2018 or 2019 Grad Transfer OT Calvin Anderson

ellitor

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

We’re not losing Hill.

If anyone was curious as to whom the notorious bagman was; here's a hint :rolleyes:

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this kid. If we need a GT OT I think he would fit in. I like the discipline he learned from his dad.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, aufan57 said:

If he can contribute like Casey Dunn, I like. If he comes in overweight and makes a minimal contribution like Winston Bell, then we have thrown away away a scholarship and sets Auburn back on o-line roster management.

Would have been nice if Bell did more but a contribution...but even a minor one was nice to have with the injuries and need for some backup.  And we sign HS kids every year who never see the field so I'm not sure how this was any worse than that from a roster management standpoint. ...These kinds of signings in my view are just  band aids......not someone the coaches expected to start I bet..and meanwhile, we were able to redshirt some freshmen and give them a year to develop.   I'm thinking it mostly worked out OK and helps us this year. :dunno:   I hate it when we get to the point of trying find a GT or Juco to fill an actual starting role. 

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

shiaamused.gif

Wherever they're at is fancy lol

Seems kind of funny to see such an old dude by a massive young man

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Wherever they're at is fancy lol

Seems kind of funny to see such an old dude by a massive young man

Indeed, he looks HUGE!

Not sure the beef w/ going after quality GT O-linemen. Maybe some other position but not O line. I agree signing a GT or JUCO may sweep a problem under the rug w/ some positions but in our case right now adding experienced O line depth for 1-2 seasons hugely makes it more likely we GET that championship that GETS us again seriously considered by the crowd attracted to the Clemson's of the world. fwiw, over the last decade Auburn has signed more epically successful 1-2 year guys that were worldbeating STARTERS than any college I can think of. The cliché "you can't have too many O linemen" is always true IMO and come November, quality O line depth in the SEC makes all the difference. Plus, when your O line coach rotates players as frequently as Grimes (and Hand), O line experience is plentiful for performing underclassmen. At least on this team.

IMHO

This is seeming like more and more of a must get as we are closing out January and getting eternally closer to the end of recruiting.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Not sure the beef w/ going after quality GT O-linemen. Maybe some other position but not O line. I agree signing a GT or JUCO may sweep a problem under the rug w/ some positions but in our case right now adding experienced O line depth for 1-2 seasons hugely makes it more likely we GET that championship that GETS us again seriously considered by the crowd attracted to the Clemson's of the world. fwiw, over the last decade Auburn has signed more epically successful 1-2 year guys that were worldbeating STARTERS than any college I can think of. The cliché "you can't have too many O linemen" is always true IMO and come November, quality O line depth in the SEC makes all the difference. Plus, when your O line coach rotates players as frequently as Grimes (and Hand), O line experience is plentiful for performing underclassmen. At least on this team.

IMHO

Agreed. I've been critical of Auburn and Malzahn going after JUCO and grad-transfer QBs over the years because they're only here for 1-2 years at most and you don't get a lot of continuity - plus if you go from a 1 year Cam Newton to a Barrett Trotter or Clint Mosely the next year, you have a very different QB and your offensive scheme has to adapt, which simply delays any rhythm or success right from the get go. Linemen are different however, and in our situation with losing several senior linemen and tackles with a lot of experience, this makes sense. We've got some guys that will be the future of Auburn's O-line in the next couple of seasons but if you can have an experienced and already physically mature offensive tackle come in and play as a stop gap to keep from falling off too much, that allows the youngins time to get acclimated. I'm all for it, as long as we have a long term plan of development in place for our high school guys.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

This is seeming like more and more of a must get as we are closing out January and getting eternally closer to the end of recruiting.

Recruiting never ends FWIW.

J.B. Grimes’ first visit: Rice grad transfer OT

At 10:53 a.m. Wednesday, Auburn’s football Twitter account welcomed J.B. Grimes back to the coaching staff, as had been reported by numerous outlets throughout the morning. By 4:27 p.m., another tweet surfaced — featuring Grimes — that gave some insight into the Tigers’ offensive line recruiting priority in the Class of 2018.

