The "Sh*thole Countries" Remark

AUDub

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, you and I are both very confident that he did indeed say it. But as long as you weren't in the room, you don't have to admit that. Bully for you!

LMAO. I love when a poster can say another thinks. Wish I had one of those crystal balls. Maybe you could admit maybe you are wrong? I sure don't know what was said but it seems to me that it is easily determined by the voice recording of the meeting. IF Trump did indeed say it, shame on him.......not a good choice of words.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

LMAO. I love when a poster can say another thinks. Wish I had one of those crystal balls. Maybe you could admit maybe you are wrong?

Why the hell would I admit that I am wrong? Do you even know what we're talking about? Are you doing your AI trollbot thing? Or are you really that touched? 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

He said it or something exactly like it. No intelligent person really believes otherwise.

ether

As you sometimes tell me.....proof? I don't know whether he said it or not. neither do you. But I wouldn't insult your intelligence overr it.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Why the hell would I admit that I am wrong? Do you even know what we're talking about? Are you doing your AI trollbot thing? Or are you really that touched? 

Naw just butting in like you do a lot.

19 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Naw just butting in like you do a lot.

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

It was a campaign statement. (He knows his base.) 

Good read.  And over a month old.

The G.O.P. Is Rotting

By David Brooks,  Dec. 7, 2017

A lot of good, honorable Republicans used to believe there was a safe middle ground. You didn’t have to tie yourself hip to hip with Donald Trump, but you didn’t have to go all the way to the other extreme and commit political suicide like the dissident Jeff Flake, either. You could sort of float along in the middle, and keep your head down until this whole Trump thing passed.

Now it’s clear that middle ground doesn’t exist. That’s because Donald Trump never stops asking. First, he asked the party to swallow the idea of a narcissistic sexual harasser and a routine liar as its party leader. Then he asked the party to accept his comprehensive ignorance and his politics of racial division. Now he asks the party to give up its reputation for fiscal conservatism. At the same time he asks the party to become the party of Roy Moore, the party of bigotry, alleged sexual harassment and child assault.

There is no end to what Trump will ask of his party. He is defined by shamelessness, and so there is no bottom. And apparently there is no end to what regular Republicans are willing to give him. Trump may soon ask them to accept his firing of Robert Mueller, and yes, after some sighing, they will accept that, too.

That’s the way these corrupt bargains always work. You think you’re only giving your tormentor a little piece of yourself, but he keeps asking and asking, and before long he owns your entire soul.

The Republican Party is doing harm to every cause it purports to serve. If Republicans accept Roy Moore as a United States senator, they may, for a couple years, have one more vote for a justice or a tax cut, but they will have made their party loathsome for an entire generation. The pro-life cause will be forever associated with moral hypocrisy on an epic scale. The word “evangelical” is already being discredited for an entire generation. Young people and people of color look at the Trump-Moore G.O.P. and they are repulsed, maybe forever.

You don’t help your cause by wrapping your arms around an alleged sexual predator and a patriarchic bigot. You don’t help your cause by putting the pursuit of power above character, by worshiping at the feet of some loutish man or another, by claiming the ends justify any means. You don’t successfully rationalize your own tawdriness by claiming your opponents are satanic. You don’t save Christianity by betraying its message.

“What shall it profit a man,” Jesus asked, “if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?” The current Republican Party seems to not understand that question. Donald Trump seems to have made gaining the world at the cost of his soul his entire life’s motto.

It’s amazing that there haven’t been more Republicans like Mitt Romney who have said: “Enough is enough! I can go no further!”

The reason, I guess, is that the rot that has brought us to the brink of Senator Roy Moore began long ago. Starting with Sarah Palin and the spread of Fox News, the G.O.P. traded an ethos of excellence for an ethos of hucksterism.

The Republican Party I grew up with admired excellence. It admired intellectual excellence (Milton Friedman, William F. Buckley), moral excellence (John Paul II, Natan Sharansky) and excellent leaders (James Baker, Jeane Kirkpatrick). Populism abandoned all that — and had to by its very nature. Excellence is hierarchical. Excellence requires work, time, experience and talent. Populism doesn’t believe in hierarchy. Populism doesn’t demand the effort required to understand the best that has been thought and said. Populism celebrates the quick slogan, the impulsive slash, the easy ignorant assertion. Populism is blind to mastery and embraces mediocrity.

Compare the tax cuts of the supply-side era with the tax cuts of today. There were three big cuts in the earlier era: the 1978 capital gains tax cut, the Kemp-Roth tax cut of 1981, and the 1986 tax reform. They were passed with bipartisan support, after a lengthy legislative process. All of them responded to the dominant problem of the moment, which was the stagflation and economic sclerosis. All rested on a body of serious intellectual work.

Liberals now associate supply-side economics with the Laffer Curve, but that was peripheral. Supply-side was based on Say’s Law, that supply creates its own demand. It was based on the idea that if you rearrange incentives for small entrepreneurs you are more likely to get start-ups and more innovation. Those cuts were embraced by Nobel Prize winners and represented an entire social vision, favoring the dispersed entrepreneurs over the concentrated corporate fat cats.

