Top 10 breakout candidates for 2018

WFE12

Auburn football names to know: Top 10 breakout candidates for 2018 season

Lauren Shute

Most underclassmen typically have limited time to shine in their initial seasons in the Southeastern Conference.

If the opportunity arises, however, and young players capitalize, a single play can make a name memorable. That kind of beginning can increase a student athlete’s confidence and simultaneously set up a strong college career.

Several Auburn football players, whether in a flash on the field or with consistent effort during practices, managed to make a strong impression as Auburn’s 10-win season unfolded.

For the Tigers to reach the top of the SEC again in 2018, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn will need even bigger contributions from some of his youngsters, including a few who will just be getting comfortable in their dorm rooms.

Here are 10 names you might want to note as spring football quickly approaches:

Nick Brahms

If you’re one of the fans panicking about replacing key pieces along the offensive line —including Braden Smith, Austin Golson and Casey Dunn — Nick Brahms can ease some of your anxiety.

Calvin Ashley, 5a -star tackle,  is likely to take on a bigger role as a redshirt freshman, but Brahms will be another key piece to winning the battle in the trenches.

Auburn offensive lineman Nick Brahms overcame a nasty leg injury in his senior year of high school to star on the Tigers’ scout team in 2017. (Justin Ferguson/SEC Country)

Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey noticed Brahms, especially as the season went on, even pointing out that he was “proud” of all the work he had put in. For quarterback Jarrett Stidham to have success, he’ll have to have a center who can perform under pressure — and that’s where Brahms comes in.

The former 4-star signee suffered an injury that caused him to miss his senior year of high school, but he was still a U.S. Army All-American. The setback also didn’t stop him from earning Auburn’s offensive scout team player of the year award in 2017.

Marquis McClain 

Auburn did its best to move the football against UCF in the Peach Bowl and used a lot of receivers against the Knights.

Marquis McClain’s name has popped up a lot in the past, but the soon-to-be redshirt sophomore could finally land on the field more in 2018.

The first thing that comes up with McCalin is how physically impressive he is. Teammates have dubbed him a freak and if the 6-foot-2, 226-pound roster listing is correct, it’s understandable why.

Auburn wide receiver Marquis McClain reaches for a catch during Peach Bowl practice. (Todd Van Emst/Auburn Athletics)

The Crestview, Fla., native has the potential to be a fan favorite. He’s a versatile athlete who played football, basketball and sprinted and jumped at Crestview High School. Both of his parents were collegiate athletes and he’s already proven he’s versatile. He also plays five different instruments.

Expect to see McClain make far more than 14 catches and keep an eye out for the long bomb from Stidham, too.

Auburn running back Devan Barrett out-runs a defensive player. (Sarah Lundgren/SEC Country)

Devan Barrett 

Devan Barrett didn’t make too many appearances for Auburn this season, but when he did, he showed why he fits perfectly into Chip Lindsey’s offense.

The Tampa Catholic product is among the most versatile players in Auburn’s backfield. He can catch and has speed that rivals the Tigers’ fastest athletes.

Barrett didn’t get much of a chance to shine because Kerryon Johnson soaked up most of the spotlight, but with Johnson leaving early for the 2018 NFL Draft, Barrett could be Gus Malzahn’s go-to guy.

This spring and summer, Barrett will be looking to add weight to his 6-foot, 185-pound frame, and if he’s able to add good muscle, his number of carries likely will go up. Barrett had 14 rushing attempts for 79 yards and 10 receptions for 33 yards, but he’ll have the chance to jump right in as a sophomore.

TD Moultry, Big Kat Bryant 

Fans would have loved if Jeff Holland had decided to stick around for one more year, but with “Sensei Mud” headed towards the pros, the path will be clear for this striking duo.

TD Moultry saw significant time toward the end of the season and Big Kat Bryant had some commanding plays, too.

Auburn’s defensive line won’t stumble with the pair preparing to take over Holland’s buck position. Moultry said it took some time to get used to wearing Carl Lawson’s No. 55 jersey at the Peach Bowl, but he’s determined to add to the number’s significance. And Big Kat Bryant, well, his name alone indicates he could be a big star for Kevin Steele’s defense.

Expect to hear a lot from Big Cat Bryant (1) and T.D. Moultry (55) in 2018. (Justin Ferguson/SEC Country)

JaTarvious Whitlow 

JaTarvious Whitlow’s freshman season was derailed by an ankle injury, but the LaFayette, Ala., kid didn’t stay down long.

Throughout Peach Bowl practices, Whitlow’s name frequently elicited the same reactions that Malik Willis’ did this spring: raised eyebrows and a lack of words.

Auburn players only had great reviews for running back JaTarvious Whitlow during Peach Bowl practices. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Teammates who saw Whitlow’s elusive explosiveness first-hand in bowl practices loved what they saw. Some were so impressed in the short stretch that they now expect Whitlow to compete for time in 2018.

Chip Lindsey said that Whitlow, a former dual-threat quarterback, was “a surprise” before the New Year. And of course, it takes a lot to impress in the backfield at a school with the nickname Running Back University.

