Herb Hand to Texas

Auhud08

This gives me a lot of hope that Gus is going to become a great head coach. He had to see like most of us that Hand was not getting the job done and he did the right thing for the team. Now go and hire a top O-line coach Gus you can do it.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

????

When a coach leaves Auburn for UcF or Cincinnati, maybe fired. You don’t get fired into a co- oc at Texas. 

I want UGA's OLine coach. Pay him a ton and make him Assoc Head Coach as well. Offer $2M or more. Not sure he would consider it but let's go as high as we can.

52 minutes ago, alexava said:

When a coach leaves Auburn for UcF or Cincinnati, maybe fired. You don’t get fired into a co- oc at Texas. 

My opinion...he knows what he's capable of and he got out while he still could.  I think we're going to need to hire a miracle worker to clean up his mess.

28 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I want UGA's OLine coach. Pay him a ton and make him Assoc Head Coach as well. Offer $2M or more. Not sure he would consider it but let's go as high as we can.

$2 million or more for an OL coach? You understand that we pay less for both our OC and DC, correct?

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Hey @GwillMac6 now that Herb is gone, I guess we can be friends 

tenor.gif?itemid=5682454

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

This gives me a lot of hope that Gus is going to become a great head coach. He had to see like most of us that Hand was not getting the job done and he did the right thing for the team. Now go and hire a top O-line coach Gus you can do it.

Didn't herb leave on his own? 

Georgia

The new guy has to be able recruit GA and maybe FL.   We are losing ground in GA or GA is gaining ground - same thing.   UF will gain ground in FL soon.   
The man needs ties.

S Searles

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Really hope that they didn't make this decision without a few people in mind already. We need to make a swift decision...For recruiting sake.

I think Texas made the decision, not Auburn. Hand  got a promotion to co-oc in the deal. Texas has deep enough pockets, the tradition and facilities to hire any assistant they want. We didn't "ease somebody out" and then they got a promotion to go to Texas.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think Texas made the decision, not Auburn. Hand  got a promotion to co-oc in the deal. Texas has deep enough pockets, the tradition and facilities to hire any assistant they want. We didn't "ease somebody out" and then they got a promotion to go to Texas.

This is what I think.   He took the lateral move title/promotion.  

I also think with the cold weather we have right now,. We left his office window cracked a little.  

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Didn't herb leave on his own? 

I don't know, maybe he was encouraged to look and he found a job. I don't think he would have left his buddy Gus if Gus really wanted him to stay. JMO

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Being "co-OC" at a school like Texas which has an OC as its HC, and then an actual OC well above Herb Hand, is literally meaningless.  Its just a title.  You think that Kodi Burns does anything as "co-OC" at Auburn LOL?

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Truer words were never spoken. The job Hand did this year, having to mix and match due to injuries and still putting a product on the field that dominated both UGA and UAT's defensive fronts at the end of the season was remarkable. Texas wanted him and they got him. They can afford any assistant coach they want. Whether Hand leaving here is a good thing or not depends on who replaces him. We can do much worse.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Recruiting he's been en fuego but coaching he leaves much to be desired. We got A1 talent at WR and we need better coaching there. Better route trees ya know...

A less than desirable sophisticated passing game concepts is all on gus. He makes it easy on the defense a lot of times. It has made both D craig and Kodi look bad from time to time so far because people (myself included) will just blame the wr coach.

The good thing about the new coaching opening is that about everyone on this forum is an expert on the subject and thus can keep AU from making the big mistake of hiring the wrong guy....though at this point I'm having trouble sensing a consensus among all these experts...:)

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Is herb from Texas.

He is actually from New York which I would of never known until I looked at his bio. 

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

Being "co-OC" at a school like Texas which has an OC as its HC, and then an actual OC well above Herb Hand, is literally meaningless.  Its just a title.  You think that Kodi Burns does anything as "co-OC" at Auburn LOL?

You think Texas has to go around scraping the bottom of the barrel to get assistant coaches? LMAO!

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You think Texas has to go around scraping the bottom of the barrel to get assistant coaches? LMAO!

Who said they were scraping the bottom of the barrel? Herb Hand is an alright coach.

You talk Texas up as if they can go hire coaches away from the Patriots or something.  Roughly half of Herman's staff are literally guys he brought with him from Houston.  Several of those guys have marginal resumes at best (ie: they were small school coaches).  Explain that one; surely Texas with its "history and money" should be able to hire a dream team of college coaches as you seem to be suggesting, not rely on guys who spent a year or two at Houston after coaching for schools like Utah State.

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

Who said they were scraping the bottom of the barrel? Herb Hand is an alright coach.

You talk Texas up as if they can go hire coaches away from the Patriots or something.  Roughly half of Herman's staff are literally guys he brought with him from Houston.  Several of those guys have marginal resumes at best (ie: they were small school coaches).  Explain that one; surely Texas with its "history and money" should be able to hire a dream team of college coaches as you seem to be suggesting, not rely on guys who spent a year or two at Houston after coaching for schools like Utah State.

Texas hires the coaches they want. Herman filled his staff from coaches he knows. Texas/Herman hired Hand away from Auburn because they wanted him. End of story.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Texas hires the coaches they want. Herman filled his staff from coaches he knows. Texas/Herman hired Hand away from Auburn because they wanted him. End of story.

I'm not sure AU put up much of a fight to keep him.  However it seems like strange timing for both sides.  

They may of wanted him BUT it is being reported at multiple AU sites this is not a shock at all seeing as AU let his contract ran out and gus flat out expected this. He thought this would of happened sooner and had a replacement ready to go in december. END. OF. STORY.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

They may of wanted him BUT it is being reported at multiple AU sites this is not a shock at all seeing as AU let his contract ran out and gus flat out expected this. He thought this would of happened sooner and had a replacement ready to go in december. END. OF. STORY.

Well then his replacement is already on campus and will be publicly named within the hour. Thanks for the heads up. Of course, if the replacement isn't named by 9 AM, we will know that those sites were pumping BS.

So an inexperienced coach who had to fill his staff with the few guys he knew from his previous job hires Herb Hand, and because the school is "Texas" you assume that this means that Hand must have been at the top of some grand list of all-time great OL coach candidates? 

Your logic is infallible.  So what are you trying to tell me here: Texas hires "who they want", and it just so happened that the best coaches in the country were all coaching with Herman at mighty Houston University LOLOL? No, the more likely conclusion genius is that Herman has not had the time to develop the reputation needed to attract "the best of the best" and thus like many young coaches has to rely on his limited network of guys he knows already.  Herb Hand may have very well been the best coach he could land.  The guy that Herb Hand is replacing spent 2 years at Houston, and before that was the TE coach for New Mexico.  You want to tell me that Herman could have hired ANYONE, and he chose that chump? Don't be stupid.

Archived