2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good question...would like to see names, how they were rated and where they ended up.  

Hard to put names to it when Gus never showed the proper interest to OL recruits before this class who weren't his plan As. Had he done so & properly recruited them earlier in the cycle logic dictates we would have landed some of them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hard to put names to it when Gus never showed the proper interest to OL recruits before this class who weren't his plan As. Had he done so & properly recruited them earlier in the cycle logic dictates we would have landed some of them.

"logic dictates"?     ...assumptions.....usually you are pretty tuned in but I think this "claim" goes nowhere.  "Properly recruited"....you mean look at games involving some HS soph. and read the tea leaves to see the kid would turn out to be a college player.

Granted we could have done better but if you look back at the time all of our OL were signed by AU,  I bet you will see all kinds of glowing words about them.....and typically these kids are/were being recruited by most major schools in the region.   And did we misread the Ashleys and Cowarts of the world....should sonmeone at AU have perceived that despite the 5* rankings, they were somehow lacking?  

• Like 1

We only took 8 high school OL the past 4 classes. At minimum, that's half of what we needed to take. You do the math & get the logic. Regardless I'm not arguing with you. Believe what you want.

• Like 3

We’ve undersigned the OL for years. No question. We saw reports this year that all staff/analysts were asked to scour OL film for new prospects, but that should’ve been done year after year. It was disappointing to realize that hasn’t been done as a matter of course but only when we whiffed on our top prospects. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We only took 8 high school OL the past 4 classes. At minimum, that's half of what we needed to take. You do the math & get the logic. Regardless I'm not arguing with you. Believe what you want.

They're two of a kind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

We saw reports this year that all staff/analysts were asked to scour OL film for new prospects,

We have? I could have sworn @augolf1716 & maybe WDE have said the exact opposite.

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

Did Gus pass on OLs he could've easily gotten?

According to some, he must have only passed on the right ones and signed the wrong ones. We'll have 20 (twenty) scholarship OL guys going into fall practice if we sign two Wednesday. Had we signed more than 8 these past two years, where would we have found room for them? With all that backlog, how many more did we really want? If 20 is too few, how many OL players is enough? Would 35 do it?

Guess what? I bet we field a team with five OL starters come the 2019 season, and every season that follows. 20 players for five positions is four deep. That's close to an embarrassment of riches.

Just now, Mikey said:

According to some, he must have only passed on the right ones and signed the wrong ones. We'll have 20 (twenty) scholarship OL guys going into fall practice if we sign two Wednesday. Had we signed more than 8 these past two years, where would we have found room for them? With all that backlog, how many more did we really want? If 20 is too few, how many OL players is enough? Would 35 do it?

Guess what? I bet we field a team with five OL starters come the 2019 season, and every season that follows. 20 players for five positions is four deep. That's close to an embarrassment of riches.

Guss what? No fan or analyst would EVER describe our OL as a embarrassment of riches this past year or going forward. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! This is the worst position group on the got dang team mike! COME ON!!!!! There is not enough sunshine in the world for you to be pumping this much!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Guss what? No fan or analyst would EVER describe our OL as a embarrassment of riches this past year or going forward. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! This is the worst position group on the got dang team mike! COME ON!!!!! There is not enough sunshine in the world for you to be pumping this much!!!! 

These 20 guys were all desired recruits. The OL this past year made steady improvement. There will be five returning starters for the 2019 season. Those behind them are developing. I don't see the problem.

If you want to say our situation at LB or safety is dangerously thin, we could talk. Both those positions are only two deep in scholarship players, pending adding a signee or two later this week. The OL is four deep and that's enough for any coach to work with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

These 20 guys were all desired recruits. The OL this past year made steady improvement. There will be five returning starters for the 2019 season. Those behind them are developing. I don't see the problem.

If you want to say our situation at LB or safety is dangerously thin, we could talk. Both those positions are only two deep in scholarship players, pending adding a signee or two later this week. The OL is four deep and that's enough for any coach to work with.

