2018 or 2019 Grad Transfer OT Calvin Anderson

ellitor

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still need either a juco college transfer or a grad transfer. We did not do well in signing tight ends, o-linemen or cornerbacks.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

We still need either a juco college transfer or a grad transfer. We did not do well in signing tight ends, o-linemen or cornerbacks.

Well... you’re not wrong... I guess 

On 2/28/2018 at 3:06 PM, McLoofus said:

More like archiTORTURE, amirite?!? LOL!!

-a lot of architecture majors

You get me, man. You get me.

46 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Texas. 

wasn't that the favorite all along? IDK why it has taken so long.

It’s not until Saturday right!

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

wasn't that the favorite all along? IDK why it has taken so long.

It hasn't He originally planned to not to commit til March 25th.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Texas. 

Had a feeling. I think we'll be good with Tega and Ashley.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The coaches are expecting Calvin to choose Texas, which was/is the huge favorite all along. 

Sucks cause we REALLY need a graduate transfer now to come in. I am not convinced the players we have on the team now are quite good enough to give us a really good O line. Really really need someone else to come in and help out like we had last year with Casey Dunn. 

I personally feel like Ashley is the right guy to start at right tackle. Big time recruit and talent that we need to have on the field and find out what he is made of considering he looks to be our LT of the future. Tega has the experience at LT for us and is solid - but has his flaws. Maybe some of that gets worked on over the summer - but he needs to take a big ol' step forward because we need Stidham to have elite talent over there come Amen Corner. We need depth and Anderson needs to start. As much as I would like to have the guy I think this is an oval peg in a round hole. Close but no cigar.

1 minute ago, AUcivE09 said:

I personally feel like Ashley is the right guy to start at right tackle. Big time recruit and talent that we need to have on the field and find out what he is made of considering he looks to be our LT of the future. Tega has the experience at LT for us and is solid - but has his flaws. Maybe some of that gets worked on over the summer - but he needs to take a big ol' step forward because we need Stidham to have elite talent over there come Amen Corner. We need depth and Anderson needs to start. As much as I would like to have the guy I think this is an oval peg in a round hole. Close but no cigar.

I'd be curious to hear a first-hand, well-informed opinion on where Tega is relative to where Shon Coleman was going into 2014. 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd be curious to hear a first-hand, well-informed opinion on where Tega is relative to where Shon Coleman was going into 2014. 

Probably similar. Tega’s first step just sucks real bad right now. Hoping Grimes fixes this.

denial.gif

Never give up

Never surrender

Remember the Alamo

Ever to conquer, never to yield

But...I want him! :'(

If this is a purely business decision for Calvin, Texas makes the least sense of any in his short list IMO. They return WAY more talent and experience at his position than Mich, Auburn, aTm, etc. 

57 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

If this is a purely business decision for Calvin, Texas makes the least sense of any in his short list IMO. They return WAY more talent and experience at his position than Mich, Auburn, aTm, etc. 

You are correct, but two things. One, the lure of the Horns for native Texans is super strong. They’ve had a rough few years, but Longhorn mania is still alive and well in that state. Two, CA is off the charts academically inclined. If the NFL doesn’t work out, he is almost sure to live in Texas and having a degree from both Rice and UT would open any door in that state. 

By BRUCE FELDMAN 

March 10, 2018

Texas followed up its strong 2018 recruiting class with a big punctuation mark, getting a commitment from Calvin Anderson, arguably the nation’s top grad transfer O-lineman. He picked Texas over Michigan, Oklahoma and Auburn.

Anderson, a three-year starting offensive lineman at Rice, triggered a recruiting frenzy on Jan. 6 with a post from his Twitter account, followed by another tweet of his highlight tape with footage included against standout defensive linemen Harrison Phillips from Stanford and Louisiana Tech’s Jaylen Ferguson.

The 6'5", 302-pound honor student will finish up on May 12 with a major in Mathematical Economic Analysis and told SI on Saturday that he expects to get to UT right after.

“It’s good to be done with the recruiting process," Anderson says. “I narrowed it down to those four schools. I prayed on it and the spirit was leading me to Texas.”

Anderson played high school in Austin but says getting the chance to finish his college career at home wasn’t a big factor in his decision. "It’s cool that I get to do that but it really wasn’t part of the decision-making process for me."

The presence of new UT O-line coach Herb Hand, who had actually started recruiting Anderson for Auburn, though, was significant. Anderson called Hand’s role in the decision “huge.”

"Herb Hand coming to Texas was a large reason for me (choosing UT). Had he not come, circumstances might be different."

Anderson told SI that Hand’s pitch didn’t change from Auburn to Texas. "From the beginning, he’s talked very specifically about why he wants to coach me. He really sold me on why he thinks I’m a good player and on the things he can help coach me to get better at. It was not as much of a recruiting pitch change as you might think. He said he can help fix my stance, get it more square, help me play with better pad level, teach me some technique things as far as double teams and stepping off the ball which will help me to maximize my ability to use my leverage.”

Archived