2018 or 2019 Grad Transfer OT Calvin Anderson

ellitor

Of these final 10 slots, we may have to sign some top junior college guys other then Calvin Anderson who can step up and play right away. That isn't such a bad idea if you stop and think about it.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Of these final 10 slots, we may have to sign some top junior college guys other then Calvin Anderson who can step up and play right away. That isn't such a bad idea if you stop and think about it.

Lol. We only have 3-4 slots. You are forgetting 8 unsigned commits.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Lol. We only have 3-4 slots. You are forgetting 8 unsigned commits.

He's not forgetting. He is ignoring.

20 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I just looked at the JUCO list and most of them seem to be committed already. I only looked at the OL and secondary prospects since that's where we seem to be lacking, but it doesn't seem like we'll get anyone this year. 

19 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

any last updates onthis guy? Cant find anything. Im guessing Texas..?

he grew up huge longhorn fan, went to school in Austin and mom went to UT; it's gonna be tough to pull him.

Calvin is transferring for a purely business decision - to get noticed by the NFL in high-end competition. Texas returns 17 guys on the OL and yesterday signed three 4-star blue chippers that play specifically OT. It would be very, very odd IMO if he decides Austin is his best business decision. 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/02/01/calvin-anderson-rice-transfer-texas-michigan-auburn

“The best way I’d put it now is that Texas and Michigan are first tier,” Anderson says. “Behind them is Auburn, and then [Oklahoma] and then TCU. It’s mostly fluid, though, from No. 1 through 4, with TCU a little less likely.”

Some will read this and think that we're out of it but I would suggest paying attention to his word choice; he's a Rice student after all. He says that 1-4 are fluid which means we are very much alive in the race for his services. We have the need, exposure, and coaching that he is looking for so it's going to be showing him the love that makes the difference. Like @aucanucktiger said I don't think he's dumb enough to try and compete at Texas right now. So I'd say this puts us against Michigan and TCU.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/02/01/calvin-anderson-rice-transfer-texas-michigan-auburn

Some will read this and think that we're out of it but I would suggest paying attention to his word choice; he's a Rice student after all. He says that 1-4 are fluid which means we are very much alive in the race for his services. We have the need, exposure, and coaching that he is looking for so it's going to be showing him the love that makes the difference. Like @aucanucktiger said I don't think he's dumb enough to try and compete at Texas right now. So I'd say this puts us against Michigan and TCU.

If 1-4 is Texas, Michigan, Auburn, OK and you count out Texas; then wouldn't that leave Michigan & OK and TCU "a little less likely"?

This was posted 5 minutes ago I don't know if that means he'll be here this Friday or next though...

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-calvin-anderson-rice-official-visit

Auburn has a few things the other programs do not. The Tigers can boast the Southeastern Conference, which Anderson pointed out during a phone conversation with SEC Country. Auburn also can sell Anderson on the chance to play every day in practice against a defensive line that will, once again, be one of the best in the nation. And lastly, the Tigers have a vacancy at left tackle, which is what coaches have already sold to Anderson.

This weekend will be Auburn’s final chance to impress Anderson, as he expects to make a decision after this official visit.

Looks like we'll know soon enough...

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we get this guy. Lots of things going against other schools, lots of positives for us. Helps that he’s making an official visit to us and then deciding. I like our chances a lot 

2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I’m really really hoping we land this guy! Also, does us pursuing Anderson mean Calvin Ashley isn’t developing as well as we’d hoped..?

I know nothing. But I'm thinking it has more to do with Anderson being a good player plus Auburn not signing an OT this cycle. More so than a reflection on Ashley

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

I’m really really hoping we land this guy! Also, does us pursuing Anderson mean Calvin Ashley isn’t developing as well as we’d hoped..?

Word out of bowl practices was that Ashley was living up to billing. If I had to guess, the only thing he'll be missing in August is experience. Big only, I know. 

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say we get this guy. Lots of things going against other schools, lots of positives for us. Helps that he’s making an official visit to us and then deciding. I like our chances a lot 

I concur 100%.  The stars are aligning in our favor and if you want to go to the NFL, the SEC is the launching pad.  The kid sounds wicked smart - heard him speak on a podcast.  

If we pull him my grade on this years recruiting which I had pegged between B and B+ may move to A- territory. Worse case Ashley and Prince  and Anderson fight for the two OT jobs and we have a solid backup in case one of the winners gets hurt. I am also hoping that Grimes can make the other Prince a viable option along with Troxell if he is healthy enough.  That would get us through next year and hopefully have 4 solid OT's for 2019 while we start developing the 3 OT's we hopefully sign next year while allowing the to mature and RedShirt. Also with the right coaching Bailey and Hamm may also be options at OT.

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Word out of bowl practices was that Ashley was living up to billing. If I had to guess, the only thing he'll be missing in August is experience. Big only, I know. 

Yeah 5* Ashley we're talking about...Dude was ready come in and play last year but he had a redshirt year to get even more prepared plus he's got Grimes coaching him now? I believe that we'll definitely have a stalwart at that RT position and hopefully if we get Anderson he's a stalwart as well.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Yeah 5* Ashley we're talking about...Dude was ready come in and play last year but he had a redshirt year to get even more prepared plus he's got Grimes coaching him now? I believe that we'll definitely have a stalwart at that RT position and hopefully if we get Anderson he's a stalwart as well.

Agreed, I think we'll be alright. If we have a 3 man battle at Tackle we might even consider bringing one inside to OG if we feel they're in the top 5 on the line.

https://twitter.com/THE_CONDA25/status/962104429280485377

He made it at least!

Not much information to be found on Twitter though. He seems to "like" anything he's mentioned in regardless of the school. It'll be tough to tell.

On 2/9/2018 at 10:44 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

I can’t think of one pitch that we can possibly offer that one of his state schools can’t. If we steal him, it’s going to be because he loves our campus. Hope it’s not rainy there....

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I can’t think of one pitch that we can possibly offer that one of his state schools can’t. If we steal him, it’s going to be because he loves our campus. Hope it’s not rainy there....

Nary a moment of sunshine today and flash flood warnings for tonight and tomorrow. The rain did hold off until mid-afternoon.

Archived