Steady improvement? Is that why our QB was always running for his life? O but since we beat up a school with 2 and 3 stars in the bowl game then that means they are much improved now? 

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Steady improvement? Is that why our QB was always running for his life? O but since we beat up a school with 2 and 3 stars in the bowl game then that means they are much improved now? 

If you didn't see improved O-line play as the season progressed, it's because you didn't want to admit anything positive was happening.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

If you didn't see improved O-line play as the season progressed, it's because you didn't want to admit anything positive was happening.

Probaly. Just not in my nature to be positive while Malzahn is still around! lol. I want my boys Schwartz, Seth Williams, Worm and now Bo Nix to get the absolute most out of their talent. I have no faith that Gus can do that. 

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Probaly. Just not in my nature to be positive while Malzahn is still around! lol. I want my boys Schwartz, Seth Williams, Worm and now Bo Nix to get the absolute most out of their talent. I have no faith that Gus can do that. 

Gus has taken AU to two SEC championship games and won one of them in the last six years.  There's no reason to think he won't accomplish that again, and therefore he'll get the most out of his players in the process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Gus has taken AU to two SEC championship games and won one of them in the last six years.  There's no reason to think he won't accomplish that again, and therefore he'll get the most out of his players in the process.

He has had 4 or 5 losses every season since 2013. So there is no reason to not think another mediocre gus special is coming this season. The most out of his players? We take 4 and 5 star Wrs and make them exclusively blockers. Keep on pumping sunshine Gus is not the answer. AND NO I do not know who out there is the answer but I rather keep swinging for the fences than accept mediocrity. Clemson has lit a fire under my and a lot other fans butts. IF our little brother can become a college football powerhouse we have NO EXCUSES to not be one as well. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

So I'm no sunshine pumper but i do have to agree there was improvement on the O L especially the last 3-4 games....go back and watch ....and they really improved in pass pro.....but Stidham was not on his game....instead of stepping up in the pocket like a veteran SEC QB shoul dhave done he scrambled to his non throwing side every time there was a hint of pressure...often times with  clean pocket....I dont know if he was scared of injury or what....but he made the pass pro look worse than it was especially the latter part of the season. I think we will have a solid O line 19 if and as long as the center position improves, which it should with another year of S/C and experience.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

For whatever it's worth that  2 and 3 star team did beat Ohio State. 

24 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

We could have 50 O linemen but if they aren't developed then it really doesn't matter. 

Hey now. Don’t bring that logic stuff to a message board.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Auskip said:

For whatever it's worth that  2 and 3 star team did beat Ohio State. 

Ohio State did the yearly Clemsoning thing and beat themselves in that game. May have to change the term to buckeye-ing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I saw that game. They didn’t beat themselves. They got manhandled. 

I saw the game too & they made more unforced mistakes than can be counted. Agree to disagree & move on.

I think when we field a starting OL 5 that we recruited out of HS and developed well-enough to play high caliber SEC football this conversation will end. Until then, defending the OL recruiting and development under Malzahn is silly. Recruiting and signing guys to sit for 4-5 years while we scour the transfer market every year to look for somebody capable of starting doesn’t speak highly of our system under Malzahn so far

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

We could have 50 O linemen but if they aren't developed then it really doesn't matter. 

What makes you think they aren't being developed? We'll have five returning starters this season, and by the time 2020 gets here we'll have five more starters to take their place. Given time, if Grimes can't put a successful O-line on the field with four-deep in scholarship players to work with, then coaching, not depth, is the problem.

Just because the names of the players working their way up the depth chart aren't household names today doesn't mean they won't be tomorrow.

when you are so down on a coach that winning the sec and playing for natty and playing for another sec title doesnt seem like a good season to you then you need to look in the mirror and think about what you are saying. With the schedule we have in 2019 it could very well be a long season but ridiculous comments like this reveal your true color. Get over the hate.