Herb Hand to Texas

Auhud08

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

I am too....but I bet we could go into more than a few AE/AUFamily buried threads and see CHH mentioned frequently for every OL vacancy we've had since I've been "on Board."

bingo

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Bird , I thought better of you than that, surely you like Memphis BBQ best though , right ? 

The best?

tenor.gif?itemid=3303041

28 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I'm watching Benjamin Wolk's livestream from earlier today and his sauces tell him that we should expect a hire within the next 24 hours.

A pretty reliable sauce

tiger-sauce-10oz-2.jpg

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

. JB was a much better coach than him. Just could not recruit

I know you follow recruiting closer than me, do you really think HH was a better recruiter than JB? I would say that JB was just as good of a recruiter and a lot better coach.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I know you follow recruiting closer than me, do you really think HH was a better recruiter than JB? I would say that JB was just as good of a recruiter and a lot better coach.

JB did get braden out of kansas. And he got him when we were really late to the game which was impressive.But I still  think Herb is a much better recruiter than him but I tend to lean the perception of him being a good recruiter is just that. A lot more perception without a lot of results. I think his twitter game is the main thing that drives that narrative. I just think grimes is pretty dreadful at recruiting. Gus has looked to push guys like that out with him and fountain the past couple of years that have not been pulling their weight on the trail.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A lot more perception without a lot of results

This is what I was thinking, where is the results.

34 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

That is why I said Assoc Head Coach as well. Coaching rates are going up at a fast rate. If their is an unbelievable coach who would consider coming for a lot of money, then I believe we should pay it.

Wont get into it now but we have to be willing to pay, to compete with the best.

Rodney Garner already has the "Associate HC" title and he makes nowhere near $2 million, he doesn't even make half of that.  Really struggling to not be a dick here, but your suggestion is absurd.  No position coach anywhere makes that much money.  We pay Kevin Steele $1.2 million, you think an OL coach is getting $800k+ more than a DC? What kind of reaction do you think Steele and Lindsay have seeing that figure LOL? 

Mississippi State and Arkansas just hired HEAD COACHES for $3.5 million my man.  HEAD COACHES.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hand has NEVER had the type of success recruiting and coaching with the units and players he has put in the nfl that Garner has had. Hand deserves most of the crap coming his way. He was one of our highest paid non coordinators assistants and totally was not earning his pay. All I remember is people getting upset at Garner for maybe one cycle when it came to recruiting and then he crushed it out of the park the next cycle and everyone went back to praising him. 

Like I said, short memories. 

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

I saw a news release that said a Texas-style BBQ joint was coming to Auburn. Then I read it was in Auburn, California. :(

Auburn would LOVE one!  While we are talking West Coast, let's rally for an In and Out Burger, too.  Trader Joe's while we're at it.  Finally, Birmingham got one, at least.  Now speaking of Auburn, California, it was news to me that Auburn is right in the heart of Gold Country.  Coloma, site of the Gold Rush of 1849, is Auburn's neighbor.  Fabulous little museum telling the whole story by the American River, where you can still try your hand.  For anyone road-tripping, maybe they can do some panning while they take care of brisket matters!

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Like I said, short memories. 

I mean we are fans. can you blame us? We react to what we are or not seeing. Past success does not mean you get a break and are allowed to be disappointed 1 year. They are paid handsomely to not have a letdown on or off the field. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I mean we are fans. can you blame us? We react to what we are or not seeing. Past success does not mean you get a break and are allowed to be disappointed 1 year. They are paid handsomely to not have a letdown on or off the field. 

True enough. I guess I look at things from a realistic standpoint. How can an individual be expected to outperform everyone else in his profession every day, week, month , year consistently. In a profession that is so dependent on so many other people and so many moving parts. Nick Saban is the only coach I have ever witnessed carry on such success. And bammer fans bitch about him constantly. 

But many people here wanted garner ran off because he “couldn’t coach or develop players “ only recruit. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

True enough. I guess I look at things from a realistic standpoint. How can an individual be expected to outperform everyone else in his profession every day, week, month , year consistently. In a profession that is so dependent on so many other people and so many moving parts. Nick Saban is the only coach I have ever witnessed carry on such success. And bammer fans bitch about him constantly. 

But many people here wanted garner ran off because he “couldn’t coach or develop players “ only recruit. 

