Softball Practice 2018 Season

This might be good place for observations and news articles about practice leading up to the season.  The following is just a jumble of thoughts after attending practice (in the company of Mrs. Slot) yesterday.  There is a lot happening at any one time so a lot goes unnoticed on my part.  

Softball Practice Thursday,  January 11, 2018

Walking Wounded: Tannon Snow and Schiele did not participate in any fielding or base running drills but did hit some batting practice.  Greenwood as previously noted in arm sling (redshirt).  Dakota Morrow did not practice and had obvious limp. 

A number of the players looked to be trimmer than last fall.  Compared to a lot of teams I see they are a very trim looking group.  Where’s the Beef?  There ain’t none. 

After general warm up moved to some base running with sacrifice situations and bunts and steals.  I should mention there was not any “live pitching” by our staff during this practice.  Again, it appears Coach Dean will not hesitate to move runners either by steals or sacrifice plays. 

Carosone worked some drills with the catchers.  Passed balls and pop ups.  I feel Shea has taken to her role as lead catcher and upped her game.  She was active in providing instruction to Tisser and Gutierrez.  Tissier seems to have a tad more quickness than Gutierrez.  No reps by Veach during this practice. 

McCrackin played a lot at 3rd and just a bit at SS.  She was also stroking the ball well in batting drills.  Taylon Snow vast majority of time at SS.  Again what can you say…she just knows what to do.  When ever a ball is hit her way it is as though she is thinking to herself “OK, I have seen this 1,000 times and know how to handle it.”  Can’t believe she is a freshman.  Still appears to be the competition at 2nd between KK and Makenna.  In terms of batting, KK appears to be more of a slapper/ball placement type hitter while Makenna shows more power and also appears to be good bunter. I like both of them. 

In batting practice people I recall hitting HR’s were Perry, Podany, Tisser (2) Fornis, Veach , McCrackin, Olszewski and Rivera.  Bree Fornis hits some good line shots and has nice stroke.  Also, Makayla Martin hit batting practice and connected on a few good balls.  She appeared to be having a good time.  Again this was hitting against pitching machines and GA’s pitching. Nice over cast day with temps mid 60's for the most part. 

Thanks for the notes, Slot.  I think you meant Makenna, not Makayla, in the 2B discussion.  Interesting to me that Martin keeps taking batting practice, while the pitchers who have been touted as  hitters (Swindle and Harris) apparently do not. 

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Thanks for the notes, Slot.  I think you meant Makenna, not Makayla, in the 2B discussion.  Interesting to me that Martin keeps taking batting practice, while the pitchers who have been touted as  hitters (Swindle and Harris) apparently do not. 

Thanks....corrected.

Any schedule of practice being open to the public?  I saw a schedule for the first week but haven't seen a schedule for theupcoming week.  Would like to stop by if I could.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:47 PM, GBAU83 said:

Any schedule of practice being open to the public?  I saw a schedule for the first week but haven't seen a schedule for theupcoming week.  Would like to stop by if I could.

I believe Coach said all practices are open to the public.

AUBURN SOFTBALL PRACTICE SCHEDULE

Week of Jan. 15-Jan. 21

Monday, Jan. 15
1-4 pm

Tuesday, Jan. 16
3:30-6 pm

Wednesday, Jan. 17
3:30-6:30 pm

Thursday, Jan. 18
3:30-6 pm

Friday, Jan. 19
No practice

Saturday, Jan. 20
1-4 pm

Sunday, Jan. 21
1-3:30 pm

RULES AND GUIDELINES

• All practices are held at Jane B. Moore Field unless otherwise noted
  • Practice times and dates are subject to change due to weather, temperatures, etc.
  • Filming of any portion practice will not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the facility
  • Fans are not allowed on to the field, in the batting cages or inside the dugouts at any time
  • Fans are not allowed behind the outfield wall along the gravel during any portion of practice
  • Concessions will not be opened during scheduled practice times

Thanks, had not seen the schedule for this week.

I presume you attempted to get into the main entrance from the parking lot.  I have been to a number of practices and never had difficulty gaining entrance there.  Since all outdoor practices are stated to be "open" I wonder if due to the MLK holiday  a University employee who would have been responsible for unlocking the gate was Off.  Unfortunate if that was the case.