MORE: Recruiting insider updates on Auburn’s 14 official visitors, including newest commit

Jordyn Peters 

Wait, did you think Jordyn Peters was a sophomore?

Auburn freshman Jordyn Peters makes a tackle. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

It’s understandable. The Auburn defensive back made some key plays for the Tigers in some huge moments. Some young players might be intimidated when asked to step up and contribute, but not Peters.

The Muscle Shoals, Ala., product has a rep for having a big personality, and he’s got the game to back it up. Some of the outgoing seniors, including Tray Matthews and Stephen Roberts, counted on Peters and feel he’s already prepared to take their place.

Peters admitted toward the end of the 2017 season that he didn’t even expect to play as much as he did, but he perfected the art of taking advantage of his chances. His work ethic and physicality fall in line perfectly with Kevin Steele’s simple philosophy and his presence is going to be critical for Auburn’s secondary in 2018.

Noah Igbinoghene 

Noah Igbinoghene will be remembered for much more than his complicated last name. In fact, Auburn fans can probably still see him sprinting 72 yards downfield in the Peach Bowl.

The freshman opened the third quarter with a huge opening kickoff that re-energized Auburn as it struggled against UCF.

Even as a freshman, Noah Igbinoghene quickly found his way. (Scott Cunningham/Getty Images)

What’s perhaps most impressive about Igbinoghene — even more so than his speed, which is a pretty big deal) — is his ability to develop.

Wide receiver coach Kodi Burns knew he was going to have an athlete in his group. That’s what you get when your parents are Olympians. Still, what impressed Burns more was Igbinoghene’s ball skills. That means that this rising sophomore is probably going to end up playing vital roles in Auburn’s offense and special teams.

Alec Jackson 

Igbinoghene isn’t the only player who has something coaches can’t teach. Alec Jackson has something, too: size.

Auburn’s Dontavius Russell said at the Peach Bowl he saw Jackson playing defensive tackle, but defensive line coach Rodney Garner could end up moving Jackson around a bit. Wherever he is, coaches and teammates believe he has a chance to make his presence known.

Alec Jackson will try to work his way into the rotation next season. (Justin Ferguson/SEC Country)

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele sees that Jackson still has “a long way to go” but he can also picture the final product of what Jackson could be. While Jackson might not be a starter in 2018, he’s versatile enough that he will be a key body in Garner’s deep defensive line rotation.

Chandler Wooten 

Chandler Wooten was one of those newcomers who received the ultimate compliment from the upperclassmen in 2017. Those around him just kept saying, “He don’t look like a freshman.”

Breaking into Auburn’s deep rotation at linebacker isn’t easy, but Wooten managed to earn the respect of teammates like Tre’ Williams and Deshaun Davis and linebackers coach Travis Williams.

Auburn linebacker Chandler Wooten smiles at Tiger Walk. (Sarah Lundgren/SEC Country)

Under coach T-Will, Wooten didn’t have a choice but to learn a lot during his first season on the Plains. The linebackers rotated and Wooten had to stay up to speed.

The ultimate advantage Wooten has has nothing to do with football. It’s that he fits perfectly into the description of the Auburn linebackers unit. For the most part, the group thrives when underrated, underestimated guys get together. Wooten wasn’t highly ranked as a high school prospect, but in reality that just allowed him to fly under the radar — at least for a little bit, that is.

Quindarious ‘Smoke’ Monday 

There was major cause for celebration when Quindarious “Smoke” Monday committed to Auburn. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

You have to be truly special to be able to step in and really make a difference as a true freshman. And having a name like Quindarious “Smoke” Monday, well, that only helps matters.

Smoke got the name because of his speed, and it’s a quality that will be a huge help to the Auburn secondary unit in 2018. With seniors Tray Matthews, Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin on the way out, the Tigers will need lots of bodies in the secondary.

When Smoke officially announced he’d be a Tiger at Auburn, it was a big deal. Georgia and Clemson wanted the star safety, but Malzahn and his staff stole him away.

I have seen nothing of Whitlow. Not even high school tape but I’m pulling for him. Just by his numbers and what I’m reading 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I have seen nothing of Whitlow. Not even high school tape but I’m pulling for him. Just by his numbers and what I’m reading 

Whitlow was an absolute stud in high school but playing QB.  He also punt returner kickoff returner.  Dynamic and with some swag. Maybe a little showboating but not excessively.  I’ll take showboating over disrespecting teammates and own coaches any day.

Love Barrett but less optimistic for him "breaking out" this year. 

I would love to see NCM be an every-week difference maker for us this year. We all know his name, but I feel very much like he is still waiting to "break out". 

The rest of the list makes sense enough. Always interesting to compare these to end-of-season results. 

Don't sleep on or forget KJ Britt.  I'm hoping he stays injury free and pushes his way into playing time in 2018.  I almost forgot about him because he is never mentioned.

7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Don't sleep on or forget KJ Britt.  I'm hoping he stays injury free and pushes his way into playing time in 2018.  I almost forgot about him because he is never mentioned.

I still love his commitment video

16 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Which is so weird because he was such a big get at the time. 

Archived