2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Then hire a damn OL coach that can real them in after guys like T-Will & Garner lay the groundwork for Ws. :banghead:

Can’t do a laugh  face 😆 and sad face 😞 in the thread together, so I’ll do it here! Or emojis as the kids say.

Edited by toddc

4 minutes ago, beaumak said:

on a side note, looks like Hand over at Texas signed only 3 OL. but not sure about their current situation as to availability and needs. nonetheless not stellar.

They were also 3 four stars. One of which was very very highly thought of.

36 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

What is Calvin Ashley's situation??? Is he still around???

Cal is a lost soul at the moment good kid just not very sure of himself at the moment

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because some of the players we have now will graduate, thus making room for more to come in.

Mikey imo we are in a world of hurt for 2020 on the OL but who do you see as possible starters for 2020. I am not trying to be a smart as. And yes I know you don't see practices just wondering cause I can only come up with maybe two and I pray that Kam Bell is the answer at center 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We better be signing some "instant impact" Jucos/GTs to play OT in '20 because they won't be coming from TFr right out of high school. On the current roster we're in somewhat better shape with OGs for the '20 season.

• Like 1

14 months ago Tennessee was the laughing stock of college football. They were the arm pit of the SEC. Today they sign two 5* OT’s. 

We had every opportunity to be that team today. Instead we whiffed on Wanya Morris and Charles Cross, in addition to missing on William Putnam after we led for an extended period of time. 

6 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

14 months ago Tennessee was the laughing stock of college football. They were the arm pit of the SEC. Today they sign two 5* OT’s. 

We had every opportunity to be that team today. Instead we whiffed on Wanya Morris and Charles Cross, in addition to missing on William Putnam after we led for an extended period of time. 

maybe zion will forgo basketball and transfer sports as well...he obviously cant dunk from the highlights i saw from last game  :drippingsarcasm7pa:

JB Grimes needs to be fired so hard. Can’t believe it was just Tim Horton who got booted. This man is just an absolutely horrible recruiter and should have never been allowed to be rehired in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Charles Cross

We never were a factor for him & not sure how hard we even tried to be.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Mikey imo we are in a world of hurt for 2020 on the OL but who do you see as possible starters for 2020. I am not trying to be a smart as. And yes I know you don't see practices just wondering cause I can only come up with maybe two and I pray that Kam Bell is the answer at center 

OL coaches are notorious for wanting to settle on five starters, keep them together to develop chemistry and substitute as little as possible. Therefore, we seldom see what the guys down the depth chart can do until a starter gets injured or graduates. I simply feel like the guys to do the job are there, waiting their opportunity.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

It’s not common to have zero or one returning starter. That, in and of itself, puts you behind the 8-ball. Couple that with losing your top backup at LT as well, and we’re farther behind without clear answers. That leaves you trying to sign “instant impact” players on the OL (those are Gus’ words) where everyone agrees such players rarely exist or have consistent success. Banking on true freshman or JUCO starters at OT is not a good sign. When you find one, great! But relying on it, not good. 

• Thanks 2

Auburn needs to make it to another natty bro, I've been arguing with UTk fans the whole day and the fact that they even have the gall to discuss football with me is embarrassing to Auburn. 

How did we lose to a team Vandy beat by 25? 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Auburn needs to make it to another natty bro, I've been arguing with UTk fans the whole day and the fact that they even have the gall to discuss football with me is embarrassing to Auburn. 

How did we lose to a team Vandy beat by 25? 

Pruitt has Gus number. He absolutely owns him honestly. I think 2017 Iron Bowl is the only victory he owns vs Pruitt since Pruitt became a DC in 2013 with FSU. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

Well since year after next has everyone frothing at the mouth what will we have to work with. First a redshirt jr. in A. Troxell. He should be good for sure at Rt maybe Lt. Thats one. Second we will have redshirt Jr. Nick Brahms. He did not play well this year but started 3, i believe, games. Like Troxell he will have been in the system for a long time and will be a fully developed guy in 2020, thats two. Two other guys who have all the talent necessary to be sucessful at Og will be Tashawn Manning and Brodarius Hamm, if Hamm does not move to OT. They will be big strong Rs Jr. guys. Thats four upperclass guys who have been at Auburn 4 years. We will also have Kameron Stutts as an upperclassmen and Jalil Irvin. Irvin was pretty highly thought of coming out of high school. That will be 6 guys who will have been in the system and in the weight room for three or four years. By 2020 the three guys we just signed will sophmores or Rs Freshmen. Thats 9 and i did not count Prince Sammons because to this point we have not seen anything to give us hope other than he was a 4 star guy that played dt in high school who will be a sr if he stays and will be 6'7" and 310 or so. Thats 10 if there are no grad transfers and not counting any true freshmen. Not as good as this year with all five back but not the absolute disaster some make it out either. Before spouting off take the time to look at the roster, watch guys play late in games and watch their fundamentals and if possible talk to people who do see practice. You would be surprised how much energy JB shows and how much coaching he does, if you care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Well since year after next has everyone frothing at the mouth what will we have to work with. First a redshirt jr. in A. Troxell. He should be good for sure at Rt maybe Lt. Thats one. Second we will have redshirt Jr. Nick Brahms. He did not play well this year but started 3, i believe, games. Like Troxell he will have been in the system for a long time and will be a fully developed guy in 2020, thats two. Two other guys who have all the talent necessary to be sucessful at Og will be Tashawn Manning and Brodarius Hamm, if Hamm does not move to OT. They will be big strong Rs Jr. guys. Thats four upperclass guys who have been at Auburn 4 years. We will also have Kameron Stutts as an upperclassmen and Jalil Irvin. Irvin was pretty highly thought of coming out of high school. That will be 6 guys who will have been in the system and in the weight room for three or four years. By 2020 the three guys we just signed will sophmores or Rs Freshmen. Thats 9 and i did not count Prince Sammons because to this point we have not seen anything to give us hope other than he was a 4 star guy that played dt in high school who will be a sr if he stays and will be 6'7" and 310 or so. Thats 10 if there are no grad transfers and not counting any true freshmen. Not as good as this year with all five back but not the absolute disaster some make it out either. Before spouting off take the time to look at the roster, watch guys play late in games and watch their fundamentals and if possible talk to people who do see practice. You would be surprised how much energy JB shows and how much coaching he does, if you care.