I will give you the garner one was absolutely ridiculous BUT people wanting herb hand run off is pretty justifiable. He just not had a good OL for many years. He was brought in to be a great recruiter or like we said that is what the narrative is on him and he really did not even show us that. But on the flip side the farther we get away from Jay Boulware and Scott Fountain as our special teams coaches the bigger and better their reputation gets. You would think Jay Boulware is the GOAT special teams coach ever with the way some Auburn people talk about him lol. Scott Fountain got ONE big recruit in his whole time here in Calvin Ashley and all of sudden they want to break the bank to bring him back. It can get pretty ridiculous both ways.

46 minutes ago, alexava said:

I do remember the rumor on the board that Muschamp had Coach Lance Thompson keep his eye on Garner or something like that. Garner got a lot of s*** but we also saw how he could recruit and coach at an elite level. Herb never had that benefit. He did have fans that were willing to excuse his Penn State units poor performances for the lack of scholarships though.

Herb loved Auburn, loved being a co-coordinator with Gus at Tulsa.  It is tough to be a tough coach when you run sissy practices and have a peculiar practice schedule/set up.  Most people change and some know it all.

46 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will give you the garner one was absolutely ridiculous BUT people wanting herb hand run off is pretty justifiable. He just not had a good OL for many years. He was brought in to be a great recruiter or like we said that is what the narrative is on him and he really did not even show us that. But on the flip side the farther we get away from Jay Boulware and Scott Fountain as our special teams coaches the bigger and better their reputation gets. You would think Jay Boulware is the GOAT special teams coach ever with the way some Auburn people talk about him lol. Scott Fountain got ONE big recruit in his whole time here in Calvin Ashley and all of sudden they want to break the bank to bring him back. It can get pretty ridiculous both ways.

Until Craig Sanders and McNeal( don’t remember first name and not the one in prison) showed up folks wanted Boulware fired too. 

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Herb loved Auburn, loved being a co-coordinator with Gus at Tulsa.  It is tough to be a tough coach when you run sissy practices and have a peculiar practice schedule/set up.  Most people change and some know it all.

I think we all know what your talking about. I thought Gus fixed that when Muschamp came from UF?

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I think we all know what your talking about. I thought Gus fixed that when Muschamp came from UF?

I heard that was muschamps demand. Haven’t heard anything on the matter since. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol so according to this website Hands offensive line ranks the last 4 years (2 at Penn St and 2 at AU) 97,69,92 and 121. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOF. I think we can all agree Herb Hand is not what is best for AU! lol btw JB grimes last year in 2015 the AU OL was ranked 24th and in 2014 it was ranked 31st...........

Thanks for using stats for validating points, although some of the older gentlemen consider them meaningless. Unless of course, it fits their agenda. Look the guy was awful. To even compare him to what Travis Williams has been doing is just absolutely illogical in every fashion of the word. Yet some people think it is honorable to defend this mess. I guess the old adage, with age, comes wisdom is being put to the test.

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

wishful thinking and it is beyond just the ones going against the ones with no tackling or pads

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

wishful thinking and it is beyond just the ones going against the ones with no tackling or pads

That's concerning. Might explain why we got whipped up front by UGA and UCF. I think the Alabama game was 50/50, but I'll have to read Coach's game notes in the forum. 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

did coach hand not have to change the blocking scheme that chip wanted? i wonder if he was not happy with that and wanted to stick with what he felt the most comfortable with? but people should give gus props for making a change at coaching he really hated to make? someone certainly pulled the trigger for a change and i believe maybe gus is trying to build the best staff he can get? i think this is a great sign gus is evolving but i am just guessing here.

Shouldn't the OC have a say into who his position coaches are?  Maybe CCL has some thoughts on how the OL should be coached in order for his offense to be effective?  Could it be that Gus is giving Chip more of a voice in the selection process?  I guess we'll never know but I don't have a problem with Herb to Texas after our last two football games.

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

I heard that was muschamps demand. Haven’t heard anything on the matter since. 

Yeah. If Gus is scared of injuries then Gus seems scared of a lot of things. Qbs throwing interceptions, scared of underclassmen RBs fumbling....

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thanks for using stats for validating points, although some of the older gentleman consider them meaningless. Unless of course it fits their agenda. Look the guy was awful. To even compare him to what Travis Williams has been doing is just absolutely illogical in every fashion of the word.

That is where they lost me as well! lol. Comparing hand to Twill like what?! In what world sir??? IN WHAT WORLD?! haha.

Archived