2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

I wish Herb Hand the best at Texas but he has left our O Line recruiting a bit of a mess.  He came in knowing he needed 4-5, 2 being OTs, & only got us 2.. Now we are left w/ whoever the new OL coach is, scrambling for either 2 OTs or an OT & a swing guy that can play multiple positions. Barring hiring a new OL coach who is already at a big time school that has long relationships with the kids, I don't see where we get a quality OL from high school to add to the class. Hand was why AU led for Gouraige. Odds seems long for AU now. My guess is Clemson gets Gouraige if they want him. As for the class it's a big mystery who we get now.

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I wish Herb Hand the best at Texas but he has left our O Line recruiting a bit of a mess.  He came in knowing he needed 4-5, 2 being OTs, & only got us 2.. Now we are left w/ whoever the new OL coach is, scrambling for either 2 OTs or an OT & a swing guy that can play multiple positions. Barring hiring a new OL coach who is already at a big time school that has long relationships with the kids, I don't see where we get a quality OL from high school to add to the class. Hand was why AU led for Gouraige. Odds seems long for AU now. My guess is Clemson gets Gouraige if they want him. As for the class it's a big mystery who we get now.

Wow, I really didn't see this coming but I'm pleased he's gone. Not too impressed with him as a coach or as a recruiter. The interesting thing is who we hire from here. A splash hire would maybe help pull in some last second help at OL...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Wow, I really didn't see this coming but I'm pleased he's gone. Not too impressed with him as a coach or as a recruiter. The interesting thing is who we hire from here. A splash hire would maybe help pull in some last second help at OL...

In terms of the current class we need someone who already has a relationship with unsigned recruits left more than we need splash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

In terms of the current class we need someone who already has a relationship with unsigned recruits left more than we need splash.

Why not both :Sing:

15 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Herb Hand is just like McGriff. When he’s finally about to make a long-awaited impact in recruiting, he bolts for another school. 

Big difference CWM was developing players while he was here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

E. if anyone knows it' you.  assuming we miss out on another quality lineman for this year,what does the 2019 class look like overall for lineman?   weak or strong?

I don't know. I don't start paying much attention to the next class til after the current one is finished.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I don't know. I don't start paying much attention to the next class til after the current one is finished.

that  right. the early signing period has me thrown off.    at least I will not have to take a day off work to watch national signing day.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I see where Texas was recruiting him at least at one time. Any chance they will be a player with Hand going there?

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I see where Texas was recruiting him at least at one time. Any chance they will be a player with Hand going there?

Not sure he's willing to travel that far.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

People underestimate how much a dedicated player showing on social media helps in recruiting.

If the right pieces are in place it can help but those right pieces are only in place for a few teams a year. It's great though for overall class & later team chemistry.

Edited by ellitor

I had assumed that any coaching changes would wait until after signing day. I know a lot of people had stats, etc. that didn't favor Hand. I'm neutral about him leaving but the timing sucks for us.

• Like 2

Ok so a big deal has been made about JB's ability to recruit...He's coached numerous all-Americans and an o-line that helped become the first team in sec history to lead the nation in rushing...What more can you tell a recruit than that? That should be the lure and the other recruiters can take care of the other stuff...It shouldn't be that hard this way right?

Edited by WFE12

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

What more can you tell a recruit than that?

Recruiting is more than just saying stuff like that. It's about selling, which other coaches will likely have to do for JB.  I'm ok with that. The good news is JB is a great tactician & on field coach & might be the perfect guy on that end of things to create a good OL out of the jumbled mess we have now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Ok so a big deal has been made about JB's ability to recruit...He's coached numerous all-Americans and an o-line that helped become the first team in sec history to lead the nation in rushing...What more can you tell a recruit than that? That should be the lure and the other recruiters can take care of the other stuff...It shouldn't be that hard this way right?

He's also a bit of a closer. A few guys (including Kim) picked Auburn specifically because he would be their position coach. Not saying there isn't a hole left in the procurement area, but he won't be a total non-factor. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Got reminded of this by a former player just now....... went 3 years without signing a OT under Grimes. 

Per 247

Horton and Sharpe were recruited and signed as offensive tackles 2015 class

Edited by aufan57
  • Like 1