Herb Hand to Texas

Auhud08

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

That is where they lost me as well! lol. Comparing hand to Twill like what?! In what world sir??? IN WHAT WORLD?! haha.

Consider your sources haha

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

wishful thinking and it is beyond just the ones going against the ones with no tackling or pads

For those that do not really know what is all of this is about could you please elaborate some? I remember reading steele was able to come to a compromise with gus and fix this problem.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is where they lost me as well! lol. Comparing hand to Twill like what?! In what world sir??? IN WHAT WORLD?! haha.

Travis should be the most sought after LB coach in the world. 

Just now, alexava said:

The world? No. Auburn? Yes. Hence why he is staying and Gus's great friend is heading to beavo land with the other Houston cowboys. Hopefully, that rock chalk Jayhawk defensive line doesn't stress him too much.

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I think he is the person on staff imo with the most potential to be a head coach someday. I see greatness in him. I see a leader of men. I see a guy who has absolutely turned around our sorry LB play for the better and is a awesome recruiter. Players and recruits absolutely love the guy. I want to say more but I do not want to bash gus haha. Been trying to be nicer to him lately.

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol so according to this website Hands offensive line ranks the last 4 years (2 at Penn St and 2 at AU) 97,69,92 and 121. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOF. I think we can all agree Herb Hand is not what is best for AU! 

Good gravy.....were we really that bad?

The biggest question I had all year was "why are we so inconsistent with the most experienced OL in the NCAA?"  We have talent being developed and all.....right?  

If we did not have KJ stepping up, we would have dropped a couple more games - 100% certain.

44 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Good gravy.....were we really that bad?

The biggest question I had all year was "why are we so inconsistent with the most experienced OL in the NCAA?"  We have talent being developed and all.....right?  

If we did not have KJ stepping up, we would have dropped a couple more games - 100% certain.

True about KJ but a lot of people criticize the coaches for that too. Pissed we used him but admit we lose otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

That's concerning. Might explain why we got whipped up front by UGA and UCF. I think the Alabama game was 50/50, but I'll have to read Coach's game notes in the forum. 

So less than two weeks before Auburn completely dominates UGA on both lines only to be sissified in the rematch..and in between beats one of if not the best fronts in Alabama....but the UGA/UCF losses were because of how practices were ran? Not enough ones on ones that late in the season? IMO there were too many mistakes in the rematch against UGA, and imo guys just did not care about the UCF game...

26 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

So less than two weeks before Auburn completely dominates UGA on both lines only to be sissified in the rematch..and in between beats one of if not the best fronts in Alabama....but the UGA/UCF losses were because of how practices were ran? Not enough ones on ones that late in the season? IMO there were too many mistakes in the rematch against UGA, and imo guys just did not care about the UCF game...

.ITs just speculation based on what the poster said.  Lindsey said they didn't spend alot of time on UCF, because they were focusing on young guys. You can blame Lame practices, blame Hand, you can blame lack of focus, over confidence, what ever. But it's been posted already that practices are soft. It starts and ends up front. They dominated UGA, JMR said they won more than they lost against alabama with good pass protection. Sure they played great but for whatever ended the season sour.

36 sacks. Dude. 

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah. If Gus is scared of injuries then Gus seems scared of a lot of things. Qbs throwing interceptions, scared of underclassmen RBs fumbling....

Yep sissified.

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Strange move by Herman. His former O-Line coach must have been a scrub.

Edit: Oh, he was. 

Your post doesnt show an edit timestamp? :laugh:

8 hours ago, gulftiger66 said:

Shouldn't the OC have a say into who his position coaches are?  Maybe CCL has some thoughts on how the OL should be coached in order for his offense to be effective?  Could it be that Gus is giving Chip more of a voice in the selection process?  I guess we'll never know but I don't have a problem with Herb to Texas after our last two football games.

i am not taking up for or dissin anyone. i just read where coach hand had to change the scheme he likes the o line to run. heck it could be coach hand wanted more input in the o scheme thus the move to tejas since coach lindsey was hired. my pardons i was actually asking if that could be  the reason for him leaving and i just did not state that right. sorry for any confusion........

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Had to look him up before I posted! Either that or I got drunk and thought I was being clever. ? You choose! 

I hate choosing

Edit: but I’ll choose the later.

