The "Sh*thole Countries" Remark

AUDub

"The US government’s Africa Media Hub made an effort to limit the diplomatic damage of the president’s words.

Without directly referring to Trump’s statement, a tweet said the “US remains committed to working together w/Africans to realize the promise of a more peaceful, more productive, more prosperous 21st century Africa. US deeply respects the people of #Africa & values its partnerships with them.”

(op. cit.)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Thanks for being honest about it.

Levity needed.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Are you suggesting that anyone who commits the crime of illegally immigrating, is also a rapist and murderer?  Or are you saying the crimes are equivalent?

Neither. I am saying that some illegal immigrants are also rapists. Thus, some are not. I mean it in the same way our President did when he made that statement on the campaign trail way back when. 

I used the the "world" in the exact same sense as the following article used "global":

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/12/unkind-divisive-elitist-international-outcry-over-trumps-****hole-countries-remark

'There's no other word but racist': Trump's global rebuke for '****hole' remark

excerpt: 

US diplomats around the world were summoned for formal reproach, amid global shock that such crude remarks could ever be made in a semi-public meeting by the president of America.

In a strongly-worded statement, the UN said it was impossible to describe his remarks as anything other than racist, while the Vatican decried Trump’s words as “particularly harsh and offensive”.

So, some diplomats, but not all. No, I don't care. 

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

Neither. I am saying that some illegal immigrants are also rapists. Thus, some are not. I mean it in the same way our President did when he made that statement on the campaign trail way back when. 

And - no doubt - some legal immigrants are rapists.  So does that justify opposing legal immigration?  

Using a term like "rapists" in association with a class of people doesn't really have any logical use other than to disparage that class of people -  or more accurately in this case - to play to the xenophobia of your intended supporters.   

Just now, homersapien said:

And - no doubt - some legal immigrants are rapists.  So does that justify opposing legal immigration?  

Using a term like "rapists" in association with a class of people doesn't really have any logical use other than to disparage that class of people -  or more accurately in this case - to play to the xenophobia of your intended supporters.   

Illegal immigration justifies opposing illegal immigration. The addition of committing violent acts against US citizens on our soil.. c'mon now....

Are you implying that his comments were unfair towards the other, non-rape illegal immigrants? Is that what this is about?

2 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

So, some diplomats, but not all. No, I don't care. 

Well, I don't think this is an issue that should be resolved by quantifying the number of professionals that approve or disapprove of such a statement by the president,  But I am very curious if you can identify one of these diplomats that agree professionally with what he said.  Know of any?  

It's a damn good thing you aren't a diplomat.  Too bad you're a deplorable

11 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Illegal immigration justifies opposing illegal immigration.

The addition of committing violent acts against US citizens on our soil.. c'mon now....

I agree with the first sentence, which actually makes my point.  What I am asking is how exactly does "rape" fit in with this logic?

After all, some illegal immigrants make positive contributions to the country, including serving in the armed forces.

I don't understand your second sentence. You'll need to re-work it.

26 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Are you implying that his comments were unfair towards the other, non-rape illegal immigrants? Is that what this is about?

No, I am stating that Trump is using "rape" uneccessarily to disparage a class of people - immigrants (illegal or otherwise). 

And he is doing this to pander and inflame the inherent xenophobia of his intended supporters.  Classic popularism, if you will.

His comment of "I suppose some aren't (rapists)" was a half-assed attempt to attenuate or obscure his actual intent for people who are willing to accept it (such as yourself).

Well, I don't think this is an issue that should be resolved by quantifying the number of professionals that approve or disapprove of such a statement by the president,  But I am very curious if you can identify one of these diplomats that agree professionally with what he said.  Know of any?  

It's a damn good thing you aren't a diplomat.  Too bad you're a diplorable

Do i know of any diplomats that agree with the alleged use of "****hole countries"? No, I do not know of any. I would assume that the only public opinions that have been reported in the MSM are negative. So what? 

By the way, it is spelled "deplorable." Please don't embarrass Auburn by making such blatant spelling errors. 

No, I am stating that Trump is using "rape" uneccessarily to disparage a class of people - immigrants (illegal or otherwise). 

And he is doing this to pander and inflame the inherent xenophobia of his intended supporters.  Classic popularism, if you will.

His comment of "I suppose some aren't (rapists)" was a half-assed attempt to attenuate or obscure his actual intent for people who are willing to accept it (such as yourself).

Some are rapists, some are murders, some are thieves. Does that upset you Homie? Why do you get so offensive when problems associated with illegal immigration are brought to light? It highlights the ramifications of illegal immigration. Ostensibly, a patriot like yourself should care about minimizing said ramifications when limelighted on a national scale.  

I agree with the first sentence, which actually makes my point.  What I am asking is how exactly does "rape" fit in with this logic?

After all, some illegal immigrants make positive contributions to the country, including serving in the armed forces.

I don't understand your second sentence. You'll need to re-work it.

It fits in because illegal immigrants shouldn't be here in the first place, i.e., they shouldn't even have the opportunity to commit crimes in America, which includes rape. 

It's not a hill to die on. Unfortunate that the lefties have no agenda to press forth in 2018 or 2020. Silly discussions such as a term allegedly used in a closed door meeting is instead center of attention. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

Well every illegal immigrant is a criminal.

Exactly. So why do we allow then to vote for who runs our gov't?

