2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

With respect to the new OL coach, I am much more concerned with how well the OL actually plays in the 2018 season, than anything else. That and how well he continues to develop his players will be his best recruiting tool. If he can also recruit that's great, but if he can't, a good recruiter can help him. One of the benefits of the early signing period is that it allows the entire staff to be able to focus on fewer recruits during the final push. 

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

Per 247

Horton and Sharpe were recruited and signed as offensive tackles 2015 class

No one with a brain thought that Horton was an OT.  Sharpe, a marginal signing at best.  Kid was tiny out of HS.  Reminded me of that TE signing from a few years back who didn't even look athletic playing against HS kids. 

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

No one with a brain thought that Horton was an OT.  Sharpe, a marginal signing at best.  Kid was tiny out of HS.  Reminded me of that TE signing from a few years back who didn't even look athletic playing against HS kids. 

I didn't make the statement that zero were signed in three years somebody else did I just provided some names.

Edited by aufan57
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

You're always so derogatory and try to put people down I just don't understand it

As the saying goes, his dick mode switch is stuck in the On position. Don't take it personally. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

How many years does Grimes have left?  Not sure how this can possibly be seen as a good move from a recruiting perspective.  We have failed to sign true Tackles for a long time.  We had 2 transfers starting last year for the most part.   Ashley, Troxall and Simmons are the only true tackles that we have signed in 3-4 years, does that sound right?

10 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I didn't make the statement that zero were signed in three years somebody else did I just provided some names.

Anyone who knows anything knew that Horton wasn't an SEC tackle, so the fact that he was "recruited as an OT" seriously doesn't mean s***.  Its literally recruiting white-noise that you all fall for time and time again.  He obviously didn't have the frame or length or agility of an OT, and guess what, he's not playing the position anymore.  Shocker, right?

So we signed two guys, one an obvious non-prospect at the position, and the other the literal definition of an uber-project.  Bailey Sharpe is the kid you take to fill the last spot in a class who could develop into something in 3 years.  The fact that he was signed under the pretense of being the only OT in a class is asinine.  He weighed like 240-250 pounds when he got here.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, metafour said:

Anyone who knows anything knew that Horton wasn't an SEC tackle, so the fact that he was "recruited as an OT" seriously doesn't mean s***.  Its literally recruiting white-noise that you all fall for time and time again.  He obviously didn't have the frame or length or agility of an OT, and guess what, he's not playing the position anymore.  Shocker, right?

So we signed two guys, one an obvious non-prospect at the position, and the other the literal definition of an uber-project.  Bailey Sharpe is the kid you take to fill the last spot in a class who could develop into something in 3 years.  The fact that he was signed under the pretense of being the only OT in a class is asinine.  He weighed like 240-250 pounds when he got here.

Does it suck being a mad all the time? 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Ashley, Troxall and Simmons are the only true tackles that we have signed in 3-4 years

Point of factuality. We signed Bro-Hamm in 2016. He is a tackle. Can't remember how we recruited him but word is he is competing well at OT. We signed Bailey Sharp in 2015 & recruited him as such.

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Does it suck being a mad all the time? 

He's not mad att the time. He just enjoys and gets off on being a Richard to everyone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Point of factuality. We signed Bro-Hamm in 2016. He is a tackle. Can't remember how we recruited him but word is he is competing well at OT. We signed Bailey Sharp in 2015 & recruited him as such.

I thought Hamm was a guard and heard that he is pushing at guard and that is why Horton to center experiment was happening with Harrell and Hamm at Guard.  :dunno:    Forgot about Sharp, thanks

Edited by auburnphan

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I thought Hamm was a guard and heard that he is pushing at guard and that is why Horton to center experiment was happening with Harrell and Hamm at Guard.  :dunno:    Forgot about Sharp, thanks

Either one of us could be right or wrong on Hamm going forward. I got my info on him being an OT now from an AU reporter but he could be wrong too. Hamm wasn't the name I heard making noise at OG FWIW.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Either one of us could be right or wrong on Hamm going forward. I got my info on him being an OT now from an AU reporter but he could be wrong too. Hamm wasn't the name I heard making noise at OG FWIW.

Regardless of where we have heard Hamm is playing it is just awesome to hear that he is doing well after dealing with cancer.  Hope Manning contributes a few snaps on the D-line this year too.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Some folks got their Corn Flakes pissed in this morning. Lol. And another just seems to be on an eternal pre-menstrual cycle. 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Some folks got their Corn Flakes pissed in this morning. Lol. And another just seems to be on an eternal pre-menstrual cycle. 

