2018 or 2019 Grad Transfer OT Calvin Anderson

ellitor

17 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I can’t think of one pitch that we can possibly offer that one of his state schools can’t. If we steal him, it’s going to be because he loves our campus. Hope it’s not rainy there....

Auburn women > Texas women

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Auburn women > Texas women

I saw a picture where Coach Herb visited him and his gf. Probably not going to work. 

AUBURN | 

needs a temporary home, a place to better prepare him for the NFL.

It’s why Anderson, a graduate transfer offensive tackle from Rice, is searching for a school to play his final year of eligibility, and why he was in Auburn this weekend on an official visit.

“I got a lot of my questions answered and even more questions answered than I had,” Anderson said. “I could both literally and theoretically (see myself at Auburn) because we put the uniforms on, so I could definitely see it. I had a really good weekend.”

Anderson arrived in Auburn on Friday. His father, stepmother and stepsister all arrived on Saturday. They met with Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and offensive line coach J.B. Grimes.

“All of those guys are genuine, and I enjoyed that,” Anderson said. “I was happy to have the family here. They were really happy and it seems like they got a really good feel. My stepmom is really, really good gauging about whether or not people are legitimate. She’s a lawyer, so she’s a big help. You can’t get by her.”

Anderson spent a lot of time Saturday meeting with Grimes.

“I was happy about that the most,” Anderson said. “We sat down for almost an hour and a half and just talked football, fundamentals, what he saw on film, what he thinks he could help me with specifically and that’s the stuff that I really wanted to get into. All the aesthetics are great, but at the end of the day it comes down to football.”

Anderson also met several players during his visit, including Darius Slayton, Chandler Cox, Calvin Ashley and Mike Horton. He saw the depth chart and how he could compete for a starting position. He also saw an addition role he could play at Auburn.

“It’s very important for me to come in and have a chance to start. That’s first and foremost,” Anderson said. “But with Auburn, I’d also have the opportunity to be in a leadership role with some of the younger guys. I got to meet some of the guys over the weekend, Calvin and Mike, and they are good guys. I would be grateful to be in a position that I could counsel them, give them some of the wisdom I’ve gained over the years.”

Anderson left Auburn on Sunday with a lot to consider. He already has visited Texas and Michigan and the two join Auburn in his top three. He doesn’t have any other visits scheduled at this time, although he’s considering Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

“After I sit down and process this visit, talk with my family and think through it all, I’ll go from there and figure out whether or not I’ll do the Oklahoma visit,” Anderson said. “We’ll see. This visit was a big factor in that decision.”

Anderson initially planned to announce his final decision in March, but it could come sooner. He expects it to.

“I don’t want to drag this thing out, so I think it will be before March 25,” he said.

Anderson’s family lives in Austin, Texas, which could make the decision to stay home an easy one. Not for Anderson.

“(My family) lives in Austin, but proximity to home is not much of a factor because I am trying to go to the best place for seven months to get prepared the best,” Anderson said. “It’s great to be home, all that’s great, but that’s not really weighing into this decision because this is a business decision. I’m taking into account what can make me better, and I don’t think proximity to home has anything to do with that

Being coached by Hand will not prepare you for the next level.  Competing against first round DL week in and out will.

And hell, JB Grimes helped turn Greg Robinson into the number two pick of the draft, playing the same position as Anderson, and he coached Shon Coleman, who was taken in the third round, playing the same position. Unlike Coach Hand, Coach Grimes has shown the ability to push LTs into the first half of the draft.

He will also have a chance to show out in some big games with title implications at AU. Texas is still rebuilding and may be a year or more away from fully being ready. Who knows what Michigan is doing. So, come to AU and show you can play against the best defenses in the country and maybe come away with some hardware.

I think he fell in love just like we did... businesses decisions are easier to make when your heart is in it.  Come on in son, the water is fine...

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Man what an interview. This kid is sharp for sure. 

Offensive linemen have almost always proven themselves to be some of the most intelligent members of the team, so that's not really surprising.

