2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Thanks!  It is just something I enjoy.  Very relaxing.  Here what what I am in the process of trying to save if you wanted to know:

Endlers-Liverbearer-Endler-Guppies-endler-fish-care-information-endlers-liverbearers-for-sale-AquaticMag-6.jpg

This is a male.  The females are bigger and silver.  Not as appealing.  Originally from Venezuela.  Once their government was overthrown, only a few people were allowed to fly in and given access to the lake to try and save as many as they could before the new government used the lakes as dumping grounds.

Just curious, is this a live bearing fish or some kind of guppy? I did my senior research in college on a small ornamental live bearing fish and was wondering if they were closely related

2 minutes ago, WarGolfEagle said:

Just curious, is this a live bearing fish or some kind of guppy? I did my senior research in college on a small ornamental live bearing fish and was wondering if they were closely related

No worries!  This is a livebearing fish that is not a guppy, but closely related in the species.  It is a Black Bar Endler, or Poecilia wingei.  N Class, Pure-Strain.  You can find similar looking fish in big-box stores like PetCo and PetSmart, but they are so inbred and pumped full of hormones they all carry diseases and barely have any genetics left.  I never ever purchase from them at all.  Feel free to message me if you wanted to know more!  I enjoy these subjects.  I just did not want to muck up this thread (sorry E).  Here is the tank they reside in (everything is real, no fake plants).  If I may brag on myself a little, this aquarium won an award for July 2017 as the best aquascaped aquarium on an international level (aquascape is the placement of plants, driftwood, substrate, etc).  Selling seedlings from the plants in this tank that won the award are what enable me to do my conservation.  I even have the lighting set to mimic sunrises and sunsets and have similar fishmates that get along with these fish:

Endlers-Liverbearer-Endler-Guppies-endler-fish-care-information-endlers-liverbearers-for-sale-AquaticMag-6.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WarGolfEagle said:

Great name @WarGolfEagle welcome to AUF

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

No worries!  This is a livebearing fish that is not a guppy, but closely related in the species.  It is a Black Bar Endler, or Poecilia wingei.  N Class, Pure-Strain.  You can find similar looking fish in big-box stores like PetCo and PetSmart, but they are so inbred and pumped full of hormones they all carry diseases and barely have any genetics left.  I never ever purchase from them at all.  Feel free to message me if you wanted to know more!  I enjoy these subjects.  I just did not want to muck up this thread (sorry E).  Here is the tank they reside in (everything is real, no fake plants).  If I may brag on myself a little, this aquarium won an award for July 2017 as the best aquascaped aquarium on an international level (aquascape is the placement of plants, driftwood, substrate, etc).  Selling seedlings from the plants in this tank that won the award are what enable me to do my conservation.  I even have the lighting set to mimic sunrises and sunsets and have similar fishmates that get along with these fish:

Beautiful work. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Interesting stuff. Are you aware of the fish activist are trying to preserve here in limestone county? Pygmy Sunfish I think? It has been an issue in the construction of the Toyota/Mazda plant and a nearby bridge. 

I am a duck hunter. I hunt for sport but eat everything I kill. I let the diver ducks fly on (they taste like they were marinated in a sewer)because I don’t clean or eat them. I hope I’m not on the wrong side of the fence for you. 

Edited by alexava
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, abw0004 said:

PETA is a necessary contrast.  They are the counter to the other side that thinks they should be able to hunt every endangered animal on the planet.  It's like Trump's opposite is Pelosi.  I am not a donor or supporter of PETA but I am big in the animals rights world.  I am more aligned with WWF and Sea Shepard.

For me, what turned me off from them is they do not think that any aquarium is okay to have.  And I disagree in the sense that I am federally licensed to breed a type of fish that is extinct in the wild.  And I am part of an effort to help bring the population back to reintroduce to the wild.  The only was I can do this is through my aquariums.  But I do see their side where a lot of people cram fish in a tank way too small, or think bigger species like whales should be in captivity at all.

