2018 or 2019 Grad Transfer OT Calvin Anderson

ellitor

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. I thought we were zone blocking in '13 and '14, too. Shows how little I know. Many thanks for the education. 

I could be wrong.  Darn sure would not be the first time.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

There is a huge difference in the way we block now vs when Grimes was here.  First of all, someone would say we don't block at all now.  haha  But seriously, when Grimes was here before we were doing more straight up blocking or pulling to block.  Last year we changed all that for the new O and it is all zone blocking now.  This is a completely different philosophy and complete different talent required.  Typically zone blocking OL are smaller and more agile while what Grimes was doing before is more road grader types.

I don't see how different blocking scheme would require different talent on the oline. Whether you are blocking the man up, blocking an area, or pulling and blocking you are still blocking. I mean you want to emphasize OG with good footwork if you are doing a lot of pull blocking but its not like you don't want that regardless of blocking scheme. This ain't option vs west coast schemes we are talking here where you need a specific type of talent to run the O. We want big ugglies who eat people and can move end of story. Now you may adjust some things based on what you have (i.e more zone if you have an oline that can't move) but "completely different talent" is a bit much.

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don't see how different blocking scheme would require different talent on the oline. Whether you are blocking the man up, blocking an area, or pulling and blocking you are still blocking. I mean you want to emphasize OG with good footwork if you are doing a lot of pull blocking but its not like you don't want that regardless of blocking scheme. This ain't option vs west coast schemes we are talking here where you need a specific type of talent to run the O. We want big ugglies who eat people and can move end of story. Now you may adjust some things based on what you have (i.e more zone if you have an oline that can't move) but "completely different talent" is a bit much.

Maybe "completely" was to all-encompassing.  Bottom line is that zone blocking uses quicker more agile OL.  Take the OL at Arkansas a few years ago.  they were averaging something like 340 (or something crazy like that).  They were averaging larger than any OL in football including NFL.  Now with that OL, they wanted to be road graders.  Fire off the ball and block guy in front of you.  Conversly take the OL from Denver Broncos when Elway won SB.  They were the smallest OL in the NFL.  They did nothing but zone blocking.  It is a different scheme and style of blocking.  Just like on the other side of the ball the difference of running a 3-4 vs 4-3.  It takes different type of linemen.  Not saying some can't play in either scheme (and even thrive).  But in general you are looking for a different type of linemen based on the scheme you want to run.

17 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Some positions do require different skill sets. Honestly, I don't see offensive line as one of those areas. The technique and being comfortable with it can be a factor but outside of that, blocking schemes largely stay the same.

Wonder what was running through Calvin's mind during his Rice tenure. They had truly one of the worst offenses in the country the last 2 seasons, going 4-19 and getting punked by both opposing elite and minnow defenses.

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

Some positions do require different skill sets. Honestly, I don't see offensive line as one of those areas. The technique and being comfortable with it can be a factor but outside of that, blocking schemes largely stay the same.

I’m not versed enough in blocking schemes to make a definitive statement but my point is based on Greg Robinson. He did well at AUburn primarily straight ahead run blocking. Some of that had to do with more atheleticisim and some scheme. He was unable to transition successfully to the NFL because of the more complicated pass blocking schemes. He even struggled at guard because the were different. 

22 hours ago, Zeek said:

I suppose I will have to disagree with this--in the NFL, there are some OL that have a zone blocking skill set (e.g., Denver under Mike Shanahan), while others (like Pittsburgh's) are predominantly skilled at power blocking. It's similar in college--Auburn's has been mostly zone blocking, while Alabama's has traditionally been power blocking under Saban. Look how NFL teams recruit free agent OL--it is largely based on what kind of blocking scheme they employ. Of course, there are a select few OL that are both fast and strong and can play either scheme, but they are just that, exceptions to the rule. My senior year in high school, I ended up playing right guard at 152 lbs--there was no way I was going to power block 90% of the DL I faced, and it was true of most of the linemen we had. Eventually, the head coach employed zone blocking type schemes (sweeps, pulls, reverses) to allow us to run the ball; primitive example, but is still mostly applicable.

I think we have a decent shot at signing Calvin. He has made it clear he wants to play in the SEC. I think Grimes will have our guys blocking much more physical. Gus figured out that the best way to improve our offense needs to start with the OL. I think we will see better stats in 2019 than in 2018 with more consistency. Grimes will get the most out of his linemen. I am still confounded as to why UT hired Hand.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think we have a decent shot at signing Calvin. He has made it clear he wants to play in the SEC. I think Grimes will have our guys blocking much more physical. Gus figured out that the best way to improve our offense needs to start with the OL. I think we will see better stats in 2019 than in 2018 with more consistency. Grimes will get the most out of his linemen. I am still confounded as to why UT hired Hand.

He's only visiting one SEC team. That statement isn't correct. FWIW. Our coaches are not very confident he signs with AU. Most think he stays home and plays for Texas. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He's only visiting one SEC team. That statement isn't correct. FWIW. Our coaches are not very confident he signs with AU. Most think he stays home and plays for Texas. 

I love your Avatar.  Thats a look of confidence for sure lol.  He looks like someone asked him what a two back set is.  That is too funny.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

I love your Avatar.  Thats a look of confidence for sure lol.  He looks like someone asked him what a two back set is.  That is too funny.

Either that or he ate a bad peanut.

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

that was the interview during 2013 against arky and burt where we had a guy purposely fall to the ground and feign injury to make a point to brett about the "dangers" of player safety and going to fast and when asked about he gave a I DUNNO answer. It was hilarious.

9 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I hope you are wrong on this one. If he stays home, then it is his loss for sure! I got my information from SEC Country that stated he wants to play for an SEC team in that he feels like he has a better chance of getting into the pros playing for an SEC team.

13 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hope you are wrong on this one. If he stays home, then it is his loss for sure! I got my information from SEC Country that stated he wants to play for an SEC team in that he feels like he has a better chance of getting into the pros playing for an SEC team.

I’d love to land the kid. But it’s been a uphill battle from the start. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I’d love to land the kid. But it’s been a uphill battle from the start. 

A question my friend...are you the guy wearing the number 19 Auburn jersey? Pretty cool pic!

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Physically or mentally?

looks like he is into his game no doubt!

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No. Grown men should never wear jerseys. 

just joking with you my friend! It is one of the funniest pics out there!

Michigan's O-Line coach left... Not our main competition but it doesn't hurt.

Archived