG
100+
FUM
FUML
1 Chubb, Nick RB
15 223 14.9 1345 6.0 89.7 15 55 6 0 0
2 Michel, Sony RB
14 156 11.1 1227 7.9 87.6 16 75 3 2 1
15 81 5.4 618 7.6 41.2 3 71 0 2 1
10 50 5.0 293 5.9 29.3 2 39 0 2 0
13 61 4.7 265 4.3 20.4 1 30 0 0 0

RUSHING
GP
ATT
ATT/G
YDS
AVG
YDS/G
TD
LNG
100+
FUM
FUML
12 285 23.8 1391 4.9 115.9 18 60 8 1 1
2 Martin, Kam RB
11 74 6.7 453 6.1 41.2 2 61 1 1 0
3 Stove, Eli WR
14 30 2.1 315 10.5 22.5 2 45 0 1 1
5 76 15.2 305 4.0 61.0 6 38 1 2 2

I agree that this is impressive for UGA to show to recruits, but I encourage you to go back and look at AU over the past 4-5 years. It looks very different. Their YPC is very impressive. But concerning carries, two years ago KP and KJ shared carries very similar to NC and SM. I went back over several seasons and when Gus has 2 fully healthy RBs, and/or a running QB, he shares workload much more evenly. If I were an AU coach, I could easily counter any negative recruiting simply by pulling up the same site and showing the entire body of work instead of one year. For what it is worth, I was livid at Gus at times last year for not giving KM more carries, but our coaches should be able to handle this level of negative recruiting pitch. 

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree that this is impressive for UGA to show to recruits, but I encourage you to go back and look at AU over the past 4-5 years. It looks very different. Their YPC is very impressive. But concerning carries, two years ago KP and KJ shared carries very similar to NC and SM. I went back over several seasons and when Gus has 2 fully healthy RBs, and/or a running QB, he shares workload much more evenly. If I were an AU coach, I could easily counter any negative recruiting simply by pulling up the same site and showing the entire body of work instead of one year. For what it is worth, I was livid at Gus at times last year for not giving KM more carries, but our coaches should be able to handle this level of negative recruiting pitch. 

The problem is even when we split it we don't have anywhere near the numbers.  Show me 2 backs in Gus' system that got 1200+ yards in a season.  Not QB's since we are talking about RB recruiting.  Also show me where back #3 had 600 yards under Gus.  You won't find it.

8 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem is even when we split it we don't have anywhere near the numbers.  Show me 2 backs in Gus' system that got 1200+ yards in a season.  Not QB's since we are talking about RB recruiting.  Also show me where back #3 had 600 yards under Gus.  You won't find it.

Point though is until there is some shared carries with our backs & having production, we will struggle landing elites. We aren't going to land elites then share.

24 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

2013: Mason, CAP, and Corey Grant all went over 600 yards. Marshall rushed for over 1000 as well. True, a lot of Grants came on jet sweeps but it has to count since it is such a big part of our offense. That said, the key to this discussion in my opinion is why aren’t we landing elite backs. My stance is it comes down to great salesmanship which is all recruiting is really. I dont doubt there are some who negative recruit vs AU for one reason or the other, but we have an overall RB history second to none. Maybe its time for a new RB coach/recruiter. What we have to sell is not aligning with who is buying. 

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Point though is until there is some shared carries with our backs & having production, we will struggle landing elites. We aren't going to land elites then share.

One thing I think that hurts us from a stats perspective, is the number of yards and carries on the jet sweeps. I went back in and looked, and McCalleb was over 500 yards a year all 4 years, Corey Grant went over 600 in 2013 and they were typically the third leading rusher. But its hard to sell that to RBs, because it is being done from a WR position. Even last year, Stove was our third leading rusher. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

One thing I think that hurts us from a stats perspective, is the number of yards and carries on the jet sweeps. I went back in and looked, and McCalleb was over 500 yards a year all 4 years, Corey Grant went over 600 in 2013 and they were typically the third leading rusher. But its hard to sell that to RBs, because it is being done from a WR position. Even last year, Stove was our third leading rusher. 

I agree

9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

And our qb had second most carries 

And way too many of them ended poorly. Hope his jersey stays cleaner this season. 

14 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

And our qb had second most carries 

When you take out the 42 sacks + fumbles/missed hand offs he 4th in rush attempts.

38 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I actually consider that a feature and not a bug. And I can't wait for some combination of Schwartz, Shivers and/or Stove when he comes back to carry that tradition on. TZach, Rico... we're always gonna have it and I'm okay with it. Also, TZach and Rico were both still true WRs, and McCalebb and Grant still got lots of carries out of the backfield, with Grant being more successful as an NFL RB than Mason, CAP or, of course, any of the guys who flamed out. Now, we lost Roc Thomas because they wanted him in that role, but  not before he was given every opportunity to win the running back job. 