Sorry for getting in-depth and political on everyone.  Just a topic (animal rights) that is very near and dear to my heart.  For what it is worth, I am not against hunting if done for the right reason (food) and legally/humanely. 

You just made a fan abw!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I just did not want to muck up this thread (sorry E).

Nothing to be sorry about. It's been an enjoyable & enlightening. I spent the 1st 12 years of my life just off Dauphin Island, Alabama. It's impossible for me to not like water & marine life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WarGolfEagle said:
10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Great name @WarGolfEagle welcome to AUF

Thank you, much appreciated! Yours as well. 

Ohhh No! There's 2 of them now?! Welp there goes the forums.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yep!  We all know what happened when the second 4ever showed up.  😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, alexava said:

Interesting stuff. Are you aware of the fish activist are trying to preserve here in limestone county? Pygmy Sunfish I think? It has been an issue in the construction of the Toyota/Mazda plant and a nearby bridge. 

I am a duck hunter. I hunt for sport but eat everything I kill. I let the diver ducks fly on (they taste like they were marinated in a sewer)because I don’t clean or eat them. I hope I’m not on the wrong side of the fence for you. 

I am not aware of that there, although it doesn’t surprise me at all.  The problem that is arising is that the heads of the EPA under the current administration are tearing a new one into the environment and protect species.  For instance, the are now allowing coal plants to dump their ash into protected rivers again, which is detrimental.  Just not good.  And not on the wrong side of the fence!  Like I said, I’m not against hunting for food.  It’s the trophy hunting I am against.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nothing to be sorry about. It's been an enjoyable & enlightening. I spent the 1st 12 years of my life just off Dauphin Island, Alabama. It's impossible for me to not like water & marine life.

My mother’s side of the family is from Mobile.  All went to St. Paul’s and my grandmother taught there as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

Yep!  We all know what happened when the second 4ever showed up.  😂

You actually are the 2nd 4ever by 9 days. Golf & Bird has said before he's been around longer than that through other AU message boards.

You're an improvement so there is hope for the new Golf yet!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

No, there's only one of the other guy...Thank God

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Me: I wonder how O-Line recruiting is going.

Forum: FISH

I kid. That’s some pretty cool stuff @abw0004

A98FAA01-1E1F-4C4A-9FD1-91AC4AF2AD17.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

i did a little night snook fishing over the holiday in the sarasota area. am i allowed in the thread now. 

finally seeing some life after the red tide epidemic they got. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beaumak said:

i did a little night snook fishing over the holiday in the sarasota area. am i allowed in the thread now. 

finally seeing some life after the red tide epidemic they got. 

How long did that last?

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

How long did that last?

It is still here...offshore winds yesterday made the beach unbearable.  They were fine today.  There are still blooms down in Sarasota but north is fine... Wife and I ride our bikes to the beach every Sunday for Brunch.  

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, alexava said:

How long did that last?

well... dang. to answer your question.

https://www.wfla.com/weather/red-tide/high-concentrations-of-red-tide-detected-again-in-sarasota-county/1688552347

i'm not a local there but it was bad to the point where you couldn't go near the beach without it burning your eyes.

6 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

It is still here...offshore winds yesterday made the beach unbearable.  They were fine today.  There are still blooms down in Sarasota but north is fine... Wife and I ride our bikes to the beach every Sunday for Brunch.  

so beautiful there. i was at long boat key. holy cow. awesome. hopefully those currents and the waters get back to some normalcy.

46 minutes ago, beaumak said:

so beautiful there. i was at long boat key. holy cow. awesome. hopefully those currents and the waters get back to some normalcy.

We have Red Tide in some form or fashion every year.  however, this year it was really bad.  Part of the reason was they drained algae out of lake O in the south in August which cause an unusually large bloom this year and then the hurricane stirred it up offshore and blew it back in.  It will get back to normal when it gets colder and the algae have less to eat...or so we hope.  

We went to destin in October. Actually got evacuated second day. Hurricane. The first day the beach was unbearable. Before that I’d never heard of it.

14 hours ago, beaumak said:

I got married on Long Boat Key. 

• Love 1