Theft attempt of laptop before Peach Bowl

WFE12

Someone attempted to steal Auburn defensive staffer's laptop before Peach Bowl

By James Crepea

Like Alabama, an Auburn defensive staff member was nearly the victim of theft at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis before the Peach Bowl.

An unidentified person attempted to take a laptop belonging to an Auburn defensive staff member from a private meeting room at the downtown hotel, a source with knowledge of the matter confirmed. Security stopped the unknown male from stealing, but he got away before being detained, the source said of the incident, which was first reported by AuburnUndercover.com.

Auburn lost the Peach Bowl against UCF, 34-27, on Jan. 1.

A spokesman for the Peach Bowl did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A backpack belonging to Alabama defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, which contained a playbook and personnel belongings, was stolen from a meeting room at the hotel on Saturday, according to an incident report obtained by AL.com.

The bag also contained Dunbar's wallet, $1,320 in cash, two cellphones, a passport, an iPad, sunglasses and reading glasses. Some of those items were later found inside of a hotel bathroom after hotel security was informed of the incident, according to the incident report.

Why the Friday are you carrying around $1,320 in cash?  actually the more I think about that list of stuff in a backpack he was going to make a run for the border!

1 hour ago, eibua12 said:

Why the Friday are you carrying around $1,320 in cash?  actually the more I think about that list of stuff in a backpack he was going to make a run for the border!

I thought about that too.  The "ATL" is known for their...um....er....gentleman's clubs.

Also...(if he's married) wonder if his wife is demanding to know what the 2nd cellphone is for yet?

Edit: (Comments meant as my feable attempt at humor only.:-\

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I thought about that too.  The "ATL" is known for their...um....er....gentleman's clubs.

Also...(if he's married) wonder if his wife is demanding to know what the 2nd cellphone is for yet?

I of course wouldn't know about any "gentleman's clubs", but there is a nice shoe show on Spring Street...

(or so I've been told)

31 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

While I can't defend his questionably large sums of cash...I can say that many football coaches have a work cellphone provided to them. I know some of Auburn's coaches get one.

so both teams played Georgia and both teams had someone trying to steal game planning info. this could be a big deal. I mean any chance this was a directed effort? what if the criminal has ties to Georgia?

1 hour ago, eibua12 said:

We’re there any recruits visiting that game?  Just sayin.

1 minute ago, shabby said:

I mean any chance this was a directed effort? what if the criminal has ties to Georgia?

That would be wonderful and unsurprising. They have had three players arrested since making it to the CFP after all.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Lol. He could easily just say it was a work cellphone. It ain't that serious.

17 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Lol. He could easily just say it was a work cellphone. It ain't that serious.

If he had something nefarious going on, I hope he would have sense not to mention everything in the bag. 

14 hours ago, WFE12 said:

The bag also contained Dunbar's wallet, $1,320 in cash

We may have found our bag man. Were there any recruits at the game?

Didn't someone steal Al Borges' laptop or something similar with our playbook at one point while he was at AU?

9 hours ago, eibua12 said:

I would imagine an individual who has no qualms about stealing a laptop also wouldn’t mind rifling through purses and wallets. 

Maybe they rename it the Poach Bowl after this. :dunno:

Archived