Also, in 2010 and 2013, we had 3 guys over 90 carries even with the QBs putting up RB1/RB2 numbers. In 2014, we would have been pretty screwed if CAP had gone down. 

As for this past season, our top 4 RBs and Stove split 499 carries between them last year, with Stove taking 30 of those. Georgia's top 5 RBs split 571 carries. I threw out QB stats because Stidham wasn't a true dual-threat QB and they factor sacks into QB rushing stats in college. (Take out the 11 that Stid took against Clemson alone and you're down to 92 total carries for him.)

Our percentage of carries by each RB and Stove went like this:
KJ- 57%
KP- 15%
KM- 15%
MM- 7%
ES- 6%

For uga, it went:
NC- 39%
SM- 27%
BH- 23%
DS- 15%
EH- 9%

KP only played in 5 games and didn't play again after October 21st. Martin was RB2 for much of the season. Would have been nice to see him carry the ball more. 

Just now, ellitor said:

Running Back is such a huge position at AU given our tradition that it needs 2 Mikey type gurus. Therefore I dub  @McLoofus & @NorthGATiger our RB tag team gurus, AKA, The Road Warriors...

giphy.gif

Love me some Hawk and Animal.  Loof you be Hawk.  Too many personal issues to be me lol.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Running Back is such a huge position at AU given our tradition that it needs 2 Mikey type gurus. Therefore I dub  @McLoofus & @NorthGATiger our RB tag team gurus, AKA, The Road Warriors...

giphy.gif

This is it. This is the moment that my whole life has been building up to! Ellitor, thank you!!!!

@NorthGATiger, do you want to be Animal or Hawk? 

EDIT: LOL

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

Until we start managing our RBs with an eye toward season longevity, we are going to struggle recruiting.  Keep doing the same thing, you get the same dang results.

It's not like this is a sudden, new problem.  Getting Bo Jackson was a solid steal, Brent Fullwood and Caddy Williams fit right in there too. Now, other than those three, what "top three in the nation" RB's has Auburn ever signed? We weren't getting them before last season and we're not getting them now, but the number of carries isn't why. If it were, there's be a long list of 5* RB's that have killed it at Auburn. We can get the KJ's and plenty of other good backs, but aside from one every decade or two, AU has never pulled a top three back.

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's not like this is a sudden, new problem.  Getting Bo Jackson was a solid steal, Brent Fullwood and Caddy Williams fit right in there too. Now, other than those three, what "top three in the nation" RB's has Auburn ever signed? We weren't getting them before last season and we're not getting them now, but the number of carries isn't why. If it were, there's be a long list of 5* RB's that have killed it at Auburn. We can get the KJ's and plenty of other good backs, but aside from one every decade or two, AU has never pulled a top three back.

Mike Dyer was just 8 years ago. He was a top 2 back. Roc Thomas was just 4 years ago, and he was a top 2 back, also. Jovon Robinson wasn't ranked against high school prospects, but he had the same Rivals score as those guys. He was just 3 years ago. So was Kerryon Johnson, who was a top 5 back. Asa Martin is a top 3 back. We got him in this last class.

Now, not having much depth isn't sudden or new. We were very fortunate in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014. Our lack of depth has been a problem every season since.

But it is definitely a sudden and new problem that we can't get any top tier guys to return our calls. 

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

This is less impressive when you look at the quality of the teams that they play.  We shut those running backs down cold, if I remember correctly...

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

KJ- 57%
KP- 15%
KM- 15%
MM- 7%
ES- 6%

I appreciate your research on that.  If you still have it around, could you do the same but only use the 4 losses and show the percentages?  I'd guess it would be a LOT more skewed, but that's just a guess.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I would say Dyer and Roc.  Jovon was close.  We were top 2 for Lattimore until the end.  We are not even making the top 3 for these backs anymore.

48 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I appreciate your research on that.  If you still have it around, could you do the same but only use the 4 losses and show the percentages?  I'd guess it would be a LOT more skewed, but that's just a guess.

Remind me tomorrow if I don't get back to you.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Mike Dyer was just 8 years ago. He was a top 2 back. Roc Thomas was just 4 years ago, and he was a top 2 back, also.

According to the 247 composite, Dyer was actually the number one rated back. Thomas was fourth. 

34 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

We are not even making the top 3 for these backs anymore.

Yes we are. Still, coming in second or third brings no solace.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

We weren't getting them before last season and we're not getting them now, but the number of carries isn't why.

I agree and I have grown tired of the carries argument. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

My stance is it comes down to great salesmanship which is all recruiting is really. I dont doubt there are some who negative recruit vs AU for one reason or the other, but we have an overall RB history second to none. Maybe its time for a new RB coach/recruiter. 

I’m wondering if Horton needs to go as well. He’s coached several great backs but maybe it’s time for a new RB coach that can sell the RB recruits on being the BMOC. There are recruits out there that want to be BMOC. Can’t remember who it was but we got a RB partially because they weren’t interested in being the next T.J. Yeldon of Alabama.

Archived