Grimes started the day as the University of Connecticut offensive line coach. He quickly turned into Auburn University offensive line coach, a post he’s familiar with, and hit the road to recruit immediately (which should give you an idea how ready the Auburn coaching staff was for this move).

Grimes’ first move was to see Calvin Anderson in Houston, where he’s still taking classes at Rice University. Anderson was a 6-foot-5, 300-pound offensive tackle target prior to Grimes’ arrival. Auburn coaches Chip Lindsey and Herb Hand headed that recruitment prior to Hand’s departure. It was quickly turned over to Grimes, which shows Anderson’s priority among potential offensive line targets.

The Tigers aren’t the only ones trying to snag the Rice grad transfer. Texas, Michigan and Notre Dame are other suitors in strong position for Anderson.

Coming out of high school, Anderson wasn’t the most highly rated prospect. He was a 2-star talent from Austin, Texas, ranked outside the top 2,400 prospects nationally. Anderson committed to Rice a year before signing and went more or less unnoticed as a recruit in the 2014 class.

He flipped the script during his time with the Owls.

It started by adding 60 pounds during a redshirt season. After that, Anderson started all 36 games on Rice’s schedule dating back to 2015. Anderson decided after the 2017 season that he had NFL draft potential and wanted to develop that at a high-caliber program such as the ones offering him now, including Auburn.

He announced his decision to grad transfer from Rice earlier this month. The mathematical economic analysis major (above my pay grade to know what that is) will finish up classes in May, and he’ll be able to enroll in classes immediately.

Anderson wants to have his decision finalized before that. In fact, his preferred decision date is March 25, his birthday, so he will likely take visits between now and then. Auburn is likely to land one of Anderson’s official visits, though nothing has been set in stone, he confirmed to SEC Country.

What’s interesting about Anderson’s recruitment: Since he doesn’t want to commit until March 25, it can make for an interesting twist with the end-of-cycle numbers crunch. There is a 25-recruit hard cap for the 2018 class. Auburn is already up to 22. If the Tigers were willing to hold out for a potential Anderson addition, that would mean only taking two more (or three, if an unsigned prospect didn’t sign Feb. 7).

Will the Tigers wait for Anderson? You’d think. He has the Division I experience and body already. If Auburn believes it needs an immediate impact offensive lineman, there may not be many better options than Anderson. The fact Grimes’ first recruiting trip went to Anderson should say enough about where he stands compared to a few of the high school options still available.

13 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Wish we could get something like this on all players current & potential.

Not going to happen. Most are highlight videos done by the kids, family, or football team with the specific purpose to promote them & get them as manny and better offers.

15 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I don't know who did this video, but great job being fair and honest.  Wish we could get something like this on all players current & potential.

Disappointing to say the least. If we could have him for 2-3 years he might could make a good lineman - probably a guard.

1 minute ago, screamingeagle said:

Disappointing to say the least. If we could have him for 2-3 years he might could make a good lineman - probably a guard.

I don't know what you are seeing but we aren't seeing the same things. Yes he has weaknesses like anyone else but given AU, Texas, Michigan, OU, TCU, ND & others are after him very hard it points to him have a lot of potential.

Just now, screamingeagle said:

Just disappointed with his technique. 

Fair enough. Something JB can definitely coach up though.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not going to happen. Most are highlight videos done by the kids, family, or football team with the specific purpose to promote them & get them as manny and better offers.

Yeah, I know it isn't going to happen.  But the football geek in me loves to hear real coaches critique players\plays\teams\etc.  In fact, that is one thing about ESPN that I like.  I could not get enough of the coaches talking through the CFP games.  Even some of the coaches I have thought were complete idiots (ie: Bret Bielema).  The information these guys have in their head and their ability to see things is remarkable.  True admiration for all the coaches out there!

Archived