Today’s tax cuts have no bipartisan support. They have no intellectual grounding, no body of supporting evidence. They do not respond to the central crisis of our time. They have no vision of the common good, except that Republican donors should get more money and Democratic donors should have less.

The rot afflicting the G.O.P. is comprehensive — moral, intellectual, political and reputational. More and more former Republicans wake up every day and realize: “I’m homeless. I’m politically homeless.”

Link

At this point I simply can’t see how a conservative could look a concerned third-world immigrant (or descendent of a third-world immigrant) in the eye and assert that this president judges them fairly and without bias.

El Salvador's  population in the last census that I could find is a little over 8 million people.

Currently in the U.S. there are 1.1 million Salvadorian born immigrates.

I bet most of the 1.1 million think its a s***hole too!

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Our next president is going to have a Herculean task cleaning up after this clown.  It will take years. 

Began a year or so ago....

I don't understand how Haiti is still considered a s***hole. The Clinton foundation spent so much on the island.

4 minutes ago, WDavE said:

El Salvador's  population in the last census that I could find is a little over 8 million people.

Currently in the U.S. there are 1.1 million Salvadorian born immigrates.

I bet most of the 1.1 million think its a s***hole too!

Yes, when he expresses confusion about why we would allow immigrants from *hole countries, it requires a leap to infer that he means something negative about the immigrants. Totally.

Please take a break and do some self examination

21 minutes ago, WDavE said:

Began a year or so ago....

I don't understand how Haiti is still considered a s***hole. The Clinton foundation spent so much on the island.

Your problem is obvious.

Image result for head in ass

5 hours ago, AUDub said:

Hey, the USSR had great aircraft, made some excellent progress in the hard sciences and had a competitive space program. Life was surely honky-dory there, right? 

Communism is wonderful, isn't it? Some of you sympathizers and egalitarians on here should take notes ;)

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Definitely! Most Chinese folks have it really great, too. Really, the world is a big ol' bouquet of roses except for a few sh**holes where the brown folks live. 

A ****hole country is a place where nothing flourishes.  Nothing is produced.  No knowledge is discovered. No advancements are made.

What you are describing are in fact countries that were only inhospitable due to tyrannical government systems, not because of a lack of aptitude.  Like I told homer: you shouldn't have to think too hard to comprehend the difference between Germany in 1885 and for instance Somalia.  Even under "mass emigration" Germany was a power in 1885: a leader in engineering, pharmacology (Bayer ring a bell?), music (the Germans dominated piano manufacturing, and they didn't even invent the instrument), academia, etc.  What does Somalia lead the world in? Pirating? This is why immigrants from countries like Germany went away and did amazing things in countries like America.  Immigrants from countries like Somalia, regardless of where they go, are generally problematic in one way or another, and as a whole are a hell of a lot less successful than immigrants from countries that actually accomplished something.   Nobody wants to man up and admit it, but that is the truth.  You don't hear about anyone complaining about Chinese immigration because they are a hard-working, intelligent, and law-abiding nation of people.

30 minutes ago, metafour said:

A ****hole country is a place where nothing flourishes.  Nothing is produced.  No knowledge is discovered. No advancements are made.

What you are describing are in fact countries that were only inhospitable due to tyrannical government systems, not because of a lack of aptitude.  Like I told homer: you shouldn't have to think too hard to comprehend the difference between Germany in 1885 and for instance Somalia.  Even under "mass emigration" Germany was a power in 1885: a leader in engineering, pharmacology (Bayer ring a bell?), music (the Germans dominated piano manufacturing, and they didn't even invent the instrument), academia, etc.  What does Somalia lead the world in? Pirating? This is why immigrants from countries like Germany went away and did amazing things in countries like America.  Immigrants from countries like Somalia, regardless of where they go, are generally problematic in one way or another, and as a whole are a hell of a lot less successful than immigrants from countries that actually accomplished something.   Nobody wants to man up and admit it, but that is the truth.  You don't hear about anyone complaining about Chinese immigration because they are a hard-working, intelligent, and law-abiding nation of people.

Neither of us have a problem understanding the difference between Germany and the kinds of countries that Trump was referring to. However, you seem to want to claim ownership of the definition of the word s*** hole and you are wrong about that. Also, if you think that there aren't several immigrant populations in the United States who aren't also law-abiding and hard-working but who are very heavily discriminated against then you are... Actually you know this is true. I know you do. And I also know that you know that Chinese immigrants to the United States have been heavily discriminated against in myriad ways. And intensely so, especially in the early 20th century.

Edit: and if you think that poor Chinese people in the United States, just like many poor people from every population, don't do some really shady crap then actually I take back anything about you knowing anything.

4 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

LMAO. I love when a poster can say another thinks. Wish I had one of those crystal balls. Maybe you could admit maybe you are wrong? I sure don't know what was said but it seems to me that it is easily determined by the voice recording of the meeting. IF Trump did indeed say it, shame on him.......not a good choice of words.

Oh look! It's completely change his post well after the fact guy! 

F***in clown town around here. But props for paying lip service to decency and dignity, I guess. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I could not possibly think of a less valuable use of my time. 

You have wasted a lot of time here today but now have to punt.

Archived