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will give you the garner one was absolutely ridiculous BUT people wanting herb hand run off is pretty justifiable. He just not had a good OL for many years. He was brought in to be a great recruiter or like we said that is what the narrative is on him and he really did not even show us that. But on the flip side the farther we get away from Jay Boulware and Scott Fountain as our special teams coaches the bigger and better their reputation gets. You would think Jay Boulware is the GOAT special teams coach ever with the way some Auburn people talk about him lol. Scott Fountain got ONE big recruit in his whole time here in Calvin Ashley and all of sudden they want to break the bank to bring him back. It can get pretty ridiculous both ways.

I will say that I begged the cosmos 5 years ago for Gus to keep Boulware. Folks forget that the first play of that terrible 2011 season was true freshman Tre Mason returning a kick for a touchdown. Boulware's crew was always good-to-very good.

But I agree about Hand. Seems like our last good OL recruiting class happened under Grimes, and several of those guys didn't seem to work out under Hand. And if Ashley was Fountain's guy, then Herb absolutely didn't live up to billing as a recruiter. 

All those sacks against UCF. SMDH. Maybe Herb was already on his way out. 

12 hours ago, metafour said:

Rodney Garner already has the "Associate HC" title and he makes nowhere near $2 million, he doesn't even make half of that.  Really struggling to not be a dick here, but your suggestion is absurd.  No position coach anywhere makes that much money.  We pay Kevin Steele $1.2 million, you think an OL coach is getting $800k+ more than a DC? What kind of reaction do you think Steele and Lindsay have seeing that figure LOL? 

Mississippi State and Arkansas just hired HEAD COACHES for $3.5 million my man.  HEAD COACHES.

Ok, so let me try and update this another way. Why not identify who we think is the best OL coach in the country....considering everything, including recruiting....offer him 100k to $200k more than he is making now, and give him another title as well.

For my money, I would go strong after UGA's OL coach, and pay him handsomely.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Don't worry he will be, just give him a little more time.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Thanks for using stats for validating points, although some of the older gentlemen consider them meaningless. Unless of course, it fits their agenda. Look the guy was awful. To even compare him to what Travis Williams has been doing is just absolutely illogical in every fashion of the word. Yet some people think it is honorable to defend this mess. I guess the old adage, with age, comes wisdom is being put to the test.

Get off my lawn or I'll hit you with my crutch! Hand went to Texas and got a promotion in the process. Are you happy with J. B. grimes as his replacement?

9 hours ago, alexava said:

True about KJ but a lot of people criticize the coaches for that too. Pissed we used him but admit we lose otherwise. 

I think there is a valid criticism of the coaches in that they did not use the backup RBs more late in games that we were winning big to give them game experience.  This put unnecessary burden on KJ and didn't prepare the backups as a contingency in the (almost inevitable) event that KJ got hurt.  If we had had a reliable backup RB for the SECCG, would things have gone differently?  Maybe not, but it just makes sense to get backups playing time (and rest the starters) when you have an opportunity to. 

7 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I think there is a valid criticism of the coaches in that they did not use the backup RBs more late in games that we were winning big to give them game experience.  This put unnecessary burden on KJ and didn't prepare the backups as a (almost inevitable) contingency in the event that KJ got hurt.  If we had had a reliable backup RB for the SECCG, would things have gone differently?  Maybe not, but it just makes sense to get backups playing time (and rest the starters) when you have an opportunity to. 

To add to this, the team was so invested in KJ that when he was not 100% during the SECCG the offense folded when JS fumbled while we could have gone up by 2 scores.  The team, in my opinion, did not have confidence in another RB to carry the load.  If we had an experienced #2 RB, as triangle posted above, things might have been different.

Gus doesn't do contingencies and we’ve had injuries late in the season in 15, 16 and now 17.  In 13 and 14 we were lucky the injury bug didn’t hit.  I wonder what Gus’ contingencies were for those seasons?

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

To add to this, the team was so invested in KJ that when he was not 100% during the SECCG the offense folded when JS fumbled while we could have gone up by 2 scores.  The team, in my opinion, did not have confidence in another RB to carry the load.  If we had an experienced #2 RB, as triangle posted above, things might have been different.

There is another way of looking at this... KJ just played at such a level that he was a true difference maker and not having him in there allowed flaws elsewhere (like the O-Line) to overcome us. I'm inclined to believe that KJ's new focus on patience, combined with his overall ability, was the difference maker and it wasn't going to just be replaced by the next man up when he was out of the game.

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol so according to this website Hands offensive line ranks the last 4 years (2 at Penn St and 2 at AU) 97,69,92 and 121. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOF. I think we can all agree Herb Hand is not what is best for AU! lol btw JB grimes last year in 2015 the AU OL was ranked 24th and in 2014 it was ranked 31st...........

Clearly Gus read your post!

Archived