29 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Do i know of any diplomats that agree with the alleged use of "****hole countries"? No, I do not know of any. I would assume that the only public opinions that have been reported in the MSM are negative. So what? 

By the way, it is spelled "deplorable." Please don't embarrass Auburn by making such blatant spelling errors.

The fact no professional diplomats would support such terminology publicly sort of makes my point, does it not?    

And thanks for pointing out my typo.  But I don't think such a spelling error is enough to embarrass Auburn University, especially considering the sort of values presented by the Trump supporters on this forum.

23 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Exactly. So why do we allow then to vote for who runs our gov't?

Who "allows" that?

(Or are you referring to Trump's claim he actually won the popular vote? :rolleyes:)

34 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Some are rapists, some are murders, some are thieves. Does that upset you Homie? Why do you get so offensive when problems associated with illegal immigration are brought to light? It highlights the ramifications of illegal immigration. Ostensibly, a patriot like yourself should care about minimizing said ramifications when limelighted on a national scale.  

To the extent rapists, murderers and thieves exist in the world, yes.

My point is these are problems associated with humanity, not immigrants per se'.  More specifically, the terminology has been used by Trump to specifically incite the deplorables who support him.

And yes, I would certain want to minimize the activity or presence of all rapists, murderers and thieves, regardless if they are first generation immigrants.

My point point is that the need to minimize illegal immigration needs no such rationale.  The fact illegal immigration is illegal is quite sufficient as a reason for doing that. 

Ostensibly, a rational, compassionate person would accept that without feeling such a need to demonize a class of people who are - for the most part - innocent.  

46 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

It fits in because illegal immigrants shouldn't be here in the first place, i.e., they shouldn't even have the opportunity to commit crimes in America, which includes rape. 

Again, that reasoning would be equally true for legal immigrants.   Do you support eliminating all immigration?

(This was addressed earlier. Are you even reading my posts? )

54 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Silly discussions such as a term allegedly used in a closed door meeting is instead center of attention.

You need to settle on a single excuse. 

Either he never said it, or he said it but it's inconsequential.  Simultaneously playing all the options reveals a basic lack of conviction or values. 

It's like saying, "if Trump did it, then it's OK.  But if it's not OK, then he didn't do it".  

15 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Some are rapists, some are murders,

It's "murderers". If you're going to be a jackass about typos, you'd best not make any of your own. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's "murderers". If you're going to be a jackass about typos, you'd best not make any of your own. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR--jKJK3drlQ_Cy_uuZTm

15 hours ago, homersapien said:

Again, that reasoning would be equally true for legal immigrants.   Do you support eliminating all immigration?

(This was addressed earlier. Are you even reading my posts? )

Wrong. The rape comment we are now focusing on was applied to illegal immigration. 

16 hours ago, homersapien said:

The fact no professional diplomats would support such terminology publicly sort of makes my point, does it not?    

And thanks for pointing out my typo.  But I don't think such a spelling error is enough to embarrass Auburn University, especially considering the sort of values presented by the Trump supporters on this forum.

"Professional diplomats" - as opposed to.....?? 

Do you remember saying what's below this? 

18 hours ago, homersapien said:

I don't think this is an issue that should be resolved by quantifying the number of professionals that approve or disapprove of such a statement by the president

How do you reconcile these two comments?

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

Homer once told me I was an embarrassment to Auburn University because of an alleged typo. Funny thing - I actually used the correct word that he claimed was improper. Unfortunately an admin came to his resume and erased the comments. 

Additionally, "It's "murderers"" is not a full sentence. If you're going to accuse another of being a jackass about typos, you'd best not write incomplete sentences. :) Please see the above response to BB. I should've provided context. 

It's not so much that your argument is irrelevant and inapplicable, but more that it took you that long to come up with it. Yikes.

Also, I think you meant "rescue". You're tackling this about as well as Marcus Williams tackled Stefon Diggs the other night. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's not so much that your argument is irrelevant and inapplicable, but more that it took you that long to come up with it. Yikes.

Also, I think you meant "rescue". You're tackling this about as well as Marcus Williams tackled Stefon Diggs the other night. 

You lost me on that one Loof. Remember, I’m a deplorable.

Go Saints. Love my team. MW did great things for us this season. It’s okay to take a jab though. I expect no less. Hell even CNN and Fox were talking about the game. I can’t escape it.

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

Can you summarize?  I don't have a script and I've apparently viewed WaPo too much this month.

3 minutes ago, HVAU said:

Can you summarize?  I don't have a script and I've apparently viewed WaPo too much this month.

Here's the lede:

There is no honor among anti-immigrant advocates and liars, I suppose. After dutifully lying on behalf of the president regarding his abhorrent language (“****hole countries”), Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and David Perdue (R-Ga.) were outed by the White House. The Post reports:

Three White House officials said Perdue and Cotton told the White House that they heard “shithouse” rather than “****hole,” allowing them to deny the president’s comments on television over the weekend. The two men initially said publicly that they could not recall what the president said.

Not only did these two repeatedly lie, but Cotton also impugned the integrity of Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), who told the truth. Asked whether the accusation that Trump spoke the offending words or the sentiment was phony, Cotton lied, “Yes.” He went on to say, “Senator Durbin has misrepresented what happened in White House meetings before, and he was corrected by Obama administration officials by it.”

Honorable men would resign after such a remarkable revelation of their crummy character; neither Cotton nor Perdue will. We still await the appearance of a single staffer of either who would quit in protest.

What browser are you using?

Archived