2019 4* DE Nathan Pickering (Miss St.)

WFE12

image.png

12 Major school offers including AU, Bama, Florida, LSU, Rebs, Miss St., FSU, & UGA
AU has a good shot to be in this one for the long haul

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Class of 2019 4-star DE high on Woodson, Auburn

Malzahn wanted an elite recruiter to fill the position, and Pickering, a four-star defensive end in the 2019 class, believes the Tigers’ head coach landed one in Woodson.

“Coach Woodson is an excellent recruiter,” Pickering said. “He’s an excellent recruiter and an excellent coach.”

Pickering, from Seminary, Miss., should know. He’s been recruited by Woodson since his sophomore season. Woodson, while at Memphis, recruited and offered Pickering.

Pickering has seen what kind of recruiter Auburn is getting in Woodson.

“He’s great,” Pickering said. “He takes time on visits to make sure you see everything. He makes sure you get to talk to players face to face. And he always talks to you, asks what is going on with you. He’s just always checking up on you.”

The attention Pickering received from Woodson hasn’t slowed since Woodson accepted the Auburn position. If anything, it has increased.

“Auburn is recruiting me harder than anyone right now,” Pickering said.

The Tigers offered Pickering earlier this week. Pickering already had several SEC and ACC offers, but the one from Auburn was special.

“I was so excited,” Pickering said. “That is one of the offers I was looking to get. Auburn, to me, is a great school.”

Pickering has reasons for his high interest in the Tigers. Woodson is one, but not the only one.

“I like a lot of things about Auburn,” Pickering said. “Auburn plays good, hard football. They play with heart. Auburn has a good atmosphere that I would love to play in. It’s just seems like a great fit for me.”

Pickering plans to visit Auburn soon.

“I’m talking to them about coming over for one of their junior days,” he said.

Pickering stopped short of naming the Tigers his leader, but said Auburn will be a contender for him throughout his recruitment.

“Auburn is a great school and I really like it,” Pickering said. “Auburn is a school that definitely is standing out to me right now.”

Pickering isn’t in a rush to make his college decision. He plans to take several visits, including all five official visits, before announcing a commitment.

In 13 games as a junior, Pickering recorded 85 tackles, 31 solos, 39 tackles-for-loss, five sacks and 21 quarterback-hurries. He also had four passes batted down, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and scored four touchdowns (three receiving and one rushing).

Rivals ranks Pickering, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 275 pounds, the No. 9 strongside defensive end in the 2019 class, the No. 3 overall player in Mississippi and No. 107 in the Rivals250.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Probably need 2 SDE in 2019.  Garner will probably need 6 on the DL next year

JMO but Pickering looks like a protypical guy that plays SDE in high school that Garner takes as a DT expecting him to grow. See Andrew Williams among others.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

JMO but Pickering looks like a protypical guy that plays SDE in high school that Garner takes as a DT expecting him to grow. See Andrew Williams among others.

I agree but generally let’s them play a year at SDE unless they physically require a redshirt like Williams did.  I want the kid committed to Michigan from GA 2019 also at SDE name slips my mind right now.

** found it- Chris Hinton

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Wish he could've made it to Junior Day again. Change of plans.

A top 14? Interesting to say the least.

The vibe in Jackson is that Pickering is an Ole Miss/Auburn battle with MSU next and a bunch of big name schools behind those three.

14 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

The vibe in Jackson is that Pickering is an Ole Miss/Auburn battle with MSU next and a bunch of big name schools behind those three.

I always like our odds against Ole Miss...that program really can't be too attractive right now...

It certainly has its issues, but they'll be done with the post-season ban by the time he starts. Coach Luke is a really likable guy, and we all know Crime Dog can recruit his butt off. But yeah, they're not a team to fear, even if they're a real threat here.

3 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

It certainly has its issues, but they'll be done with the post-season ban by the time he starts. Coach Luke is a really likable guy, and we all know Crime Dog can recruit his butt off. But yeah, they're not a team to fear, even if they're a real threat here.

Can't help but like Coach Luke I believe he played for TT

• 1 month later...

Looking like an lswho and bama leading his recruiting today! Auburn needs to get him here for big cat weekend! Or sooner, but he a long way off before deciding, January I think.

I don’t know about NP, but with Bo, George, Owen, and the 2 Js working together to build this class, we’re gonna see a lot of good things happen for the good guys in the next several months!!!

BCW this year is gonna be INSANE!!!

Well we survived the cut from 15 -> 10

Seems like whichever school he visits the most recently tends to be trending for him. Not sure what Mississippi State is offering but they're in on a some better recruits than usual; they're leading according to 247 but there is little indication that he has a legitimate leader right now. I saw where he said he'll take two OV and that the Turds were definitely getting one.

Pickering has a top 10 of Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Southern Cal and Texas.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Seems like whichever school he visits the most recently tends to be trending for him.

That's kind of how this recruiting thing works for nearly every recruit.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's kind of how this recruiting thing works for nearly every recruit.

The ones with a big group of contenders I suppose. I was trying to say he doesn't seem to have a very clear leader and it seems pretty open with him whereas others make visits but don't seem to waiver strongly after each one.

31 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The ones with a big group of contenders I suppose. I was trying to say he doesn't seem to have a very clear leader and it seems pretty open with him whereas others make visits but don't seem to waiver strongly after each one.

LSU & Bama lead right now.

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

LSU & Bama lead right now.

So...what is up? We were supposed to really get into Mississippi for these recruits and especially him. How are we doing with the other ones? There was also a WR... forget his name. Is Georgia our focus now with OP on board?

On 1/14/2018 at 12:32 AM, ellitor said:

I totally agree.  I see Nathan as a kid that Garner slides inside immediately.  Especially if he is 275# right now.  

Archived