2018 or 2019 Grad Transfer OT Calvin Anderson

ellitor

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

He would still play in the 2018 season Devil even if he can be counted on the 2019 25 limit. Not sure of the point of your gif.

That's the biggest nugget of info on the recruiting site in at least a week...I got excited.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, auol72 said:

As to 2019 we will be able to sign 25.

Maybe but to soon to tell. Depends on attrition.

1 hour ago, auol72 said:

I dont remember the number but we were nowhere close to the 85 limit this year, gave a number of walkons scholarships. For some reason 78 sticks in my mind. If that is the case and we have 10 seniors, their are at least 3 Juniors who i expect to go early, thats 20 spots. I feel, unfortunately that 5 people will either not take their 5th year or leave between now and then, so we will sign 25.

As of right now we project to have 81 on roster for next season w/ 3 spots left to fill in this class.

10 Rising SRs
22 Rising JRs
6 Rising RS Sophs
21 Rising Sophs
7 enrolled Freshmen
7 signed Freshmen
8 committed freshmen
3 spots to fil

84 total schollies projected.

After the 10 rising SRs graduate there will still need to be a good bit of other attrition to bring in 25 for 2019. 14 to be exact. That's happened quite a bit under Gus but is still nowhere near a given to happen. I'd like to see us do a better job of retention & development TBH.

Well, it is built in to the system that some are going to leave. Just the math shows you can sign 125 in any five year period and 100 in any four year period but only 85 of those can be on the roster at any given time. Now obviously for a four year period that is in essence only four per year leaving but if you have some stay five years it requires more to leave. In this day and time when you want to keep bringing in high level recruits you are going to have a number of them leave because they are simply going to get beat out. Alabama has won the mythical recruiting nc almost every year but yet they keep brining in 25 or so every year. Why? because the players who are not in the two deep leave so they can play somewhere else. I am sure you cannot blame that staff for being poor at development. It is just the nature of the beast.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

As of right now we project to have 81 on roster for next season w/ 3 spots left to fill in this class.

10 Rising SRs
22 Rising JRs
6 Rising RS Sophs
21 Rising Sophs
7 enrolled Freshmen
7 signed Freshmen
8 committed freshmen
3 spots to fil

After the 10 rising SRs graduate there will still need to be a good bit of other attrition to bring in 25 for 2019. 14 to be exact. That's happened quite a bit under Gus but is still nowhere near a given to happen. I'd like to see us do a better job of retention & development TBH.

Would assume 3-5 rising Jrs would declare early?

1 hour ago, auol72 said:

Well, it is built in to the system that some are going to leave. Just the math shows you can sign 125 in any five year period and 100 in any four year period but only 85 of those can be on the roster at any given time. Now obviously for a four year period that is in essence only four per year leaving but if you have some stay five years it requires more to leave. In this day and time when you want to keep bringing in high level recruits you are going to have a number of them leave because they are simply going to get beat out. Alabama has won the mythical recruiting nc almost every year but yet they keep brining in 25 or so every year. Why? because the players who are not in the two deep leave so they can play somewhere else. I am sure you cannot blame that staff for being poor at development. It is just the nature of the beast.

Yeah but you don't have to cycle players like that. Look at Clemson playing at a high level without signing near 25 each year & have nowhere near the attrition we do.

10 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Would assume 3-5 rising Jrs would declare early?

3. I don't see anyone beyond Davidson, Brown, or Stidham.

lets hope but there are a couple of wr that could go and i would be very scared of n. coe if he has a superb year. Jamel Dean is also a year behind and elgible. So thinking only three would be unlikely.

Bruce FeldmanVerified account @BruceFeldmanCFB

#Rice LT Calvin Anderson is the hottest commodity on the grad transfer market. He told me he’s got a Top 5: “Texas & Michigan are first tier. Behind them is Auburn, and then OU and then TCU.”

Spenser Davis

Former Rice offensive tackle Calvin Anderson is the hottest commodity on the college football transfer market right now. Blue bloods across the country like Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan and Auburn are recruiting him for his final season of collegiate eligibility.

Anderson is so highly-sought after that Auburn coach Gus Malzahn is even contacting other people with the same name on Twitter. Whoops.

