2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

With the talent we have at Receiver, QB and at RB with the incoming players the time is now for the Offense. For the Offense to take advantage of that they need a line that can win this year. Whether Hand had stayed or we  got another O-Line coach other than Grimes even if we pull in a couple of OT's that we want they won't be ready as Freshman. Right now we have three true OT's Ashley and the two Princes all of who have the measurable s of true OT's There may be a couple of others but right now we need those three to develop and start.  Grimes has shown he is the type of Coach who can develop those players. We have two to three years out of those players. If he can develop those three and find one more usable option at OT we are pretty set on the O-line Horton and Harrell showed they can play guard in the SEC and we have a lot of players who I believe can play Center or backup guards as needed.

Unless you are a bama type who reloads every year when you have the potential to play for the top you have to take advantage of it. If the O-line gels and we can shore up Safety and CB we have a shot this year.  I believe Grimes gives us the best chance to get the type of O-Line we will need this year.  Worse case is Gus brought Grimes in just to improve O-Line play for this year and is a very needed stop gap best case is Grimes is fired up and with the other recruiters we will start pulling in the players we want. If he is a stop gap and he does with the line what I expect this year worse case is pretty darn good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With the talent we have at Receiver, QB and at RB with the incoming players the time is now for the Offense. For the Offense to take advantage of that they need a line that can win this year. Whether Hand had stayed or we  got another O-Line coach other than Grimes even if we pull in a couple of OT's that we want they won't be ready as Freshman. Right now we have three true OT's Ashley and the two Princes all of who have the measurable s of true OT's There may be a couple of others but right now we need those three to develop and start.  Grimes has shown he is the type of Coach who can develop those players. We have two to three years out of those players. If he can develop those three and find one more usable option at OT we are pretty set on the O-line Horton and Harrell showed they can play guard in the SEC and we have a lot of players who I believe can play Center or backup guards as needed.

Unless you are a bama type who reloads every year when you have the potential to play for the top you have to take advantage of it. If the O-line gels and we can shore up Safety and CB we have a shot this year.  I believe Grimes gives us the best chance to get the type of O-Line we will need this year.  Worse case is Gus brought Grimes in just to improve O-Line play for this year and is a very needed stop gap best case is Grimes is fired up and with the other recruiters we will start pulling in the players we want. If he is a stop gap and he does with the line what I expect this year worse case is pretty darn good.

Exactly. We have a QB. Let's make hay. 

What's funny to me about the current conversation is, last time I checked, the recruiting coordinators and head coach pick who we go after, not the position coach. The position coach is obviously involved in the recruitment once those decisions are made, but you can't dog on him for deciding who we go after. 

Another thing to think about is that recruiting is a team sport. Grimes has some great selling points, as does the Auburn offense for Offensive Linemen. If those aren't getting through to the recruits, then our top recruiters need to step up and fix that. 

Right now, our Offensive Line had a problem, they were fundamentally undercoached. With Grimes, we know that won't be an issue. Problem solved. Other means can be taken to fix recruiting problems.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

last time I checked, the recruiting coordinators and head coach pick who we go after, not the position coach.

With due respect, this is more wrong than right. Gus does decide on the QB & gives heavy input on RB & WR but for the rest he usually lets the position coaches go after who they want. They still have to go back to Gus for the formality of an offer. If he says no that's more because of limited space at a position based on needs at other positions. But within the number Gus gives each positions coach they can pretty much go after whoever they want. Also the recruiting coordinator develops an overall game plan of how to recruit prospect & who recruits what areas, but not decide who we go after.

• Like 1

I thought that Troxell & Sammons were recruited as OTs.  I think either will be ready hopefully in a season or so to step in as 1st unit tackles.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With due respect, this is more wrong than right. Gus does decide on the QB & gives heavy input on RB & WR but for the rest he usually lets the position coaches go after who they want. They still have to go back to Gus for the formality of an offer. If he says no that's more because of limited space at a position based on needs at other positions. But within the number Gus gives each positions coach they can pretty much go after whoever they want. Also the recruiting coordinator develops an overall game plan of how to recruit prospect & who recruits what areas, but not decide who we go after.

This and then it is more complicated than that. Why your recruiting coordinator is so important. There is so much that goes into recruiting. Don’t know where to start. 

Just now, doc4aday said:

I thought that Troxell & Sammons were recruited as OTs.  I think either will be ready hopefully in a season or so to step in as 1st unit tackles.

Troxell isn’t ready yet I’m told. Knee. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Troxell isn’t ready yet I’m told. Knee. 

I know he had major ACL surgery,  but he should be in the mix this fall I would hope. If you are out there Ellitor or Bigbird, do you have any updates on Troxell?

Isn't Coach Porter supposed to be the best recruiter or one of the best we have on staff?

33 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I know he had major ACL surgery,  but he should be in the mix this fall I would hope. If you are out there Ellitor or Bigbird, do you have any updates on Troxell?

I don't, sorry

33 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

@passthebiscuits

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Thanks for the insight. I had always heard that Gus pretty well controlled who was on our radar. I guess I've watched to many movies where the staff sits around in a room and decides who's on the board.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

WDE is more connected than me & maybe Bird too. If WDE says he's not ready right now then that's likely right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^from med standpoint he had a bit of a setback in recovery. Can’t go into specifics but he might be delayed in testing the knee. By this spring, he really needs to be pushing some weights on it...we will know more then. 

Edited by passthebiscuits
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

^from med standpoint he had a bit of a setback in recovery. Can’t go into specifics but he might be delayed in testing the knee. By this spring, he really needs to be pushing some weights on it...we will know more then. 

Hate to hear that.  I have high hopes for this kid.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks for the insight. I had always heard that Gus pretty well controlled who was on our radar. I guess I've watched to many movies where the staff sits around in a room and decides who's on the board.

Draft Day?    fun movie

Moneyball was greatness when all the scouts sat around the table and they discussed players.   "No confidence."  Why?   "He has an ugly girlfriend."

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Is Brahms ok?

I should hope so. The team awarded him Scout team player of the year at the team awards banquet last month.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Is Brahms ok?

He is another 4 star player that I have high hopes for.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Draft Day?    fun movie

Moneyball was greatness when all the scouts sat around the table and they discussed players.   "No confidence."  Why?   "He has an ugly girlfriend."

Moneyball was one of the most underrated movies of all times!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread. Let's look at some worst case scenarios... If Anderson goes to UT Austin/Michigan, Wonnum to USCe, and miss out on Allen, who do we go after?

Now I'll say, the linemen we have on roster should be fine as far as development but coming into the next few seasons we're gonna need bodies to develope. That's probably my only reservation about the Grimes rehire.

4 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Let's look at some worst case scenarios... If Anderson goes to UT Austin/Michigan, Wonnum to USCe, and miss out on Allen, who do we go after?

2019. There's virtually nothing left in this class we can get. Not taking Jalen Goss in early December ended up hurting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Bumping this thread. Let's look at some worst case scenarios... If Anderson goes to UT Austin/Michigan, Wonnum to USCe, and miss out on Allen, who do we go after?

Now I'll say, the linemen we have on roster should be fine as far as development but coming into the next few seasons we're gonna need bodies to develope. That's probably my only reservation about the Grimes rehire.

It looks like your scenario is where things are heading. My concern with Grimes is that no one professes him to be a great recruiter. I’m ready to hire a coach who is described as a relentless and tireless recruiter. We have some of those, but the staffs at UAT and now UGA seem to have more. If we are going to keep up, we need a more tenacious closer than JG.