Sounds like we know three of our starting Offensive Lineman

Anderson also met several players during his visit, including Darius Slayton, Chandler Cox, Calvin Ashley and Mike Horton. He saw the depth chart and how he could compete for a starting position. He also saw an addition role he could play at Auburn.

42 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Sounds like we know three of our starting Offensive Lineman

Slayton needs about 4 more inches and 80-100 more pounds before I'd put this on the line

8 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Slayton needs about 4 more inches and 80-100 more pounds before I'd put this on the line

Oh lord, who was I thinking of?

Just checked the roster and I was thinking of Darius James...I need coffee 

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Oh lord, who was I thinking of?

Just checked the roster and I was thinking of Darius James...I need coffee 

Unless James improves from last year  our backfield is in trouble

Since James graduated and ran out of eligibility, I also feel confident that he won't start for us.

Horton and Harrell are about the only guys I feel 99% confident will start. I don't know where they play LG, C, or RG, but I'll be very surprised to see either of them out of the starting five. After that:

Related image

7 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Since James graduated and ran out of eligibility, I also feel confident that he won't start for us.

Horton and Harrell are about the only guys I feel 99% confident will start. I don't know where they play LG, C, or RG, but I'll be very surprised to see either of them out of the starting five. After that:

Related image

I think Tega can play but would feel better if he gets beat out. 

I'd say Tega is the next most likely guy, but I don't know if he can flip to RT. If not, you'd say Ashley is the front runner at RT and Tega is the front runner at LT. If Anderson comes, you'd say he's the front runner at LT. Too many moving parts to speculate on the starting five at this point.

48 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Too many moving parts to speculate on the starting five at this point.

I agree, but I'll throw my guess out anyway.

LT: Anderson/Tega

LG: Harrell

C: Brahms

RG: Horton

RT: Ashley

That could become a pretty good line

I think with the experience Tega got last year I think he will be starting LT and Ashley will be RT.  With as much as we run shotgun LT and RT are almost the same.  If we get Anderson he will compete. I like him but I wouldn't bet the family farm on his winning the job at one of the tackle spots. I would go 60/40 in his favor. I saw some good things and bad things with Tega last year. This year he will have Grimes coaching him all spring and Fall that will help. Ashley has not played a snap at tackle in college all the potential in the world but yet to see it against SEC competition. Again Grimes can help him a lot between now and opening day. 

I am really interested to see how Troxell has come along with his recovery and how well Prince Sammons has improved especially with Grimes between now and Opening day. We have the possibility of having only two decent OT's next year Prince and Ashley or two really good ones. If Anderson comes three pretty solid OT's and with improvement under Grimes two more solid backups not counting Sharp and Hamm.

I am putting a lot of pressure on Grimes to develop the existing talent. I think he can do it. If he does we will still need 3-4 OT's for future next year but I won't be as worried about 2019 and 2020 as I am now.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree, but I'll throw my guess out anyway.

LT: Anderson/Tega

LG: Harrell

C: Brahms

RG: Horton

RT: Ashley

That could become a pretty good line

I like this but I would not automatically assume that Tega won't be able to beat out Anderson. I would go 60/40 Anderson but with Grimes teaching him and with his potential Tega could win out.  Either way a plus for Auburn as we would definitely have one very solid backup at OT.  I am also hoping that with Grimes as coach Prince Sammons will improve giving us two solid backups at OT.  Troxell also has potential to be an OT if he completely recovers from his injury I know people said he was behind where they expected him to be this fall but he has had some time too improve. Maybe we will see him in spring or fall?.

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like this but I would not automatically assume that Tega won't be able to beat out Anderson. I would go 60/40 Anderson but with Grimes teaching him and with his potential Tega could win out.  Either way a plus for Auburn as we would definitely have one very solid backup at OT.  I am also hoping that with Grimes as coach Prince Sammons will improve giving us two solid backups at OT.  Troxell also has potential to be an OT if he completely recovers from his injury I know people said he was behind where they expected him to be this fall but he has had some time too improve. Maybe we will see him in spring or fall?.

No offense but Anderson would start day one at AU. Ashely should be the other. Sammons and Troxell are still way way way way off. Tega is still way off. 

Dont matter as its hook em with this kid. 

Archived