Earlier this week, Malzahn sent a Twitter DM to a Florida State student named Calvin Anderson. And he couldn’t have come up with a better response:

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Guys I think I might’ve found my ticket to the top, give me a shot @AuburnFootball

“Thank you for the interest coach Malzahn, you might have the wrong Calvin Anderson,” he wrote. “But if you want, I can send you a highlight tape of my outstanding intramural career. I think you’ll be impressed.”

Offering your intramural tape is a bold move — hopefully it paid off for him.

To answer Malzahn’s initial question, whatever meeting took place between the real Calvin Anderson and OL coach J.B. Grimes must have went well. His visit to Auburn from Feb. 9-11 will be his third since announcing his transfer from Rice, joining Texas and Michigan. Oklahoma and TCU are also in the mix for his services.

For Anderson, his chief goal in transferring to a bigger school is to give himself a better shot at making the NFL.

“I never thought I would transfer because, like I said, I love Rice,” Anderson told SEC Country’s Benjamin Wolk. “We talked about the NFL dream, which had been floating around for a year and a half. We decided it was a real possibility. I just have a unique opportunity to pursue my NFL dream.”

Anderson hasn’t announced an official timetable for his decision but said he could make a final call after visiting Auburn next weekend.

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Does “next season” mean 2018 or 2019? This time of year that phrase is so damn confusing.

For the love of god please stay out of trouble guys. Is Chette still allowed to interact with the team? If not we need another figure like him ASAP.

27 minutes ago, AUwent said:

For the love of god please stay out of trouble guys. Is Chette still allowed to interact with the team? If not we need another figure like him ASAP.

Yes & where did this random post come from?

National perspective on Auburn grad transfer target

Calvin Anderson’s recruitment has reached the national spotlight.

The tackle, a Rice grad transfer, was featured in a Bruce Feldman article on SI.com. The contents of Feldman’s article were similar to the in-depth conversation SEC Country had with Anderson last week. Anderson is likely to take his final official visit to Auburn next weekend on Feb. 9-11.

The one big difference in Feldman’s piece: Anderson tiered his schools of choice.

Texas and Michigan were Tier 1. Auburn was Tier 2. Oklahoma and TCU were Tier 3.

That shouldn’t be a cause for concern yet. Texas and Michigan are the only two programs to receive an official visit so far. Auburn is expected to receive the last one. Basically, it’ll be tough for Oklahoma and TCU to move from Tier 3. Meanwhile, Texas and Michigan will have to sit and wait to see if Auburn can move up to Tier 1.

Lindsey and Grimes are putting in hard work to get Anderson on board.

That official visit will be everything.

It's too bad the basketball team won't be home. The way they're playing, it's gotta be a selling point for the athletic department in general as well as a chance to experience the Auburn fans and watch some great basketball too!

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Fear of attrition.

Normal attrition has run from 7 to 11 per year for all major schools over the decades. It is trending upward recently with the early NFL guys and grad transfers, things that haven't been a factor until the last few years. I won't be surprised if 12 to 15 leaving each year isn't becoming the new norm.

Underclassmen that are getting regular playing time and see themselves as future starters seldom transfer, if that helps your feelings any. There may be a player that transferred out of AU to get more playing time and became a star elsewhere but I can't think of one at the moment.

If you're worried about incidents such as the Trailer Park Four, that's not something that can be prevented much if at all. Every school has it's idiots, Chette or not.

On 2/1/2018 at 11:51 AM, ellitor said:

10 Rising SRs
22 Rising JRs
6 Rising RS Sophs
21 Rising Sophs
7 enrolled Freshmen
7 signed Freshmen
8 committed freshmen
3 spots to fil

Yes.  I could be wrong but it seems we have not been near the 85 limit in forever.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

How does that even happen.

Have you seen our nose picker lol?  It happens the same way you run up the middle 27,000 times in 5 years after a 1st down.  Sorry.  I just could not help myself.  If there is any coach that would tweet the wrong kid it would be Gus.

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes.  I could be wrong but it seems we have not been near the 85 limit in forever.

2 Seasons

I love our history of walk-on success but I would love a year that no walk-on gets a scholly because of what it would say about our talent evaluation, development and retention. Not sure that even makes sense?....

Archived