Sheesh...I'd rather be in the 1st group.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, auburnphan said:

This is correct. Like it or not, get mad at me and met, but the OT position is a cluster and he is 100% right in that post. Huge huge cluster. It's a joe problem not x&o problem. Grimes doesn't help here. 

• Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is correct. Like it or not, get mad at me and met, but the OT position is a cluster and he is 100% right in that post. Huge huge cluster. It's a joe problem not x&o problem. Grimes doesn't help here. 

Grimes' teaching balances things out more than you would think.  I mean he took Leff and made him a NFL player.  Yes, having a bunch of 4&5 star players to start out with makes things easier, but Grimes has proven he can coach up all levels of OL talent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Grimes' teaching balances things out more than you would think.  I mean he took Leff and made him a NFL player.  Yes, having a bunch of 4&5 star players to start out with makes things easier, but Grimes has proven he can coach up all levels of OL talent.

Grrrr. How dare you make such a statement to counterbalance the inherent pessimism some have on this board?

• Like 1

Just now, SumterAubie said:

Grrrr. How dare you make such a statement to counterbalance the inherent pessimism some have on this board?

My thoughts exactly. There's too much time left until next season to be so down on the program.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My thoughts exactly. There's too much time left until next season to be so down on the program.

There are several members  here who are slow to post anything  positive about Auburn. But never miss an opportunity to sling mud at the program

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

There are several members  here who are slow to post anything  positive about Auburn. But never miss an opportunity to sling mud at the program

I think it's a hard line to toe between sunshine pumpers and pessimistic. Regardless, we're all Auburn fans and should approach each other respectfully and politely.

We just have too many polarizing issues right now. "Grimes is a settling pick / Grimes is a tremendous coach", "Gus should be fired / Gus is our best option right now", "K Burns is terrible / K Burns is coming along and is a good recruiter."

There's not a lot of common ground or middle ground lately.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Leff had the frame (6'6) and length to play tackle.  The issue I see, which STARTED with J.B. Grimes, was a complete lack of recruiting actual tackles.  Who signed Robert Leff? The previous staff did, led by Jeff Grimes.  Once J.B. Grimes jumped on board there seemed to be a new strategy to target 1-2 elite actual tackles per class (eg: Martez Ivey) which he undoubtedly wasn't good enough as a recruiter to land, and then we'd be left sitting on NSD with 2-3 clear guard prospects and a Bailey Sharpe as your "tackle" in the class.  What kind of recruiting is that? Bad recruiting, thats what kind.  Then I have to come on here and have someone try and tell me that Mike Horton was a tackle LOL.  Yeah buddy, 6'3 320 is the absolute dream measurements I think of when I picture a tackle.

We've got a few guys on roster now who have the physical capacity to play tackle, so hopefully Grimes can do something there, but someone needs to slap Malzahn upside the head and teach him how to actually recruit the position because this whole yearly show and dance of finding some scrub who can't hold down a starting job at Texas or FSU to come in and save our season is pathetic.  Why the hell didn't we take the Goss kid? If you want a kid with the frame to actually play tackle that Grimes can hopefully "mold", there it was.  Surely we knew that once Hand was out that our chances of landing the longshots we were banking on would diminish significantly.

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

Leff had the frame (6'6) and length to play tackle.  The issue I see, which STARTED with J.B. Grimes, was a complete lack of recruiting actual tackles.  Who signed Robert Leff? The previous staff did, led by Jeff Grimes.  Once J.B. Grimes jumped on board there seemed to be a new strategy to target 1-2 elite actual tackles per class (eg: Martez Ivey) which he undoubtedly wasn't good enough as a recruiter to land, and then we'd be left sitting on NSD with 2-3 clear guard prospects and a Bailey Sharpe as your "tackle" in the class.  

We've got a few guys on roster now who have the physical capacity to play tackle, so hopefully Grimes can do something there, but someone needs to slap Malzahn upside the head and teach him how to actually recruit the position because this whole yearly show and dance of finding some scrub who can't hold down a starting job at Texas or FSU to come in and save our season is pathetic.  Why the hell didn't we take the Goss kid? If you want a kid with the frame to actually play tackle that Grimes can hopefully "mold", there it was.  Surely we knew that once Hand was out that our chances of landing the longshots we were banking on would diminish significantly.

Leff was recruited by the previous staff and many howled at how he was a scrub from Podunk. Grimes was able to fulfil and utilize his potential.  We have a lot of underutilized talent that was not going to be recognized while Hand was the coach. Hopefully Grimes can get the talent to realize their potential.

I agree about Goss, he was a very athletic kid that could've been molded nicely.

• Like 1