This is very true and thanks for doing the legwork.  But do you realize what you've done?  The Kool Kids are going to change the password and you won't be admitted to the pack's clubhouse.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is very true and thanks for doing the legwork.  But do you realize what you've done?  The Kool Kids are going to change the password and you won't be admitted to the pack's clubhouse.

So this is how you recruit....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So this is how you recruit....

Yep. His other buddy wasn't emotionally capable of remaining in good standing on an internet message board, so he's shopping. Actually, the similarities are uncanny. 

Speaking of, lol at this "you should look at the roster" crap. What an odd thing to say to people who clearly spend a lot of time thinking about Auburn football. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

OL coaches are notorious for wanting to settle on five starters, keep them together to develop chemistry and substitute as little as possible. Therefore, we seldom see what the guys down the depth chart can do until a starter gets injured or graduates. I simply feel like the guys to do the job are there, waiting their opportunity.

Did not answer the question as usual.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Wouldn't know it from your post! Is there never any sunshine at all where you live?

Who are you talking to? 

You're kind of obnoxious. 

Guys, nobody thinks our OL recruiting was anything other than adequate. Please consider everything about recruiting and Auburn however when you are being so critical. As a general rule we dont get the 5 star lineman that our main rivals do. We have and always have had to outwork and out hussle and just want it more to compete. We have won in 2010 and 2013 with lots of experienced guys.  That has been Auburn for 100 years. Do to the things are work against us we have to do more to get the same situation that others can get for less and we have never been able to push the legal envelope as far as others because we have our two biggest rivals on each side of us watching our every move. Just recently we have gotten almost equal ground even in the State legislature. So us as fans making a hard job even more difficult does not help. I am 100 percent with you that we failed to get a big time Left Tackle prospect. I do think just as strongly that Osborne can play right tackle, heck Oklahoma moved their 6'4" guard to tackle this year and had the most dynamic Offense college football has ever had. You do not have to be 6'5" or taller, it can be done. I guess i am saying it would help for a little less being so negative, not saying be a sunshine pumper, would help. I'll sign off yall have at it.

• Like 2

I think most people’s complaint is there is a total lack of depth. We have 1 Junior lineman on the roster, and even a sunshine post wrote him off. You’re pointing at Trox at RT, Brahms at Center, and banking on Hamm at Tackle? Two major problems, (1) what happens if anyone gets injured? and (2) what if Hamm can’t shift out to Tackle (which would leave us thin inside)? 

There is a reality that we don’t have answers for depth issues (after this season) or OT personnel. Relying on true or redshirt freshmen or grad transfers isn’t a great strategy. OU has demonstrated that you can build a team around transfers at key positions year in, year out (the QB spot for them; OT for us). But it puts pressure to land that dude every year the job comes open and injects randomness that we have no control over (will someone good hit the market each time the job is open?). 

OL recruiting has been inadequate. I’m not a doom and gloomed, but it’s impossible to reach any other conclusion when we sign 10 OL guys in four years. It leaves zero margin for error. It’s exactly the same as signing two QBs in four years, which would never happen (we have signed five in the last four years, plus Cord Sandberg). That’s inadequate even if every guy is a stud.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

I simply feel like, if I keep waiting for it, I will find the end of the Rainbow, and the Leprechaun's treasure, and it will change my life forever.

Mate, the guys are not there, because this head coach and his OL coach simply cannot evaluate talent.  Proven beyond the shadow of a doubt.  Six years.

Edited by Mid Atlantic Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. His other buddy wasn't emotionally capable of remaining in good standing on an internet message board, so he's shopping. Actually, the similarities are uncanny. 

Speaking of, lol at this "you should look at the roster" crap. What an odd thing to say to people who clearly spend a lot of time thinking about Auburn football. 

I feel like Spider-Man or Batman dealing with these Gus fantastic five....it's like a videogame and I have to deal with the flunkies then I fight a boss.....like most games once I made it to Mikey and beat up on him the game was a let down

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3