53 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I presume you attempted to get into the main entrance from the parking lot.  I have been to a number of practices and never had difficulty gaining entrance there.  Since all outdoor practices are stated to be "open" I wonder if due to the MLK holiday  a University employee who would have been responsible for unlocking the gate was Off.  Unfortunate if that was the case.

I guess it was due to MLK holiday as well.  No big deal, we live maybe 4 miles away, retired.  We watch practice a few times a year.  My wife was out of town visiting with her sisters, and  I just decided to get some exercise and watch practice.  I am sure I could have gone in the back way.  

Practice related pod cast on the Auburn Athletic site 1-16-2018. ( I believe this will be weekly) Some of the points related to finishing up strength workouts this week. He places a lot of emphasis on leg strength and feels it is necessary in order to be strong late in the season. Also good comments relating to the selection of coach Ketelhut and his criteria for assistant coaches. Current assessment is that the team is athletic but wants improvement in hitting. Talked about wanting to pressure defenses with unpredictable base running. In establishing a lineup he stated that some players are not "practice players" and will use preseason games to see how players perform. If you are interested in softball the 9 minute podcast is a good listen. There have been several print articles in the last 24 articles and Phillip Marshall had a couple of pretty good ones on Auburn Undercover. Some goes to the different philosophy regarding strength training and pitching. Also cover current injuries to Tannon and Taylon Snow, Chardonnay Harris and recovery progress of Veach. Also some similar info in AL.com and Auburn-Opelika news.

New podcast up today on Auburn Athletic site.  I linked to it from the softball twitter link.  Most of the content related to pitchers and catchers.  He does say that Shea and Veach are the "frontrunners".  Some interesting bits of info.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Are the infielders still doing the “hop” or did that go away with Myers?

I went to a practice last week and did not see anyone "hop." Last fall I saw a few doing the "hop."   My guess it will go away with the new players.  

On 1/23/2018 at 12:01 PM, slot canyon said:

New podcast up today on Auburn Athletic site.  I linked to it from the softball twitter link.  Most of the content related to pitchers and catchers.  He does say that Shea and Veach are the "frontrunners".  Some interesting bits of info.

Burcham said that next week they will talk position players.  that may answer some questions.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:13 AM, tallgraycat said:

I went to a practice last week and did not see anyone "hop." Last fall I saw a few doing the "hop."   My guess it will go away with the new players.  

Hate to hear that. I think it helps the defense but whatever coach thinks is best. 

On 1/25/2018 at 9:13 AM, tallgraycat said:

There appears to be an effort to avoid anything specific that the previous regime did, from philosophy, to technique, to film, to team rules.  A couple of prospective hires for the staff felt it was almost too extreme the other way (and on purpose) for them to feel comfortable enough to join.  The vibe and feel from this group is definitely different, but that was probably to be expected to some degree.  From the practices, camps, and scrimmages there has been a different vibe and disconnect.  That could just due to the stage of their progress as a group.  Maybe it is a good thing, maybe a bad thing, but only time will tell when it hits SEC play.  Hoping it all comes together for the best for them.

So was able to stop by practice today and they were doing some scrimmage work.  Each pitcher would get 3 outs, and bring in next pitcher, then some defensive swaps and so-on.  Not sure when they started but was going when I arrived.  Pitchers rotating were Carlson, Swindle and Bilodeau.  Maykala Martin did not pitch but did bat.  Through about the first six 3-out sessions, only saw 2 hits.  Then we starting hitting the ball, not great and not consistent but did put some runners on base and brought a few across the plate.  I know it was a practice and Coach working with them about plays and where to take the ball and pushing on some of the base running.

Hard to say on the line-up as it was a mix with some of the players moving around (at one time even had Rivera at 1st Base).  But from what I could see, this is what I believe is shaping up:
P - Carlson will be the main starter, can easily see Bilodeau getting some starts (she has some power in her pitches), still think Swindle will be more relief/change-of-speed role.  Did not see Harris (the lefty) or Martin pitch, so no comment on them.
C - Shea will be the main behind the plate; however, she does not have the arm to 2nd like Veach.  Tissier had some time behind the plate but did not see her make a throw to 2nd.
1st - Justus Perry: had a good bit of time there and looked comfortable; some good hard hits up the middle; thought Tannon Snow was to play 1st but don't recall seeing her there, may still be slow on the medical recovery
2nd - KK Crocker
SS - Taylon Snow, with Casey McCrackin as the ready back-up
3rd - Veach; she will also see some time behind the plate; had some play by McKenna Dowell at 3rd and no visible drop off in defense, so she will probably be at 3rd if/when Veach goes to catcher
LF - Morgan Podany - not sure with some others who may play but she was making solid contact with the bat 
CF - Draper
RF - Rivera

I did see Tannon Snow bat once or twice, don't recall seeing her in the field. Olszewski batted and may have had some time in outfield but nothing I noticed that would put her at a starting role.  Did not see/notice Schiele.  Fornis, Maresette, Morrow, Guiterez not anything noticeable but Fornis and Maresette both had some at bats.  Greenwood (I believe it was her) with arm in a sling.

And Emily Carosone was 1st base coach, Dean 3rd base coach, Ketelhut addressing batters and Annie Smith calling pitches.  Good to see some action, even if was us-on-us.  Got my season tickets this week and ready for the season to begin.

Saw piece on al.com indicating that Tannon Snow will just hit this year....or at least to start....no time in the field and the health issue was mentioned as the reason....so looking like she will be the DH or DP....whichever they call it. 

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

So was able to stop by practice today and they were doing some scrimmage work.  Each pitcher would get 3 outs, and bring in next pitcher, then some defensive swaps and so-on.  Not sure when they started but was going when I arrived.  Pitchers rotating were Carlson, Swindle and Bilodeau.  Maykala Martin did not pitch but did bat.  Through about the first six 3-out sessions, only saw 2 hits.  Then we starting hitting the ball, not great and not consistent but did put some runners on base and brought a few across the plate.  I know it was a practice and Coach working with them about plays and where to take the ball and pushing on some of the base running.

Hard to say on the line-up as it was a mix with some of the players moving around (at one time even had Rivera at 1st Base).  But from what I could see, this is what I believe is shaping up:
P - Carlson will be the main starter, can easily see Bilodeau getting some starts (she has some power in her pitches), still think Swindle will be more relief/change-of-speed role.  Did not see Harris (the lefty) or Martin pitch, so no comment on them.
C - Shea will be the main behind the plate; however, she does not have the arm to 2nd like Veach.  Tissier had some time behind the plate but did not see her make a throw to 2nd.
1st - Justus Perry: had a good bit of time there and looked comfortable; some good hard hits up the middle; thought Tannon Snow was to play 1st but don't recall seeing her there, may still be slow on the medical recovery
2nd - KK Crocker
3rd - Veach; she will also see some time behind the plate; had some play by McKenna Dowell at 3rd and no visible drop off in defense, so she will probably be at 3rd if/when Veach goes to catcher
LF - Morgan Podany - not sure with some others who may play but she was making solid contact with the bat 
CF - Draper
RF - Rivera

I did see Tannon Snow bat once or twice, don't recall seeing her in the field. Olszewski batted and may have had some time in outfield but nothing I noticed that would put her at a starting role.  Did not see/notice Schiele.  Fornis, Maresette, Morrow, Guiterez not anything noticeable but Fornis and Maresette both had some at bats.  Greenwood (I believe it was her) with arm in a sling.

And Emily Carosone was 1st base coach, Dean 3rd base coach, Ketelhut addressing batters and Annie Smith calling pitches.  Good to see some action, even if was us-on-us.  Got my season tickets this week and ready for the season to begin.

Nice report.  Thank you. 

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

2nd - KK Crocker
CF - Draper
RF - Rivera

It was reported earlier in the week that Tannon Snow will be used as a designated hitter only. 

Thanks for the report GBA.  Schiele and Greenwood will redshirt due to surgeries.  Harris apparently has an arm issue but I get the impression she will resume pitching very soon.  AL.Com has actually had a couple of recent articles on the softball practices/players.  Also Phillip Marshall had one on Auburn Undercover.  I guess what has surprised me is the moves of Rivera in the rotation at 1st (she played at 3rd in HS I believe) and Dowell in rotation at 3rd.  

Crepea also reported that Taylon Snow has plantar fascitis, and is being held out of fielding for a few days.  That is troubling, as I believe that is a condition that can recur. She did have three hits yesterday.  

Archived